What's new

Band steering in Asus Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It is not exactly what I am looking for, but to connect to the one that works best at that moment, and from experience, in my location, where I live, in my home, the 23.4ghz is super saturated, even if I connect a good device to the 2.4 the Navigation becomes difficult at times (being next door).
It wouldn't be because of distance, but because of "quality."

Quality is a much broader issue than band steering.

Quality aside, it sounds like you want to decide the band connection for conditions specific enough that you may want to try using separate SSIDs (no SC) and band steer your clients manually by connecting each to the preferred WLANs/SSIDs.

OE

Comcast routers suck. I could never use an ISP router. Low/High-end routers don't require a change of settings often either.
I couldn't agree more. I remember one time when they upgraded my plan but comcast refused to upgrade my modem/router to support the upgraded plan speeds. It was like arguing tooth and nail. Thank goodness for Comcast retention department. They were so moved when i threaten to leave they not only gave me an up-to-date modem, they also gave me a discount on my next three months bill.

Seems like here in North America we mostly get cheap stuff as usual. In Europe there is Zyxel, Sagem, Nokia, AVM, etc.

So, brand name cheap stuff. Got it.

Some people underestimate the capabilities of ISP provided gateways. Some of them are very high quality hardware with faster CPUs than many high-end routers and tuned for compatibility radios. Locked down firmware ensures higher level of security. ISPs don't want support calls. Not everyone is obsessed with changing settings anyway.
And it is very true.
I changed operators a few months ago, between tests I left my ISP router and, although it is true that I have not used it for more than 4 or 5 days in a row, I was pleasantly surprised.
The band steering operation is simply great.
Otherwise, it's normal, but there is something I want to do with said ISP router and I can't, for that reason, I'm looking for a neutral one.
I don't need a "beast", I am one of those who, once they have it configured and operational, I don't usually touch the configuration at all.
Stability, functionality, everything I can through cable (tele work) but if I buy a router and they tell me "the band steering works very well" and when I have it, it doesn't work at all... well no...
After already discarding the brand I used before, because apart from that "problem" I have seen other basic ones (no connection with IPv6 when my provider gives it to me, among other things...) I went to a forum of my country, to ask for recommendations, and here I ended up...

Regarding the other posts, I can't give an opinion, here in Europe, there is everything, the normal thing is that they come only a little, and people, if they want some halfway decent Wi-Fi, need to resort to higher priced offers, or put in AP's or repeaters or similar.

Although, as I mentioned, my ISP has pleasantly surprised me in all aspects...

Maybe in a few weeks (if I continue with the position) I will have to eat what I have written, hehehe.

here in Europe... if they want some halfway decent Wi-Fi

Everything comes with pros and cons. We get good Wi-Fi in North America in our matchstick houses. Breaking walls in movie fight scenes is a real thing, not special effects. I have properties on both sides of the Atlantic and Wi-Fi in each one was planned and built differently. It's more challenging in Europe for many reasons. I have plans to suffer with the Mediterranean Wi-Fi though in near future. 🤭

Some people underestimate the capabilities of ISP provided gateways. Some of them are very high quality hardware with faster CPUs than many high-end routers and tuned for compatibility radios. Locked down firmware ensures higher level of security. ISPs don't want support calls. Not everyone is obsessed with changing settings anyway.
And sometimes the isp supplied modem routers suck , I tested the suppied router could not reach my room from the router room 40- 50 feet with a few walls , the isp soloution ? Rent some nodes , yeah right . I put the thing in bridge mode and bought my Asus router whole house covered , no nodes . There is no set rule , test before you commit . Plus I like to be in control of my router . We are on a slow boat to big tech and Gov controlling everything in our lives , no thanks

Speak your piece @jerry6. Technology is political today.

The real expert to this question is @Tech9 and @Viktor Jaep . But IIRC, there is a small martian man asus employees to hold the antennas- as the device gets closer, the opportunity to use the 5Ghz band antenna increases, as the device gets further away, the opportunity to use 2.4Ghz becomes more prevalent. The problem here is the little Martian man does not always do this intuitively. Instead it relies on disconnecting and reconnecting the device in hopes the router and devices interplay allows the device to take to the other band properly.
Band steering? I'm a total pro -- just sayin! ZERO accidents! I used to drive my old band around all over the place in our VW tour bus! Totally rockin! 🎸

... All this is the reason I recommend separate SSIDs per radio and clients assigned to each manually. I call Smart Connect "Some Connect". Doesn't produce optimal results and not very smart, just provides some "connect".
+1
My EOL RT-AC66U_B1 doesn't have Smart Connect, so the separate SSIDs per radio is what I use. It works, but I still find some clients get a bit too clingy to a bad signal when moving around. However, there is a setting in Advanced Settings > Wireless > Professional > Roaming assistant. When enabled, this will disconnect the client if their RSSI falls below the threshold that you set (default -70dBm). This might help to achieve "band steering" in a manually configured Asuswrt-Merlin router that @wonder is seeking.

As a general rule, anything with "Smart" in its name is dumber than a box of rocks.

That's what we are here for. I would say that it is a good thing the smart connect settings page exist because it gives you the opportunity to correct any nuances and undesired behaviors. At the end of the day though, you may find there are a few stubborn devices that will not want to switch bands upon reconnecting. This is not too often an issue, but I am sure you can find threads in this forum where it has been reported. I recommend using the threads search engine for reading more about users experiences with smart connect.
I think you will find those old clients are going away as technology improves. It is just like the old wireless who wants to use it, not me. I have already gotten rid of any old wireless clients as it has been years.

I personally think it is not an issue nowadays as it is more of a cover for software not working correctly. When there is not an answer then they pull the old "not all clients work right" trick.