What's new

Creating wireless network for small school site....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Desolate One

New Around Here
Hello all. I’m the on site computer tech at a small school. The principal has approved a small budget to provide wireless access throughout the entire school. The maximum amount of money I can spend [per] router is $40.00 and the maximum amount of routers I can buy is six. They will be strategically placed throughout the school for maximum coverage. I need the best wireless router I can get for 40 bux that does well with sending signals through thick walls. I realize that this is a stretch, considering the amount I’ll be spending for each router, that’s why I’m asking you all what the best bang for the school’s buck would be. If any of you have experience with using a router that costs 40 bux or less, and that does a good (or at least decent) job punching it’s signal though thick wall areas, your advice would be greatly appreciated…..

What is the square footage that you are trying to cover?

What sort of traffic will the WLAN be supporting?

Will each AP be connected to Ethernet?

Buy.com got a number of good routers for your budget
Direct link here..
http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearc...home&qu=wireless+routers&qxt=home&display=col

G wireless router would be the cheapest..
N wireless router would be higher..

Recommend the DLINK DIR-615 C1/3.01 Wireless N Router 10/100 for $39.99 + free shipping. This router pretty good and you can use it as Router or Wireless Access Point. Note: Trendnet TEW-652BRP uses the same hardware cost is about the same.

If you want Gig Ports I would recommend the Netgear WNR-854T Wireless N Router 10/100/1000 it's not new is been re-certified but that's only $34.24 + free shipping. I don't own one myself but I've tested it out using a friends model and the wireless very good features.

Last edited: