What's new

Diversion Diversion 5.1.3 - the Router Ad-Blocker, May 09, 2024

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1. In DNS Director, set "User defined DNS 2" back to the reserved IP of 10.50.60.2.
2. In Diversion use b, 5, 4. Use alternate upstream name server(s) and set it to the cloudfare DNS IPv4, you'll have set up an account with them first.
If it still does not work, test with googles 8.8.8.8, this works all the time.

If you still cannot follow the Dnsmasq log file for the alternate blocking list, disable and re-enable logging with l.

Edit: For point 1: Set it back to what my website tells you and add the device *.118 to use the reserved IP.
Followed the above - :
User Defined DNS 1 is set at 10.50.60.2 (I tried swapping from DNS 2 to DNS 1 to see if it helped - it didn't)
in b.5.4. went straight for 8.8.8.8 and disabled / enabled logging - still does not work. Cannot even ping google.com
Code:
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=57
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

C:\Users\Media>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.
Very confused:confused:

Update - I have just rebooted the Router to install the latest beta with the updated Dnsmasq and looking at the logs (split as I use scribe, while I can see diversion coming up)
Code:
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router Diversion: started second Dnsmasq instance for alternate blocking list on IP 10.50.60.2
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router Diversion: restarted Dnsmasq to apply settings
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router uiDivStats: dnsmasq has restarted, restarting taildns
I also see
Code:
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router rc_service: service 3414:notify_rc restart_dnsmasq
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart dnsmasq)
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router admin: Started unbound from .
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf (args: /etc/dnsmasq.conf)
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router dnsmasq[3687]: cannot read /opt/share/diversion/list/blockinglist.fs_conf: No such file or directory
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router dnsmasq[3687]: FAILED to start up
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router (dnsmasq.postconf): Updating /etc/dnsmasq.conf for unbound.....
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router stubby[3721]: Read config from file /etc/stubby/stubby.yml
Feb 19 20:33:46 Router stubby[3721]: Stubby version: Stubby 0.4.2
Feb 19 20:33:50 Router admin: Started taildns from .

Last edited:
Followed the above - :
User Defined DNS 1 is set at 10.50.60.2 (I tried swapping from DNS 2 to DNS 1 to see if it helped - it didn't)
in b.5.4. went straight for 8.8.8.8 and disabled / enabled logging - still does not work. Cannot even ping google.com
Code:
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

C:\Users\Media>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.
Very confused:confused:
I am confused too...

Start from scratch by:
1. Remove Device in DNS Director Client list. Make sure it can again connect to the web.
2. In Diversion enter 1233 and confirm to do so, I uploaded a small change that also removes the resolver file when removing.
3. Remove the feature in b, 5
4. Remove blocking list fast switch feature in b, 1, 3

Then Start new:
1. Enable blocking list fast switch feature in b, 1, 3
2. Enable the alternate blocking list in b, 5, enter the reserved IP address
3. In DNS Director add reserved IP to User defined DNS 1
4. Add device to the Client list and set User defined DNS 1, click Apply
5. Test if device has internet access and follow the log file for the alternate blocking list.
6. If all goes well, add google DNS to b, 5, 4
7. Test if device still has access, if so
8. Change google to cloudfare 1.1.1.1 server and if it works now, add the IPv6 IP 2606:4700:4700::1111 as well.
Works like a charm here.

I am confused too...

Start from scratch by:
1. Remove Device in DNS Director Client list. Make sure it can again connect to the web.
2. In Diversion enter 1233 and confirm to do so, I uploaded a small change that also removes the resolver file when removing.

Then Start new:
5. Test if device has internet access and follow the log file for the alternate blocking list.
8. Change google to cloudfare 1.1.1.1 server and if it works now, add the IPv6 IP 2606:4700:4700::1111 as well.
Works like a charm here.
Will do, I have just updated my previous post in case it helps.

I wonder how they do it. Just block reddit.com and that's it? That would be simple, just add it to the denylist.
My guess is they also block the respective IP which I do not do in Diversion.
There is a list of domains per service.

YAML:
id: reddit
name: Reddit
rules:
  - '||reddit.com^'
  - '||redditstatic.com^'
  - '||redditmail.com^'
  - '||redditmedia.com^'
  - '||redd.it^'

Will do, I have just updated my previous post in case it helps.
I see, did not notice Unbound being on your system. That might be the problem.

