What's new

Can anyone help with a couple of problems with an XT8 Mesh system? Issues with connectivity and client list and question about SSH command line.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SDGTR

Occasional Visitor
I recently replaced a TP Link Deco X5000 with an Asus XT8 because the Deco didn't have a lot of management options, no traffic monitoring, and had a few annoying quirks. I'm starting to think I went from the frying pan into the fryer with this move. The Asus has more management options and a traffic monitor which the Deco didn't have, but apparently the traffic monitor causes problems so I can't really use it like I would like to and it seems to have its own set of bugs and annoying quirks.

Anyway, here are my current problems.

1. I have three XT8 units. One as the main router in an office, one in the living room, one upstairs. I have a Ring alarm base station placed about 18 inches from the Living Room unit and it has been connecting to it just fine until yesterday when it dropped off and switched to the Main router which is the one with the weakest signal for it. RSSI is -85 and it was disconnecting and reconnecting at random. I tried binding it to the Living Room but when I did that it just went offline and would not connect. I then tried binding it to the Upstairs unit which is about halfway between the Living Room and Main but it also wouldn't connect to that one either and stayed offline. I "solved" it by connecting the Ring to the XT8 with a cable but I'd really prefer wifi connectivity. Any ideas? I know that placing devices too close to a router can lead to problems but..... see issue 2 below.

2. Same issue as above but this is with an AirTV2 (Sling) that is about 20 feet from the Living Room router, plenty of distance so having it too close to the router wouldn't be an issue, and has a clear line of sight with absolutely no obstructions in the way. Just like the Ring alarm, the AirTV will connect only to the Main router and not the Living Room or Upstairs, both of which are closer to it than the Main router. Its RSSI hovers between -75 and -80. When I bind it to either of the other two routers it just goes Offline and never reconnects.

You would think the problem is the satellite nodes but there are other devices connected to them without any issues.

Which led me to the third issue.

3. As part of my troubleshooting I rebooted the Living Room router, then the entire system a few times. When I did this the client list suddenly would not update correctly. As clients started to reconnect, some of them showed up in the client list, others did not. I had a total of 40 devices reconnect but the router's client list only showed 27. Some of the missing devices showed up in the client list as Offline but I confirmed that those devices were definitely connected. I did wait 10 to 15 minutes between reboots to give everything time to reconnect but even after I confirmed that all devices reconnected (I did this by going directly to each device one by one), it still would not show all of them in the client list either in Network Map client list or the AiMesh menu or the Asus Router app.

I had to reboot the entire system 3 or 4 times before the client list finally populated correctly.

Any ideas what's going on with the two devices not connecting to the satellite nodes and connecting only to the main node even though there are other devices that connect to the satellite nodes just fine?

And what might be going on with the client list?

Are there any commands I can run through SSH to clear and refresh the client list? And in general, what are some useful commands that can be used with the Asus firmware through a command line such as clearing nvram or cache or things like that. Is there a list somewhere of common commands available in the Asus firmware? So far clearing nvram and cache are the ones I'd find helpful but I'm sure there will be others in the future so if there's a list somewhere, that would help. If not, then how would I clear nvram and cache and wherever the client list might be stored?

I was really hoping the Asus would eliminate the shortcomings I found with the Deco X5000 but now I'm considering going back to the Deco and just buying a Firewalla to monitor traffic usage by device. That would be a pain though and I'd really prefer to get the Asus working.

All XT8s hardware version?
And firmware version?
Hardware is V2. Firmware is the most current one on all three units. 3.0.0.4.388_24621

This morning I woke up to find another annoyance. The Ring alarm I have connected by ethernet to the Living Room base station is now showing that it is connected, via wired connection, to the Main router.

I've also noticed that the RSSI of the devices and the mesh nodes isn't available anywhere in the web interface, only in the Asus Router app. Am I just looking in the wrong place in the web interface? It's a bit of a pain needing two management interfaces open when I'm trying to do anything on the system. I get half of the info I need in the web interface but then have to open the phone app to get the rest of the info.

The Ring alarm I have connected by ethernet to the Living Room base station is now showing that it is connected, via wired connection, to the Main router.
This usually happens for all wired devices that are always reported as connected to the main router.

