What's new

Do I need a USB Storage device?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ct1615

Regular Contributor
My wife currently has 14GB of pictures on her HDD. While space is not an issue on her HDD, I would like to back up these pictures in case of a failure. I can simply install a WD 500GB in her PC and call it a day. I can also get a portable HDD for a similar price but I know the portable HDD will never move from the PC. I also have an Asus RT-N66 router (updated with the most recent firmware) so I can install the portable HDD to it. My question is what would I gain if I install the the portable HDD to the wi-fi router? Currently her tablet is a kindle fire HD and she has an android phone. She may like to look at the pics on them using some sort of app...any opinions or experience on the matter?

I also own a few movies on Amazon digital I could put on the portable HDD but I rarely watch them.

how's the lifespan on those portable hard drives? I've read stories they only last a few years although I figure most of those stories tend to be worse case scenarios.

There's some light duty NAS boxes out there - I'm not a big fan of hosting USB-Drives on the Router/AP due to potential security issues...

Also, might consider services like Dropbox, MS OneDrive, or GoogleDrive.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!