I see, did not notice Unbound being on your system. That might be the problem.
I thought that may be possible, but do not know nearly enough to know why. The reason for trying to add a second list is that while I very happy with the medium list for home use, we also use work laptops from here and for those I need to whitelist some domains that I am quite happy to block for personal use. Is there any way to add device specific whitelists?

Welcome
This is Diversion - the Router Ad-Blocker for Asuswrt-Merlin

For more look through the Diversion website.

What's new in Diversion 5.1

In this update I eliminated harmful words, fixed a number of bugs and introduce a new way of allowing domains through the ad-block blockage.
Overall, it's a better version of Diversion.

5.1. is 25-50 times faster at processing big lists after allow/deny listing. Deny list processing is ridiculously fast now. Other issues associated with whitelisting have also disappeared. Maybe its something else but for whatever reason over all browsing experience has sped up significantly. Great work!

I am confused too...

Start from scratch by:
- done and works
- could not find 1223 (options are alphabet) but did force an update
- done
- done

Then Start new:
- done
- done
- done
- device was already in manually assigned client list, but had had missed modifying the DNS
- all good
- jumped to 8

HUGE MISTAKE!!!

Got too keen, missed out 6 - jumped to 8, for about a minute all seemed good, then when browsing to a new site on .118 lost all connectivity to the router from all devices - the last message in the SSH window
client_loop: send disconnect: connection reset

The Router ignored all attempts at soft and hard reboots - eventually had to do a factory reset and then reloaded a backup from Sunday - thank you @Viktor Jaep for Backupmon - before I started adding the alternate list settings - and 3hr 40mins later - everything is finally back up. I will leave trying again until the weekend and when everyone else is out or at least not connected.

The Router ignored all attempts at soft and hard reboots - eventually had to do a factory reset and then reloaded a backup from Sunday - thank you @Viktor Jaep for Backupmon - before I started adding the alternate list settings - and 3hr 40mins later - everything is finally back up. I will leave trying again until the weekend and when everyone else is out or at least not connected.
Another happy customer I see... LOL. ;) Glad everything restored for you!

There is a list of domains per service.

YAML:
id: reddit
name: Reddit
rules:
  - '||reddit.com^'
  - '||redditstatic.com^'
  - '||redditmail.com^'
  - '||redditmedia.com^'
  - '||redd.it^'

I wonder how they do it. Just block reddit.com and that's it? That would be simple, just add it to the denylist.
My guess is they also block the respective IP which I do not do in Diversion.
@thelonelycoder You could probably do something similar, All you would have to do is make a "per service" option for each service in diversion. Menu actuation of the service option would then append those "diversion block additions" to a dnsmasq directory (e.g. /addons/diversion/dnsmasq.d/*.conf ) you have specified "dnsmasq.conf" to read entries from. In side the directory, you could have a file for each designated service (e.g. 01-reddit.conf, 02-roblox.conf, ext.) --- you could do as many services you wanted to support. Here users could make "custom" service files as well following the same formatting (e.g. 99-custom.conf) specified in diversions tutorial/FAQ platform of you choice. The biggest problem I could see is error checking and preventing "breakage".

Last edited:
Apparently Googles Gemini Pro is superior to Gpt4 in math and code. [source 1, source 2], I use it freely and anonymously on Poe.com, or using the poe app, (windows/ios/andriod) with 75 times a day free use limit. All that was needed for sign up was a disposable email, in the phone app version, whereas at the time the website required a phone number. https://emailsilo.net/ is a relatively unknown disposable email service that isn't widely blocked.

Using an 'app' on a phone isn't anonymous in the least. Even with a disposable email, you've been fooled.

Everything is working well. So well I forget about it lol. If I turn off adblocking by using the iOS shortcut, is there a way to have it set to turn back on after a certain time or alert me I turned it off and forgot to turn blocking back on?

Yes, set a timer on your phone. :)

Everything is working well. So well I forget about it lol. If I turn off adblocking by using the iOS shortcut, is there a way to have it set to turn back on after a certain time or alert me I turned it off and forgot to turn blocking back on?
Thats planned for the next update.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!