What's new

AdGuardHome Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI) cont.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You know what, I didn't even really think on this one before asking for a feature. I just realized the easiest way to see the schema version is to parse the changelog.

Code:
grep -oE 'schema.*to[[:space:]][0-9]{1,2}' /opt/etc/AdGuardHome/CHANGELOG.md
schema version has changed from 24 to 27
schema version has changed from 23 to 24
schema version has changed from 20 to 23
schema version has changed from 17 to 20
schema version has changed from 14 to 16
schema version has changed from 12 to 14
schema version has changed from 10 to 12

Code:
grep -m1 -oE 'schema.*to[[:space:]][0-9]{1,2}' /opt/etc/AdGuardHome/CHANGELOG.md | awk '{ print $NF }'

As far as I can tell, you seem to be the only one actually reporting on this issue. I was hoping someone else who shares the same problem would provide more details than just the three lines of terminal log you have reported here. Maybe you can share additional details about your .yaml (such as its contents), your entire ssh terminal session image log (not just the 3 lines), and setup (including other addons you use) in private message. I am willing to go the extra mile on the research end to solve the problem, but all you have shared with me here is three lines. For me, that's not helpful because I am unable to reproduce the problem. The only problem I have ever had with the installer was when I ran it so many dam times in a day trying to troubleshoot this "ghost" issue, I got ratelimited by Github for excessive queries in a day,
3 lines error output is all it's giving me bud ...

Line 5 corresponds to the IP and port it listens on, as we can see from the default config file generated. The error itself makes no sense ... which is part of the issue ...

I pushed a few minor fixes, I hope this time it fixes it for you. Please let me know the outcome if you choose to roll the dice again.

When I don't need the internet to be 100% stable for work I'll have another look.

Not really a guaranty of success, but for me I found that I need to click on "Disable Protection" on the Dashboard page in the Web Admin GUI before being able to do an upgrade.
Without doing so, either I can receive "no internet" or any communication related problem and/or the upgrade process failed (generally because of a time out).
I did it again this morning (disable protection) because I received an error message about internet connection problem (which is false because Internet was and is still running fine).
Maybe this simple trick could help some people having problem upgrading.
I never had trouble with yaml file, even when version has changed. Maybe disabling the protection (or stopping the service, which I did sometime before disabling only the protection now) was a good workaround.
hope this will help

Not really a guaranty of success, but for me I found that I need to click on "Disable Protection" on the Dashboard page in the Web Admin GUI before being able to do an upgrade.
Without doing so, either I can receive "no internet" or any communication related problem and/or the upgrade process failed (generally because of a time out).
I did it again this morning (disable protection) because I received an error message about internet connection problem (which is false because Internet was and is still running fine).
Maybe this simple trick could help some people having problem upgrading.
I never had trouble with yaml file, even when version has changed. Maybe disabling the protection (or stopping the service, which I did sometime before disabling only the protection now) was a good workaround.
hope this will help
That sounds like a useful tip for people having an internet error with AGH. The real question is what is the root cause for the internet error. Too bad the installer won't let me just disable protection without stopping adguardhome altogether. Maybe I could incorporate an "early" adguardhome stop, but that also means waiting for it to fully stop and for the router to restablilize before proceeding with the upgrade process.

That sounds like a useful tip for people having an internet error with AGH. The real question is what is the root cause for the internet error. Too bad the installer won't let me just disable protection without stopping adguardhome altogether. Maybe I could incorporate an "early" adguardhome stop, but that also means waiting for it to fully stop and for the router to restablilize before proceeding with the upgrade process.
That sounds like a great idea and I totally agree about the need to a validation/check of the disable status.
But regarding time that this command could take and router stabilization: I have two monitors, in one I have the Web Admin GUI opened and my Putty with AMTM in the other screen. So, it is really a matter of few seconds between the time I click on "Disable Protection", confirm the disable status by looking to the color and the little "Off" on the upper left of the screen and the launching of the update inside the installer.
So my point is, yes we need validation, but even if there is, as an example, a 10 sec waiting period (which should be enough because I always did it before it), this is still better than having to do it again the whole process after receiving an error message.
I am thinking loud out and only trying to help to brainstorm. I know you have to be better prepare and built a solution as strong as possible to attempt to accommodate every scenario.
Thanks a lot for your work and to allow us to participate in this project, at least by exchanging ideas.

