What's new

DS214Play performance comparable to DS415Play?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matt6789

Occasional Visitor
Any thoughts on the performance of the DS214Play? I didn't see anything in the charts, even though some of the 4-bays of a particular model were used to generate 2-bay data. I looked on Synology's site and all the 214Play's hardware matches the 415Play's, save for the 214Play's esata and sd card ports and a copy button.

When I looked at other models in the charts, most 2-bays were close to the 4-bays in performance for any particular model with the same hardware.

I didn't find performance numbers on Synology's site to figure this out.

Any help is appreciated.

If two NASes from the same manufacturer have the same processor, RAM and OS, they will be very similar in performance, no matter what they are named.

If two NASes from the same manufacturer have the same processor, RAM and OS, they will be very similar in performance, no matter what they are named.

Can't totally agree with that.. due to goodness in the IP stack, software overhead varies, etc. More alike than not, I'd agree. But it's too broad.

Can't totally agree with that.. due to goodness in the IP stack, software overhead varies, etc. More alike than not, I'd agree. But it's too broad.
Too broad how? If the hardware is the same except for # of bays, what's going to make performance different?

Synology's site lists the same CPU, memory, and many other specs. It doesn't identify controllers and such like your (SNB contributors) reviews. Trying to find more info, I was able to find a few pictures of the main boards. The SD card difference is noticeable right away. The footprint is the same, but there are quite a few differences in the attached parts. At a glance, these areas are different on the boards: 1,3, and 9 o'clock. I don't know enough about how much impact these differences make when it come to performance. And nobody provides comparisons like you!

DS214Play
http://www.legionhardware.com/pic.p...logy_DiskStation_DS214_DS214play/Image_22.jpg

DS415Play
http://www.legionhardware.com/pic.p...w/Synology_DiskStation_DS415play/Image_11.jpg

The SATA controllers could make a difference. But my experience has been that CPU and OS tweaks influence performance the most, followed by RAM for some tests.

To explore for yourself, go to the NAS Charts, filter by processor type and look at the performance range for similar vintage products.

You can also go to the NAS Finder, Filter for processor type (the DS415play's CE5335 is classed as "Atom-2"), check the Performance boxes for products of interest and get a custom filtered Charts view by clicking the "Compare Performance" link.

Attachments

• custom_nas.jpg
    custom_nas.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 440

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!