I've also noticed that the RSSI of the devices and the mesh nodes isn't available anywhere in the web interface, only in the Asus Router app. Am I just looking in the wrong place in the web interface?
Did you look for RSSI in the System Log - Wireless Log ?

This usually happens for all wired devices that are always reported as connected to the main router.

Did you look for RSSI in the System Log - Wireless Log ?
The Ring alarm showing that it's connected to the wrong router is a minor annoyance.

As for the RSSI, in the Asus Router app on my phone I just select the device and when it opens up the device info, toward the bottom it shows the RSSI.

In the web interface it doesn't show it anywhere that I can see. I didn't look through the logs though. I would think that the full web interface should provide at least the same info as the app.

My main issues right now are the ones I mentioned in the first post. But it is definitely frustrating to wake up every day to a new quirk, annoyance, or thing that isn't working right with this system.

The wifi connection is showed as 1 to 4 bars in the network map -> list and in the device details available in the AiMesh screen.
The full information about the device connections is available in the System Log - Wireless Log, which IMO is easier and more practical to use than checking one device at a time.

Honestly, from a technical point of view using the app is not very practical.

Last edited:
The wifi connection is showed as 1 to 4 bars in the network map -> list and in the device details available in the AiMesh screen.
The full information about the device connections is available in the System Log - Wireless Log, which IMO is easier and more practical to use than checking one device at a time.

Honestly, from a technical point of view using the app is not very practical.
But it does have easy access to some things that are harder to find in the web UI.

Anyway, this morning the problems are still here. I wake up to find a couple of my cameras lagging like crazy so I rebooted the system and the cameras. As expected, the device lists are all now missing several devices, one of my cameras is completely offline, a couple others have a very low RSSI, for example, they are usually better than -30 but now they are at between -50 and -60.

And the alarm and AirTV still won't connect to the closest node even if I bind them to it. I'm still not giving up on the XT8 though and am going to try moving that node a few feet from where it is to see if that's the problem.

I did check the logs in the web UI and they are incomplete. The Wireless log shows the devices by MAC address rather than by the names I gave them - I can deal with that since I have a list of all my devices by MAC but the log is also not showing all the connected devices. The DHCP log also isn't showing IPs that I know are assigned to devices.

Heading over to Costco to see if they have the Deco AXE5300 system in stock for comparison. Unlike the X5000 I currently have, it has full tri-band so hopefully it finally solves all my issues. I also have a fourth Deco AP which I can add to it if needed. If it works I'll also buy a Firewalla to give me device-specific info that the Deco is missing.

Ok, unfortunately the XT8 just didn't work for me. I installed the Deco AXE5300 and the difference so far is night and day. All devices will connect to whatever mesh unit I bind them to, even the Ring alarm and AirTV2. I placed the Deco units in the exact same places that the XT8 nodes were and had no problems getting the devices to connect to them.

Sucks that I will have to buy a Firewalla to get some of the stuff that was built in to the XT8 but I really couldn't use it anyway since stuff like traffic monitoring would cause problems.

FWIW I had similar weird connection issues with the ET8 and v1 XT8.
The v2 XT8 hasn't been a real problem for me though. Good to hear you found a fix with the Deco series...

FWIW I had similar weird connection issues with the ET8 and v1 XT8.
The v2 XT8 hasn't been a real problem for me though. Good to hear you found a fix with the Deco series...
It could be my something in my wifi environment that the XT8 just didn't get along with but so far the AXE5300 has been pretty much flawless between yesterday and today.

It could also be that the Deco's OS/firmware is much simpler than the XT8's. A lot fewer features and user-configurable options. The signal strength of the XT8 is definitely higher and the Deco doesn't even give you a way to see if the nodes are actually connecting with the 6Ghz backhaul but the devices connect to the nodes they're supposed to, the device list is accurate and updates in real-time within less than 30 seconds, and overall it just works. No real tweaks needed. I guess on the consumer lines there are trade-offs. Either you get a ton of features, which also includes a ton of bugs, or you get fewer features and more reliable performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!