That sounds like a great idea and I totally agree about the need to a validation/check of the disable status.
But regarding time that this command could take and router stabilization: I have two monitors, in one I have the Web Admin GUI opened and my Putty with AMTM in the other screen. So, it is really a matter of few seconds between the time I click on "Disable Protection", confirm the disable status by looking to the color and the little "Off" on the upper left of the screen and the launching of the update inside the installer.
So my point is, yes we need validation, but even if there is, as an example, a 10 sec waiting period (which should be enough because I always did it before it), this is still better than having to do it again the whole process after receiving an error message.
I am thinking loud out and only trying to help to brainstorm. I know you have to be better prepare and built a solution as strong as possible to attempt to accommodate every scenario.
Thanks a lot for your work and to allow us to participate in this project, at least by exchanging ideas.
I have more questions. Is it just the installer flagging that you are having internet "issues" (as in an installer script error), or does your router on the main Webui screen actually display an internet disconnect when you are actually not?

@jsbeddow

I just opened a feature request with the AdGuardHome developers to see if we can get a feature to make keeping track of the schema version easier.

Looks like this issue was a quick-win because the support was quickly and easily added- https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/issues/6545#issuecomment-1858748522 . It is currently available in the latest edge version:

Code:
# AdGuardHome -v --version
AdGuard Home
Version: v0.108.0-a.795+d3283273
Schema version: 27
Channel: edge
Go version: go1.20.12
Commit time: 2023-12-15 17:27:47 +0000 UTC
GOOS: linux
GOARCH: arm64
Race: false
Dependencies:
        github.com/AdguardTeam/dnsproxy@v0.60.1(sum: h1:YveGe7UZLaAiePkaV3orkc0IIfPX9vi/qQDIFdeO//A=)
        github.com/AdguardTeam/golibs@v0.18.0(sum: h1:ckS2YK7t2Ub6UkXl0fnreVaM15Zb07Hh1gmFqttjpWg=)
        github.com/AdguardTeam/urlfilter@v0.17.3(sum: h1:fg/ObbnO0Cv6aw0tW6N/ETDMhhNvmcUUOZ7HlmKC3rw=)
        github.com/NYTimes/gziphandler@v1.1.1(sum: h1:ZUDjpQae29j0ryrS0u/B8HZfJBtBQHjqw2rQ2cqUQ3I=)
        github.com/aead/chacha20@v0.0.0-20180709150244-8b13a72661da(sum: h1:KjTM2ks9d14ZYCvmHS9iAKVt9AyzRSqNU1qabPih5BY=)
        github.com/aead/poly1305@v0.0.0-20180717145839-3fee0db0b635(sum: h1:52m0LGchQBBVqJRyYYufQuIbVqRawmubW3OFGqK1ekw=)
        github.com/ameshkov/dnscrypt/v2@v2.2.7(sum: h1:aEitLIR8HcxVodZ79mgRcCiC0A0I5kZPBuWGFwwulAw=)
        github.com/ameshkov/dnsstamps@v1.0.3(sum: h1:Srzik+J9mivH1alRACTbys2xOxs0lRH9qnTA7Y1OYVo=)
        github.com/beefsack/go-rate@v0.0.0-20220214233405-116f4ca011a0(sum: h1:0b2vaepXIfMsG++IsjHiI2p4bxALD1Y2nQKGMR5zDQM=)
        github.com/bluele/gcache@v0.0.2(sum: h1:WcbfdXICg7G/DGBh1PFfcirkWOQV+v077yF1pSy3DGw=)
        github.com/digineo/go-ipset/v2@v2.2.1(sum: h1:k6skY+0fMqeUjjeWO/m5OuWPSZUAn7AucHMnQ1MX77g=)
