What's new

controld

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mikii

Regular Contributor
Has anyone tried the controld.com smartDNS commercial service? I am currently testing it and I would like to exchange ideas, impressions and configuration tips for the Merlin users.
I particularly like the logging option so far. They allow you to monitor and fix connection to specific TV service, or even block specific advertisement servers.
Basically, you can transfer several router's functions to their server and light the load for the router.
I would like to hear other users' comment about this service.

The point of having my own router is for me to have control over my network. Controld isn't that. This is not something I would ever use or recommend myself.

With every feature they offer, I would question what they're getting in return (beyond the $$ cost).

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide Zastoff. I have not tried it yet, but I was wondering:
1. hot to set Contrld for certain devices only (probably thought DNS director, but I guess that would only work with legacy DNS?)
2. What is and how to regulate the interaction between ContrlD and an active VPN with VPN Director rules.? What about the "Accept DNS Configuration" option for that VPN on the merlin router? with some Vpn, some TV channels only work with that set to "exclusive".
I guess I'll have to do some testing on my own.....

They (ControlD) have a dns client compatible with Merlin, works reasonably well. A new beta is coming perhaps next week with more features.

The point of having my own router is for me to have control over my network. Controld isn't that. This is not something I would ever use or recommend myself.

With every feature they offer, I would question what they're getting in return (beyond the $$ cost).

Well I can definitively see your point. For me it is a matter of having things working, especially a smart DNS system to watch USA and UK TV (I am in Italy). I have low technical capabilities and a little time, and managing everything on the router proved to be quite complex and time-wasting for me.

I have mine setup so all my own personal devices (mostly Apple) use a secure dns profile on the device, the rest go through the ctrld proxy on the router which handles the guest wifi as well. You can set the client to send different subnets to their own resolvers on controld.

Watching TV/streaming shows is not a priority for me. Not something I would pay for. Not something I require to live well.

Again, I don't see this as them being altruistic and (only) solving a problem (time/expertise) for people. It's what they do with this data afterward that is scary. For me, not worth it in any shape or form.

It costs about $40 a year but you get a discount if you have their VPN as well. It's a business, it's not about being altruistic. They didn't have any logs a first but people wanted it so they implemented logs, it's max 3 days I think. Their vpn doesn't keep any logs at all. It all depends on your needs I guess, for me it's worth it right now but that might change in the future. I would like to run a separate local dns server outside the router but then the guest Wifi won't work... unless Yazfi but that seems dead.

FYI ControlD is run by the same people as WindscribeVPN. Some like them some don’t.

They have logs. Whether they tell you about them or not. And I'm sure it's not just 3 days either.

People are still able to use YazFi. I'm sure they can help you get it to work too.

@Paliv, I don't see that as a positive at all. I just know at least two entities are now 'sharing' any/all your info then. ;)

They have logs. Whether they tell you about them or not. And I'm sure it's not just 3 days either.

People are still able to use YazFi. I'm sure they can help you get it to work too.

@Paliv, I don't see that as a positive at all. I just know at least two entities are now 'sharing' any/all your info then. ;)
It's neither here nor there for me, I find DNS blocking to be too much of a hassle. Just an FYI, in case people care.

Thanks for the guide Zastoff. I have not tried it yet, but I was wondering:
1. hot to set Contrld for certain devices only (probably thought DNS director, but I guess that would only work with legacy DNS?)
2. What is and how to regulate the interaction between ContrlD and an active VPN with VPN Director rules.? What about the "Accept DNS Configuration" option for that VPN on the merlin router? with some Vpn, some TV channels only work with that set to "exclusive".
I guess I'll have to do some testing on my own.....
1. Yea if you only want it for specific devices dns director can be used if the service supports ip update via ddns, I do that with nextdns for the kids school devices as a form of parental control on a time schedule. (legacy DNS)
Maybe the client @ajp2k14 suggested works better with this.
2.Been some time since i used a vpn provider, not sure how to advise since a lot has changed since i used it, vpn director did not exist..
Think i used Accept DNS Configuration = disabled and DNS was encrypted via DNSCrypt-proxy v2 or DNS over TLS.

For Accept DNS Configuration = exclusive
These can be added in the vpn configuration if you want to use another DNS server via the vpn (cloudflare in this example)
Code:
dhcp-option DNS 1.1.1.1
push "dhcp-option DNS 1.1.1.1"
/Zastoff

Last edited:
Well I can definitively see your point. For me it is a matter of having things working, especially a smart DNS system to watch USA and UK TV (I am in Italy). I have low technical capabilities and a little time, and managing everything on the router proved to be quite complex and time-wasting for me.
Control.d has serious issues in Italy. I tried their DNS and they block A LOT of legittimate websites....

Yes, when you go out, searching, for an entity that will 'do things for you', eventually (or in controld's case, right away, in some countries...) they will control you more than you asked for. At a price.

To me, this 'hidden' cost is unacceptable. Let alone the censoring they are capable of doing (and are).

Just like the new threads app which gives you a 'safe' space. But no space to speak your mind, less than even speaking the truth. Yet millions of non-critical-thinking people joined immediately, en masse. This is classic brainwashing on a world scale... to me.

Update:
I have been using controlD for quite a while and I have to say I am pretty happy with it. I mostly use their policy based routing service to watch USA and UK stream TV from Italy and it works pretty well. With their activity log you can usually easily fix any service that is not working by adding custom rules.
I use it in conjunction with Merlin's DNS's and VPN services to set different devices to different routes and services.
The only service they have not been able to fix is Italian Timvision.

Update:
I have been using controlD for quite a while and I have to say I am pretty happy with it. I mostly use their policy based routing service to watch USA and UK stream TV
I use it in conjunction with Merlin's DNS's and VPN services to set different devices to different routes and services.
I was discussing about the adblock feature not the dns-proxy feature.
Are you using control.d as your default DNS server to resolve italian addresses? Are you using the adblock feature?
IMHO the problems with timvision are a clear proof of the unreliability of the resolver....