What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 (15-05-2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So is this the last update and the 86u is end of life

Not officially, but yes.

I'm assuming someone mistook an AC for AX? Can't fathom this router being dropped that quickly.
Well, and the 86U pro isn't even that big of an upgrade. I know I would want more than a slightly faster CPU. If it was WiFi 6E, or even 7, in addition to the other spec changes, then I'd consider upgrading.

I for one am assuming the RT-AX86U model.

Afaik, all AC models have effectively been EOL'd because they will not receive 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware going forward. Even if they receive (major) security updates, that doesn't mean they will keep up with the constantly evolving WiFi standards the new firmware level (and drivers) would offer, and I'd consider them EOL just on those grounds.

That is why the RT-AX86U is 'effectively' EOL too, for me. For the reasons above. No 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware is planned for it today as far as we know. I've stated previously that this makes this model today not even worth $100 to me (and that would be for a brand new example, in a sealed box), with RMerlin disagreeing, based on hardware. But hardware (alone) does not make a router sing. Nor does it make much sense to buy one today if you expect many years of cutting-edge performance from it (as it promised when first introduced).

And for completeness, the RT-AX86U Pro also isn't a consideration at all (even though it will get the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware). Not when proven, better (hardware), and more tested/stable models such as the GT-AX6000 are available for less or equivalent money.

Continual updates are one reason why Asus is head and shoulders above manufacturers like NG which give a handful of updates for their products and quickly drop them when newer models come out (only to repeat their errors continuously).

When online, the landscape is constantly changing, as should the firmware (to keep up with the changes as they come up).

Mere support on older firmware levels isn't the same thing (at least, not to me).

EOL is more than a list, it is the effort that is being put into the hardware already sold/available.

And let's be clear; I'm not blaming Asus for this either, there are no unlimited resources for anyone... When the hardware for one reason or another (actual hardware limitation, SDK limitations, kernel level limitation, etc.) is past its prime, it's best to let that hardware be graciously retired. Even if Asus (as a business) would rather keep selling you the inventory it has stocked up.

EOL does have a technical meaning to ASUS (and there is a list). It is kind of confusing when some people are saying various models are ‘effectively’ EOL. This can be very confusing to people who don’t spend extensive amounts of time on the forum.

Nobody has done that. I posted my reasons clearly for why I consider it so.

Yes your personal opinion and frankly a blanket statement that means nothing. The FACT is Asus has NOT dropped support for the AX86 series.

No, not for the series. For the original RT-AX86U though, it is stuck on the older 3.0.0.4.xxx level firmware though.

To me, that is not good enough for a main router with the performance the hardware has.

It may be for you.

My personal opinion can be ignored at your peril. Your choice.

No, not for the series. For the original RT-AX86U though, it is stuck on the older 3.0.0.4.xxx level firmware though.

Am i wrong in saying anything non Pro or GT is stuck on 3.0.0.4. That don't mean much to most. We just want a router that works and updated for security issues at least. I am good with that until i decide what's next. I just picked up the AX86S in December of 2022. Purchased with a 150.00 Best buy card and trading in my old trusty AC3100 i ended up paying 11.00 US dollars for it out of pocket. Not ready to switch anytime soon.

Good for you.

Not for me.

To each their own. My reasons are stated. Your statements are more like 'hope' to me.

I hope for your sake, I'm wrong.

1) You need to look up "opinion" apparently
2) "I for one am assuming the RT-AX86U model." means you are assuming EOL.

I got an AX-6000, put 3.0.0.6 stock on it, and went the new Merlin beta within days. Bug-ridden junk. Multiple screens broken out of the box. Even with your assumption, i wouldn't lose sleep over "missing out" on 3.0.0.6, yet.

1) You need to look up "opinion" apparently
2) "I for one am assuming the RT-AX86U model." means you are assuming EOL.

I got an AX-6000, put 3.0.0.6 stock on it, and went the new Merlin beta within days. Bug-ridden junk. Multiple screens broken out of the box. Even with your assumption, i wouldn't lose sleep over "missing out" on 3.0.0.6, yet.

Yes, I am assuming it is also for that model. I'm not assuming my opinion is fact. But yet, it is based on logic, which seemingly many members here can't differentiate between.

I haven't even tried the 3.0.0.6.xxx firmware yet. No need to from the reports we're getting here about it. But that doesn't make it less of the future either. Stumbling blocks are to be expected, based on history.

But thinking that 3.0.0.4.xxx will be equal to 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (even if it takes a few months for '6 to get there) is also believing in a fantasy. (With regards to how long they will both be supported, how quickly each will be updated, and how secure and performant they will actually be).

Getting flashbacks of the 'factory reset is required' thread here again.

Just state facts. Not opinions.

I'm stating my facts. And yes, those are based on my perspective of the issue(s), as a whole. Other opinions on the value of those facts are also welcome. But that doesn't lessen what I've stated. At least, not by anything that has been said so far.

And what are facts anyways? Just opinions that others believe too.

And even if they are not facts to many, where does it say we can't express opinions on these forums?

Seems like there are a lot of judgmental individuals here lately. Thats okay. I can explain myself. I hope they can comprehend.

Yes, I am assuming it is also for that model. I'm not assuming my opinion is fact. But yet, it is based on logic, which seemingly many members here can't differentiate between.

I haven't even tried the 3.0.0.6.xxx firmware yet. No need to from the reports we're getting here about it. But that doesn't make it less of the future either. Stumbling blocks are to be expected, based on history.

But thinking that 3.0.0.4.xxx will be equal to 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (even if it takes a few months for '6 to get there) is also believing in a fantasy. (With regards to how long they will both be supported, how quickly each will be updated, and how secure and performant they will actually be).

I'm stating my facts. And yes, those are based on my perspective of the issue(s), as a whole. Other opinions on the value of those facts are also welcome. But that doesn't lessen what I've stated. At least, not by anything that has been said so far.

And what are facts anyways? Just opinions that others believe too.

And even if they are not facts to many, where does it say we can't express opinions on these forums?

Seems like there are a lot of judgmental individuals here lately. Thats okay. I can explain myself. I hope they can comprehend.
I been following along and I believe nobody knows what asus is doing but when you put things into perspective, 3004 is technically eol since all the work will now be on 3006 right? They might backport but why would they when they want you to buy new routers each 3 years. 3006 will be their focus now. I'll move away from my ax86u in a few months when the major bugs are ironed out

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!