What's new

AX86U no longer boots if usb is connected after latest update 3004.388.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zany130

Regular Contributor
After updating to the latest update 3004.388.7 my router no longer fully boots.

lights will turn on, and the Wi-Fi gets initialized, but there is no internet connection, and I can't connect to the router's web UI or SSH from a computer that is wired directly into the router with ethernet. If I unplug the router, remove the USB, and turn it on, everything works as normal. any ideas?

lights will turn on, and the Wi-Fi gets initialized, but there is no internet connection, and I can't connect to the router's web UI or SSH from a computer that is wired directly into the router with ethernet. If I unplug the router, remove the USB, and turn it on, everything works as normal. any ideas?
After it boots as normal without the USB, log into the GUI and examine the System Log. Scroll back past the messages from the successful boot and look at the messages from the unsuccessful boot.

If you don't see any messages from that period disable or uninstall scribe and try again.

Did you unmount the USB before you first upgraded the firmware to 388.7 ?
If not - reboot [power cycle in needed] without the USB and flash again with 388.7

Wait 5 minutes - then plug in the USB and wait to see if your addons begin to function.
If not - reboot from GUI and see if you can get a normal startup including add-ons.

If that still fails - best format the USB in a PC to NTSC and start again with amtm - format disk etc

I have had issues with AX86U when forgetting to unmount USB before attempting firmware upgrade.

Did you unmount the USB before you first upgraded the firmware to 388.7 ?
If not - reboot [power cycle in needed] without the USB and flash again with 388.7

Wait 5 minutes - then plug in the USB and wait to see if your addons begin to function.
If not - reboot from GUI and see if you can get a normal startup including add-ons.

If that still fails - best format the USB in a PC to NTSC and start again with amtm - format disk etc

I have had issues with AX86U when forgetting to unmount USB before attempting firmware upgrade.
Didn't even know it was recommended to umount the USB before updating😓

that may explain why my entware install was broken on my USB! (found out by plugin in the USB after a successful boot and ssh into the router)

after using amtm to reinstall entware I was able to reboot with the USB plugged in no problem

I have some start-up scripts in the post_mount jffs scripts that rely on entware stuff, so it might have been getting stuck there

Anyway, the solution was to boot with the USB unplugged, plug it back in after a successful boot then use amtm to fix entware