What's new

ANNOUNCEMENT: Asuswrt-Merlin support underway for 3 Wifi 7 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Good update with some supported models.

I had no idea the GT-BE98_PRO cost $1099 CAD :oops:

Good update with some supported models.

I had no idea the GT-BE98_PRO cost $1099 CAD :oops:
Yeah, and I thought that the AXE16000 was expensive. Pales in comparison! 😂

Would it be possible to choose which of the dual radios to use for a Guest network in Merlin? Stock ASUSWRT limits you to 5GHz-1 on a GT BE98 with no way to change it.

Would it be possible to choose which of the dual radios to use for a Guest network in Merlin? Stock ASUSWRT limits you to 5GHz-1 on a GT BE98 with no way to change it.
SDN functionality will be unchanged from stock firmware.

The 3006 code branch is now live on the public Github repo.

EDIT: I see the history is still screwy, I might need to clean it and re-push it later on.

EDIT2: history cleaned up. The new fixed branch is called 3006_x.

Last edited:
I just have to assume and hope that amtm and the scripts I code or support will run on these routers. The price for these models around here make me question why I do all this work for free.

I just have to assume and hope that amtm and the scripts I code or support will run on these routers. The price for these models around here make me question why I do all this work for free.
amtm's Entware installer works fine at least.

The shell environment itself isn't really changed, busybox is also unchanged. Kernel is still 4.19 on Wifi 7 devices, so the same kernel detection you might be using for HND 5.04 Wifi 6 devices will work just the same on Wifi 7. So I would expect any generic script to work fine without any changes.

Diversion might require some adjustments if you want it to also apply to Guest Networks, as these run their own instances of dnsmasq, with a separate config file. The main LAN however should be unchanged from its perspective.

Code:
admin@GT-BE98_Pro-5FA8:/# ps w | grep dnsmasq
 6274 nobody    2664 S    dnsmasq --log-async
 6275 admin     2664 S    dnsmasq --log-async
 6279 nobody    2664 S    dnsmasq -C /etc/dnsmasq-1.conf --log-async
 6280 admin     2664 S    dnsmasq -C /etc/dnsmasq-1.conf --log-async
 6284 nobody    2664 S    dnsmasq -C /etc/dnsmasq-2.conf --log-async
 6285 admin     2664 S    dnsmasq -C /etc/dnsmasq-2.conf --log-async
26867 admin     3116 S    grep dnsmasq

addon developrs who use the QR code library or chart.js for their UI will need to adjust. I'm open to discussing whether chart.js should also be updated on 3004 or only 3006. Updating on 3004 means it will be easier for developers to support it without the need to have a 3006 supported model as they will be easily able to test it on any 3004 router. It will however mean they will have to handle the fact that a 3004 router might be running either 2.x or 3.x, depending on the firmware version. So, it's a tradeoff.

(EDIT: I shouldn't write these when I'm half asleep, my initial post made no sense when I re-read it...)

Last edited:
A GT-BE98 pedig 1499 AUD-ba kerül!

This is also why GT-AXE16000 support would be important. I don't have the money to buy a new high-end router.
I wrote a letter to support asking when the final 3006 FW will be released, no reply :(

(EDIT: I shouldn't write these when I'm half asleep, my initial post made no sense when I re-read it...)
It's OK, we're made of flesh and bones unlike ChatGPT or Siri ;)
The shell environment itself isn't really changed, busybox is also unchanged. Kernel is still 4.19 on Wifi 7 devices, so the same kernel detection you might be using for HND 5.04 Wifi 6 devices will work just the same on Wifi 7. So I would expect any generic script to work fine without any changes.
Thanks, that clears some of my developing worries. Looks like Entware selection remains as is: aarch64-k3.10 (64-bit) and armv7sf-k3.2 (32-bit).

Chillax, this is only the first announcement. He didn't say these were the only devices that will be supported.
I've waited too long, I need a VPN for a lot of work, I used the J4125 as a replacement, but for better use I chose to buy the BE88U*3. I'd like to say that the current development of these three devices is indeed a bit expensive, even receiving regional regulation. In this case, the development work will be really difficult, but I don't think the BE88U can't be merged into this for development, maybe I'm a bit too anxious.

The GT-BE98 cannot be sold in North America for regulatory reasons, any shipped device sample might get rejected at the border. That's why Gnuton is taking care of it since he lives in Europe.

First screenshot.

Hi..

Will he release the firmware for GT-BE98 around the time when you release a new firmware for GT-BE98 Pro

or

he will release some new firmware for GT-BE98 only when he can?

P.S.
what I meant is whether GT-BE98 will receive the same update whenever you release a new firmware for GT-BE98 Pro or not.

I am re-evaluating whether or not to continue offering ROG UI variant for the GT models.
I’m not sure if you’re asking for individual datapoints, but if you do, here’s mine:

I used the ROG UI exactly once on my ROG GT-AX6000: after unboxing, to install Asuswrt-Merlin, with the regular (gray) UI.

So I would not miss the ROG UI if you drop it. Considering the work you already have to do for a single release, I would drop it (if I were in your shoes).

Will he release the firmware for GT-BE98 around the time when you release a new firmware for GT-BE98 Pro
Usually, Gnuton releases his firmware a bit after me, as he waits for me to finalize the new version before he can work with my code and release his own builds. I don't know what his development timeframe will be like, he also has to depend on obtaining the GPL code for his models from Asus.

Code:
- NFS not supported on WIfi 7 devices (compatibility issues between nfs-utils
  and the new glibc these devices use)

Could this feature be added later, maybe? Hoped for it, because of some pretty old Oppo players I have... no way to make them work without SMBv1 or NFS.

KrypteX said: "This would have been the way to go for 386/388 AC/AX models as well - separate GPLs specific to each model, instead of a common GPL for all of them."
This has always been the case, each model always had its own separate GPL. It's impossible to share a GPL for more than one model, as each GPL contains precompiled pieces that only work for one specific device.

This is confusing, it seemed to me you said the opposite here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ilable-for-ac-models.89583/page-4#post-906957
I may have misunderstood, could you please clarify? I thought you only get one GPL of 1GB from Asus and from that one particular version you create builds for all AC models (i.e. AC68U, AC88U, AC86U etc.)