What's new

Apple Wi-Fi updated and MU-MIMO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, looks like Aruba Networks doc says yes? I changed the iphone version # in link back to 12 and shows same. I have both disabled.

CLIENT DEVICE INTEROPERABILITY TEST RESULTS

The report is in error - Apple's not supporting MU-MIMO is not a technical issue, it's a patent licensing issue. The chipsets are fully capable of supporting these features, Apple has chosen not to support it.

In any event, one can chose to enable (or not) the MU-MIMO and OFDMA features, just note that in a heterogeneous network of devices that support 11a/g/n/ac/ax - you're likely not going to see these feature actually used in a connection.

The report is in error - Apple's not supporting MU-MIMO is not a technical issue, it's a patent licensing issue. The chipsets are fully capable of supporting these features, Apple has chosen not to support it.

In any event, one can chose to enable (or not) the MU-MIMO and OFDMA features, just note that in a heterogeneous network of devices that support 11a/g/n/ac/ax - you're likely not going to see these feature actually used in a connection.
Also, it seems like apple doesn't support MU-Beamforming, maybe it's a patent related issue as well?

It's not a patent-related issue. Its Apple marketing waiting to spin it into something 'magical' at some future point so the world knows apple invented it, after the fact, of course. lol

It's not a patent-related issue. Its Apple marketing waiting to spin it into something 'magical' at some future point so the world knows apple invented it, after the fact, of course. lol
Right. That sounds like something only Apple can do🤣

Also, it seems like apple doesn't support MU-Beamforming, maybe it's a patent related issue as well?

My Apple devices, at least the iPhone 14, show MU-Beamforming being used.

1716214370509.png

None of our Apple devices support MU-MIMO and no one is missing anything. Apple doesn't support features unrelated to user experience. This technology was mostly used for marketing and does from very little sometimes to straight nothing most of the time. My APs also do BeamFlex client independent beamforming on hardware level.

Yes, no one is missing anything. Keep drinking the Apple cool-aid.

This from a company that publicly states 8GB of RAM is more than 16GB of RAM on a real computer (a PC).

Apple doesn't support features unrelated to user experience.
Hmmm, no under-screen fingerprint reader, doesn't allow sideload apps (before the EU compelled Apple to allow it), no swipe back from the right side, slow charging speed, I think the list goes on and on. Apple also doesn't support 160MHz on M1 MacBook Pro/iPad back in the day, now their new M4 iPad Pro doesn't support 320MHz. Yes, I know Wi-Fi 7 is not finalised, but devices with Snapdragon 8gen 2 & FastConnect 7800, from 2 years ago, support it. This kind of thinking is precisely why Apple can reduce costs and deliver an inferior experience compared to other competitors.

I think the list goes on and on.

There are options on the market. Just find the one that fits better your expectations.

This kind of thinking

Personal devices aside I make money from multiple Apple mobile devices and Chromebooks. They are just tools in my business toolbox. I find business related device management better and with longer support in specific platforms and accordingly use whatever fits my needs. I use everything Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, Chrome, etc. For specific needs one platform is better than the other. There is no single platform with best fit for everything. This is my type of thinking. As long as my bank account numbers go up I don't care about under-screen fingerprint reader. Your thinking may be different and this is perfectly fine.

Hmmm, I don’t know. On the ‘Wireless Log’ page, the MUBF status of my iPhone 15 Pro Max is listed as ‘No’. May I ask where you got that screenshot?
That came from "System Log - Wireless Log", though when I look at the low level details as you did, my iPhone 14 also says no.

You thinking it was the Apple, Broadcom, CalTech patent thing a few years ago? Apple has now become boring, lack of innovation. Say goodbye to Tim.

Apple devices here show, PS_MAU. Low level shows MUBF "no" for devices. If it is off on router, does it need to be on to change this to see if it goes on
or stays off? Or router just reading info off of device.

Don't shoot the message poster here guy's, just laying out info I found. :p

Apple devices sold in different regions may have slightly different real life specs. Apple Web apparently shows the minimums of what they all can do. We have discussed in another thread an iPhone 15 connecting at 160MHz wide channel on 5GHz band and actually doing corresponding to the link speed throughput. As per official specs not possible, but found working in reality. Perhaps different Wi-Fi chip was used on this particular device sold in their specific region.

Last edited:
None of our Apple devices support MU-MIMO and no one is missing anything. Apple doesn't support features unrelated to user experience. This technology was mostly used for marketing and does from very little sometimes to straight nothing most of the time. My APs also do BeamFlex client independent beamforming on hardware level.

Apple has to write their own drivers for the WiFi chipsets - so they have the luxury perhaps, of what features they decide they want to support - and as mentioned, there is an IP/Patent minefield out there they want to avoid if possible.

Anyways - not sure what everyone is getting excited about Apple's support (or not) of certain WiFi features in the spec - MU-MIMO and OFDMA are optional, not mandatory requirements as defined by both IEEE 802.11 working groups and the WiFi Alliance.

I tend to be more QC-Atheros and Intel biased to some degree, mostly out of driver support and cost concerns - QCA for AP's, and Intel for Clients.

That being said - I've never really had any issues with Apple devices on any WLAN - they typically just work...

Personal devices aside I make money from multiple Apple mobile devices and Chromebooks.

Funny you mention Chromebooks - in my experience, most of them are very good on WiFi, at least with the Intel CPU's that use Intel WiFi... I've had issues with Bluetooth, but that's not related to chipsets, but the bluetooth userland implementation...