What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U won't update Firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ijbranch

Occasional Visitor
Hi Team,
I updated my RT-AC86U to firmware v 386.13 without issue.
There is now a 386.13.22 release which I have downloaded however my ASUS won't load it via the Manual Firmware Update option. :-(
No message or error, just doesn't do it/go through the actions. :-(
Is there any setting in th emodem that could be causing this?
Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Regards & TIA,
Ian

Doublecheck the firmware. Maybe you downloaded the wrong one (e.g. for the rt-AX86u or the rt-ac68u)

That was of course the first thing I checked.
It is my understanding that the modem won't load anything that is not intended for it. I could be wrong.
Is there some way on the modem to check/confirm?

It is no modem at all. It is a router.

Try rebooting first... once back up, make sure you first "safely remove disk" (your external USB drive). Then try uploading the firmware (preferably while physically connected to the router - not over wifi).

1715552445440.png

I am running a 3G/4G USB modem as a hot standby.
Is the above still applicable?
Where is that under?

I am running a 3G/4G USB modem as a hot standby.
Is the above still applicable?
Where is that under?
Yes. It's on the main screen. Click on your USB drive to see that sub menu.

Do you have a USB drive attached?

Could you please copy and paste the name of the file you're trying to upload to the router?

Looks fine. Do you have any scripts running? Anything else unusual about your setup? Perhaps power it down completely for a few minutes, then try the same steps without the USB modem attached?

Looks fine. Do you have any scripts running? Anything else unusual about your setup? Perhaps power it down completely for a few minutes, then try the same steps without the USB modem attached?
I don't know how to do scripts. I removed the USB modem and turned the router off for a minute and turned it on, tried the update, no good.
I got desperate at one stage and tried to load an older firmware from ASUS but it wouldn't look at that either.
When I click on the update it just sits there and does nothing.

I don't know how to do scripts. I removed the USB modem and turned the router off for a minute and turned it on, tried the update, no good.
I got desperate at one stage and tried to load an older firmware from ASUS but it wouldn't look at that either.
When I click on the update it just sits there and does nothing.
Try cleaning your cache... or use a different browser, or incognito mode.

Ah Ha! You gave me a thoughty.
I am using Win 11. I jumped onto my Daughter's Win10 laptop logged in copied the install file, it uploaded the file and now is at 386.13.2.
I had a suspicion in the back of my mind it might be Win 11 related.
I had tried different Browsers as well.
Thank you for your support/patience.
All good now.
Regards,
Ian

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!