What's new

Computex 2017 Asus routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It was announced at CES. They just changed the name.
ASUS is very late to the party here.

I know. It's just that people never really talk about it.

I'm not sure how close to launch they are, I still see a lot of major work done for it in recent GPL releases.

It has a dedicated backhaul, yes.
Do you know that for sure? Just because it has two 5 GHz radios doesn't mean one is dedicated to backhaul. If they are smart, they won't dedicate it and use it like the other two radios.

Do you know that for sure? Just because it has two 5 GHz radios doesn't mean one is dedicated to backhaul. If they are smart, they won't dedicate it and use it like the other two radios.

Quoted from Asus's website:

"To give you maximum performance, ASUS Lyra uses three separate frequency bands. Each hub uses one band to communicate with the others, leaving the other two bands completely free for superfast connections to your devices."

Yeah, it's interesting that they mention backhaul will be dedicated, but then don't go on to confirm it'll be one of the 5GHz radios specifically...

After looking at their website again, I'm left with the impression that the dedicated backhaul channel would potentially vary between units 1-2 and units 2-3 ala a Plume-like dealio sort of thing... But who knows.

They've released Lyra iOS and Android apps, so the hardware release must not be too far behind at this point. One would hope anyway :)

Will be interesting to see the reviews once it's out, that's for sure!!

Would not be a smart move to dedicate a 2x2 5 GHz radio to backhaul.

Would not be a smart move to dedicate a 2x2 5 GHz radio to backhaul.

I won't pretend to second guess them - but even a 2*2:2 dedicated backhaul can have decent performance, as the end-points to the client, the traffic there is bursty per client.

I'm sure their engineering team has looked at the system level aspects, and in engineering, there's always the trade-off between cost and capability.

If it performed badly, they likely would find another approach.

Nothing surprising here. QCA design with one dual-band radio.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!