        github.com/fsnotify/fsnotify@v1.7.0(sum: h1:8JEhPFa5W2WU7YfeZzPNqzMP6Lwt7L2715Ggo0nosvA=)
        github.com/go-ping/ping@v1.1.0(sum: h1:3MCGhVX4fyEUuhsfwPrsEdQw6xspHkv5zHsiSoDFZYw=)
        github.com/google/go-cmp@v0.6.0(sum: h1:ofyhxvXcZhMsU5ulbFiLKl/XBFqE1GSq7atu8tAmTRI=)
        github.com/google/gopacket@v1.1.19(sum: h1:ves8RnFZPGiFnTS0uPQStjwru6uO6h+nlr9j6fL7kF8=)
        github.com/google/renameio/v2@v2.0.0(sum: h1:UifI23ZTGY8Tt29JbYFiuyIU3eX+RNFtUwefq9qAhxg=)
        github.com/google/uuid@v1.4.0(sum: h1:MtMxsa51/r9yyhkyLsVeVt0B+BGQZzpQiTQ4eHZ8bc4=)
        github.com/insomniacslk/dhcp@v0.0.0-20231206064809-8c70d406f6d2(sum: h1:9K06NfxkBh25x56yVhWWlKFE8YpicaSfHwoV8SFbueA=)
        github.com/josharian/native@v1.1.1-0.20230202152459-5c7d0dd6ab86(sum: h1:elKwZS1OcdQ0WwEDBeqxKwb7WB62QX8bvZ/FJnVXIfk=)
        github.com/kardianos/service@v1.2.2(sum: h1:ZvePhAHfvo0A7Mftk/tEzqEZ7Q4lgnR8sGz4xu1YX60=)
        github.com/mdlayher/ethernet@v0.0.0-20220221185849-529eae5b6118(sum: h1:2oDp6OOhLxQ9JBoUuysVz9UZ9uI6oLUbvAZu0x8o+vE=)
        github.com/mdlayher/netlink@v1.7.2(sum: h1:/UtM3ofJap7Vl4QWCPDGXY8d3GIY2UGSDbK+QWmY8/g=)
        github.com/mdlayher/packet@v1.1.2(sum: h1:3Up1NG6LZrsgDVn6X4L9Ge/iyRyxFEFD9o6Pr3Q1nQY=)
        github.com/mdlayher/socket@v0.4.1(sum: h1:eM9y2/jlbs1M615oshPQOHZzj6R6wMT7bX5NPiQvn2U=)
        github.com/miekg/dns@v1.1.57(sum: h1:Jzi7ApEIzwEPLHWRcafCN9LZSBbqQpxjt/wpgvg7wcM=)
        github.com/patrickmn/go-cache@v2.1.0+incompatible(sum: h1:HRMgzkcYKYpi3C8ajMPV8OFXaaRUnok+kx1WdO15EQc=)
        github.com/pierrec/lz4/v4@v4.1.19(sum: h1:tYLzDnjDXh9qIxSTKHwXwOYmm9d887Y7Y1ZkyXYHAN4=)
        github.com/pkg/errors@v0.9.1(sum: h1:FEBLx1zS214owpjy7qsBeixbURkuhQAwrK5UwLGTwt4=)
        github.com/quic-go/qpack@v0.4.0(sum: h1:Cr9BXA1sQS2SmDUWjSofMPNKmvF6IiIfDRmgU0w1ZCo=)
        github.com/quic-go/qtls-go1-20@v0.4.1(sum: h1:D33340mCNDAIKBqXuAvexTNMUByrYmFYVfKfDN5nfFs=)
        github.com/quic-go/quic-go@v0.40.0(sum: h1:GYd1iznlKm7dpHD7pOVpUvItgMPo/jrMgDWZhMCecqw=)
        github.com/ti-mo/netfilter@v0.5.1(sum: h1:cqamEd1c1zmpfpqvInLOro0Znq/RAfw2QL5wL2rAR/8=)
        github.com/u-root/uio@v0.0.0-20230305220412-3e8cd9d6bf63(sum: h1:YcojQL98T/OO+rybuzn2+5KrD5dBwXIvYBvQ2cD3Avg=)
        go.etcd.io/bbolt@v1.3.8(sum: h1:xs88BrvEv273UsB79e0hcVrlUWmS0a8upikMFhSyAtA=)
        golang.org/x/crypto@v0.16.0(sum: h1:mMMrFzRSCF0GvB7Ne27XVtVAaXLrPmgPC7/v0tkwHaY=)
        golang.org/x/exp@v0.0.0-20231206192017-f3f8817b8deb(sum: h1:c0vyKkb6yr3KR7jEfJaOSv4lG7xPkbN6r52aJz1d8a8=)
        golang.org/x/net@v0.19.0(sum: h1:zTwKpTd2XuCqf8huc7Fo2iSy+4RHPd10s4KzeTnVr1c=)
        golang.org/x/sync@v0.5.0(sum: h1:60k92dhOjHxJkrqnwsfl8KuaHbn/5dl0lUPUklKo3qE=)
        golang.org/x/sys@v0.15.0(sum: h1:h48lPFYpsTvQJZF4EKyI4aLHaev3CxivZmv7yZig9pc=)
        golang.org/x/text@v0.14.0(sum: h1:ScX5w1eTa3QqT8oi6+ziP7dTV1S2+ALU0bI+0zXKWiQ=)
        gopkg.in/natefinch/lumberjack.v2@v2.2.1(sum: h1:bBRl1b0OH9s/DuPhuXpNl+VtCaJXFZ5/uEFST95x9zc=)
        gopkg.in/yaml.v3@v3.0.1(sum: h1:fxVm/GzAzEWqLHuvctI91KS9hhNmmWOoWu0XTYJS7CA=)
        howett.net/plist@v1.0.1(sum: h1:37GdZ8tP09Q35o9ych3ehygcsL+HqKSwzctveSlarvM=)
# AdGuardHome -v --version | awk '/Schema version:/{ print $NF }'

