What's new

Best approach to mix aimesh nodes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ika

Regular Contributor
Hello!

There is a place where I need to help to extend WIFI coverage. The current setup are two ax58u models (one as main router and one as wired AiMesh node). The new "mancave" basement would get two ac68u as wired nodes (Yes, I told them that those models are too old and they should get newer models, but they do not want to spend money on it because "they are working fine")

What would be the best (most reliable) setting in this scenario? Perhaps setting wireless to legacy mode on the main router? Speed is no concern as the internet connection is slow, but lots of STAs are expected in the basement.

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps setting wireless to legacy mode on the main router?

No, don't touch the existing working system. Just tell them to add the extra wired nodes. Now well it will work and how reliable - they'll figure it out later.

Reactions: ika
No, don't touch the existing working system. Just tell them to add the extra wired nodes. Now well it will work and how reliable - they'll figure it out later.
Thank you for the answer.
Yes the two AX58u are very good setup (main router is Merlin, the node is stock fw). Big family, 25-ish wireless devices non-stop.
I was only thinking about it because I was worried about disconnections when STAs will roam between ax and ac routers (especially between different bands).
I will just leave the wireless on AX on the main router then and see how the AC models will do like that.
I will be there on Tuesday, I will report back.

Thank you.

Definitely not the best setup, but since they want to reuse their old hardware - let them figure it out. Don't take sysadmin responsibilities. Tell them what you think, but do whatever they tell you. Otherwise you'll be called back to fix something you won't be able to, limited by their own hardware choices.

Maybe better to set the AC68U's as wired AP's. Set the SSID's the same as the AiMesh system. Setting them as AiMesh nodes may limit WIFI settings in the AiMesh. Surprised the first commenter did not mention this...

Surprised the first commenter did not mention this...

Intentionally. They are committed on reusing whatever they already have. If someone has to go there to help with the setup - they don't know much about different configurations. In this case - AiMesh and defaults. The final result - it is what it is. Otherwise @ika has to shuttle back and forth for every complaint they may have.

Don't take sysadmin responsibilities. Tell them what you think, but do whatever they tell you. Otherwise you'll be called back to fix something you won't be able to, limited by their own hardware choices.
We are talking about relatives here (we have same grandparents), so that is not an option. I "inherited" the family sysadmin role many decades ago, but do not worry, I can manage it well, it never got out of hand. I will make sure they understand that this is not an ideal scenario, I always do when they do not listen to me.

Maybe better to set the AC68U's as wired AP's. Set the SSID's the same as the AiMesh system. Setting them as AiMesh nodes may limit WIFI settings in the AiMesh.
Thank you for the answer. I was thinking about it of course, but setups like that always made things a lot worse every time I tried, so I think I skip that option. They also have guest network, so that would complicate the separate "AP" scenario even more, me thinks.

But thanks again.

-

The whole legacy idea came up because the entire building is on 40/4Mbit cable (I use Adaptive QoS to make it better), so the only goal will be to make the wireless network stable and reliable as it is now with the two ax58u (it works extremely well, I would say business level good perhaps), so speed is no concern.

I use an AC86U as a aimesh node without issues when mixed with an AX86U as router. I think I had issues with WPA3 enabled, but I had issues with that in general so ended up disabling it.
It's not ideal, but if you want to reuse old kit then it'll certainly work.

My reaction is why on earth do they need two nodes for a single basement?...