What's new

Any way to overclock new RT-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Your router should already be running at 1000 MHz so overclocking would provide little benefit. If you're seeing the CPU loaded when running a speed test then your hardware acceleration isn't enabled. So you need to fix that rather than trying to overclock anything.
I know this is an old thread, but it always seemed to me that as long as the subject matter is relevant, this would provide a better, more informative way to cover a subject than endlessly starting new related threads. If I'm wrong, I will gladly change my thinking.

Recently while playing around with my very old RT-AC68U since the 386.13 beta I noticed that I can't seem to overclock my router anymore. It could have:
1) happened long before the 386.13 beta,
2) I just can't remember how to do it properly (it's been a long while since I've "obsessed" about my Asus Router(s) checking on them several times a day etc etc.) :rolleyes:

It's default clkfreq was 800, but I manged to get it up to 1200 stable.

I do remember that you used to have a RT-AC68U that you overclocked to 1000.

Are you aware if ASUS in a prior update/upgrade removed that functionality?

ADD:
After further testing, I see that despite the [cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep BogoMIPS] command always showing [BogoMIPS : 1599.07] no matter what clkfreq I set (800,1000,1200)

when I do set the clkfreq at 1000, or 1200 and refresh the Merlin Asuswrt GUI I do see at Tools>>Sysinfo the CPU>>CPU Frequency does show the appropriate adjustment.

Both results are out of normal (past) behavior. In the past BogoMIPS would adjust (1999.97, 2398.95) and the Merlin GUI CPU Frequency would not.

Last edited:
Are you aware if ASUS in a prior update/upgrade removed that functionality?
I was using the technique I described in post #16 with John's fork. That method hasn't work with the regular Merlin firmware for years. I've since successfully used the alternative method in post #12, but as stated you risk bricking your router.

I was using the technique I described in post #16 with John's fork. That method hasn't work with the regular Merlin firmware for years. I've since successfully used the alternative method in post #12, but as stated you risk bricking your router.
Yes, method similar to post #16 (carefully following @ironclad's method from Post #60) is what I was using with earlier Merlin versions from a few years ago. Never confirmed over the years if the overclocking was still working.

It has been years since "I set it and forgot it" (and it worked) But that just tells you how long it has been since I've been out of the "loop" and not closely following the forum and obsessing with my router(s).

Thanks for the reply!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!