In my case schema wasn't the error as you can see that 27 is on my "error" file ...

What the issue was is a mystery to me as it's now somehow fixed in some of the last patches, as you were!

In my case schema wasn't the error as you can see that 27 is on my "error" file ...

What the issue was is a mystery to me as it's now somehow fixed in some of the last patches, as you were!
No worries, I know your issue was not with the schema version. ----> Schema version issue was only a minor annoyance last year when AGH made some syntax changes to the .yaml that actually required users to actively know they had to modify the schema to upgrade to the newer .yaml syntax. Also, back when I first wrote the installer, there was an issue where the API was creating bad syntax as well. I reported it. It has since been fixed. Any time there is an actual issue, I have had to add drop-ins to fix the problem manually. That shouldn't be the case. With the API, the upgrade should just be simple. Which the AGH developers have been working on making better.

I have more questions. Is it just the installer flagging that you are having internet "issues" (as in an installer script error), or does your router on the main Webui screen actually display an internet disconnect when you are actually not?
Most of the time, this is installer related issue because Internet is working fine.
I have to double check but maybe I am using a DNS Blocklist that blocked the URL and the installer is giving an error.
I will try an update and have a look to the query logs to see if I can find anything.

EDIT: Just did the minor upgrade :
  • I didn't disable AdGuardHome before performing the upgrade
  • Using Putty, inside AMTM's main menu, I typed "ag" to enter into AGH installer
  • It took me 5 attempts to get the installer performing the upgrade, all previous times, it exits himself after the 4th et 5th first line, the line saying that DNS is configured correctly
  • I always checked the Query Logs all the time and there was nothing related to the router and/or to the destination URL that would be blocked
  • Installation was done without any error
I know this is not helping, I am just reporting it "in case of" this could be useful.

Last edited:
Most of the time, this is installer related issue because Internet is working fine.
I have to double check but maybe I am using a DNS Blocklist that blocked the URL and the installer is giving an error.
I will try an update and have a look to the query logs to see if I can find anything.

EDIT: Just did the minor upgrade :
  • I didn't disable AdGuardHome before performing the upgrade
  • Using Putty, inside AMTM's main menu, I typed "ag" to enter into AGH installer
  • It took me 5 attempts to get the installer performing the upgrade, all previous times, it exits himself after the 4th et 5th first line, the line saying that DNS is configured correctly
  • I always checked the Query Logs all the time and there was nothing related to the router and/or to the destination URL that would be blocked
  • Installation was done without any error
I know this is not helping, I am just reporting it "in case of" this could be useful.
Just to let you know it is probably something in your blocklist, (probably since you have to disable adblocking.), but I don't have control over this behavior since I don't populate allow listing for adguardhome. What ever you do figure out, please keep sharing it here because it may help someone with a similar issue. In the meantime I will do my own research when I am not inodated at work.

