What's new

confirming what i've learned here...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ampdigitl

New Around Here
Here is my situation. My D-Link DI-524 is on the fritz (keeps rebooting), so I'm going to take the opportunity to jump to draft-n. I have a Macbook, so I trying to decide between the Airport Extreme or the combo of the D-Link DAP-1522 with an Buffalo WHR-G54S running DD-WRT that I had been using before as a bridge. I've been looking at the apple and the d-link, because they both use the Atheros chipset.

Environment-
I live in an apartment complex so there are a quite a few 2.5GHz networks and cordless phones. I'm looking to go 5GHz to avoid that.

Range-
I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, all on one level, so range is not as important to me.

Other Considerations-
I stream media on my XP desktop to my 360 and I'm looking to build a NAS running Ubuntu very soon as well. GigE would be great, jumbo frames would be even better. I download anime via bittorrent so UPnP would be nice along with a regular port forwarding menu. Does the Airport Extreme support either one of those?

So with all that being said, what do you guys think?

The Airport Extreme supports port forwarding. I doubt that it supports UPnP. Why does that matter to you.

If you have a router and want only 5 GHz draft 11n, then using something like the DAP-1522 is a reasonable way to go.

The Airport Extreme supports port forwarding. I doubt that it supports UPnP. Why does that matter to you.

If you have a router and want only 5 GHz draft 11n, then using something like the DAP-1522 is a reasonable way to go.

I've used some streaming media programs that work with UPnP like MediaGuide for xp media center edition. It's no biggie, i can do any port forwarding that i need manually...

I think that is UPnP AV, which is different than plain UPnP. But the router doesn't have to support either for streaming to work. That is up to the streaming source and player.

If Apple provides a review sample. Nothing definite yet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!