Just to let you know it is probably something in your blocklist, (probably since you have to disable adblocking.), but I don't have control over this behavior since I don't populate allow listing for adguardhome. What ever you do figure out, please keep sharing it here because it may help someone with a similar issue. In the meantime I will do my own research when I am not inodated at work.
Will do it for sure.

Has anyone seen this error while trying to install AdGuardHome?

Code:
Info:  Detected GT-AX11000 router.
 Info:  Detected Linux platform.
 Info:  Detected ARMv8 architecture.
 Info:  JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled.
 Info:  DNS Environment is Ready.
 Info:  Choose what you want to do:
  1) Install/Update AdGuardHome
  2) Uninstall
  q) Quit
 =>  Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-2/q]: 1
 Info:  This operation will install AdGuardHome and related files (<6MB)
 Info:  to ENTWARE, no other data will be changed.
 Info:  Also some start scripts will be installed/modified as required.
 =>  Do you want to install AdGuardHome? [y/n]: y
 *** Error:  Unable to detect the Internet!
 Info:  Operation aborted, returning to Main Menu. You can quit or continue.

I uninstall previous Edge version and I'm trying to install the latest stable released. I'm able to access the internet as well.

Has anyone seen this error while trying to install AdGuardHome?

Code:
Info:  Detected GT-AX11000 router.
 Info:  Detected Linux platform.
 Info:  Detected ARMv8 architecture.
 Info:  JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled.
 Info:  DNS Environment is Ready.
 Info:  Choose what you want to do:
  1) Install/Update AdGuardHome
  2) Uninstall
  q) Quit
 =>  Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-2/q]: 1
 Info:  This operation will install AdGuardHome and related files (<6MB)
 Info:  to ENTWARE, no other data will be changed.
 Info:  Also some start scripts will be installed/modified as required.
 =>  Do you want to install AdGuardHome? [y/n]: y
 *** Error:  Unable to detect the Internet!
 Info:  Operation aborted, returning to Main Menu. You can quit or continue.

I uninstall previous Edge version and I'm trying to install the latest stable released. I'm able to access the internet as well.
Go back to the main ssh screen.

run this command

curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer master

from the ssh command line.

install from this menu.

Go back to the main ssh screen.

run this command

curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer master

from the ssh command line.

install from this menu.
Thanks for the quick response but I received the same error message. Any other ideas I may be able to try? Thanks again!

UPDATE: I'm not sure what it did (maybe a refresh) but it finally worked! Thanks again!

Last edited:
If you are going to be around for a little bit, I have some other fixes.
I'll be around!!! I'm trying out the latest AdGuardHome stable release without issues so far!!!

Do you recommend any changes below (w/optimistic caching = enabled) for the GT-AX11000?

Code:
DNS cache configuration
Here you can configure DNS cache
Cache size
DNS cache size (in bytes). To disable caching, leave empty.
Override minimum TTL
Extend short time-to-live values (seconds) received from the upstream server when caching DNS responses.
Override maximum TTL
Set a maximum time-to-live value (seconds) for entries in the DNS cache.

Last edited:
I'll be around!!! I'm trying out the latest AdGuardHome stable release without issues so far!!!

Do you recommend any changes below (w/optimistic caching = enabled) for the GT-AX11000?

Code:
DNS cache configuration
Here you can configure DNS cache
Cache size
DNS cache size (in bytes). To disable caching, leave empty.
Override minimum TTL
Extend short time-to-live values (seconds) received from the upstream server when caching DNS responses.
Override maximum TTL
Set a maximum time-to-live value (seconds) for entries in the DNS cache.
That's basically what I am using.

That's basically what I am using.
Thanks, I'll leave it as is; every now & then I"ll see a "dns: buffer size too small" message but it's not affecting anything!

I saw 1.7.1 thru AMTM just now!