What's new

ET12: Ethernet Backhaul troubleshooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

YoungStarDC

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently in the progress of configuring a set of ASUS ZenWifi ET12 routers for my home, however, for some reason, I am unable to get the Ethernet Backhaul function to work.

I've tried the following two configurations, which I had thought one of them would work, to no avail:

Ethernet Backhaul possibilities.jpg

The modem is provided by my ISP and cannot be put into bridge mode, though I am not sure that is relevant (sorry, I'm a rookie).

I've tried connecting the Mesh Node through either the WAN port or any of the LAN ports, but neither works. Sometimes, the admin panel gives me an error saying that there is no ethernet cable connected when enabling ethernet backhaul mode, though the info shows that there is (the port is green in the "port information" graph). Other times, it does let me turn on ethernet backhaul mode, but afterwards, the node just says "Disconnected".

I feel like I am missing something very straightforward, but I can't figure it out. Both routers/nodes are updated to the lastest firmware. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If more info is needed, please let me know!

Neither of those configurations are valid. The WAN port of the ET12 in router mode should be connected directly to the Zyxel T-56. The ET12 node should be connected directly to the ET12 router's LAN port.

Thank you for your reply! I’ve read that a ethernet backhaul can also be achieved with a switch in between. Is that not correct?

I am unable to wire the ET12 node directly to the main ET12 I’m afraid.
Neither of those configurations are valid. The WAN port of the ET12 in router mode should be connected directly to the Zyxel T-56. The ET12 node should be connected directly to the ET12 router's LAN port.

You can put a switch between the ET12 router's LAN port and the ET12 node if you want to. But you still need a separate cable from the ET12 router's WAN port to the Zyxel T-56. You cannot connect the node to the ET12 router's WAN port via the modem or a switch, that is not valid.

If it not possible to run two ethernet cables to the ET12 router then the only other option (other than using wireless backhaul to the node) is to configure both ET12's as access points and use your T-56 as your main router. But you'll loose a lot of the functionality of the AiMesh system that way.

You can put a switch between the ET12 router's LAN port and the ET12 node if you want to. But you still need a separate cable from the ET12 router's WAN port to the Zyxel T-56. You cannot connect the node to the ET12 router's WAN port via the modem or a switch, that is not valid.

If it not possible to run two ethernet cables to the ET12 router then the only other option (other than using wireless backhaul to the node) is to configure both ET12's as access points and use your T-56 as your main router. But you'll loose a lot of the functionality of the AiMesh system that way.

I see. So if I understand correctly, this is what the new set up should be like:

Ethernet Backhaul possibilities copy.jpg

If it is, that would be great. This is easily doable the way the wiring is done in my home.

Yes that should work.

Just be aware that some of the AiMesh guest Wi-Fi networks use VLANs so your switch will need to be configured to pass them if present.

Last edited:
Yes that should work.

Just be aware that some of the AiMesh guest Wi-Fi networks use VLANs so your switch will need to be configured to pass them if present.
Thank you for all your help up until now!

I will try the new set up tomorrow and report back here.

Yes that should work.

I've set it up as described and I'll start off with the good news: it see, to work as intended and the ethernet backhaul option is now enabled. Thank you for your help!

Now, for the bad news, for some reason I randomly cannot access the admin panel. For example, as I am typing this, I can access it through my iPhone using the IP address, but not through asusrouter.com which I used previously. On my MacBook, neither the IP address nor the ASUS router works.

Are there any settings I should (and hopefully can) change on my modem? Right now, there are two devices acting as a router which I think might be causing some of the issues. But the modem can't be set in Bridge mode, which makes me unsure on how to proceed.

EDIT: setting them ET12 in AP mode seems to have resolved the issue, I think this might be the way to do it?

Last edited:
Are there any settings I should (and hopefully can) change on my modem? Right now, there are two devices acting as a router which I think might be causing some of the issues. But the modem can't be set in Bridge mode, which makes me unsure on how to proceed.
Make sure that none of your clients are connecting to the T-56 (disable its Wi-Fi). The only thing connected to the T-56 should be the WAN port of the ET12 router. All your clients should be connecting to either the ET12 router or ET12 node.

EDIT: setting them ET12 in AP mode seems to have resolved the issue, I think this might be the way to do it?
As I said in post #4, you can do that but you'll loose a lot of the functionality of the ET12 router that way.

Make sure that none of your clients are connecting to the T-56 (disable its Wi-Fi). The only thing connected to the T-56 should be the WAN port of the ET12 router. All your clients should be connecting to either the ET12 router or ET12 node.

As I said in post #4, you can do that but you'll loose a lot of the functionality of the ET12 router that way.

I made sure that the devices aren't connected to the T-56 and I even factory reset the ET12's again, however, I still can't access the admin panel for some reason unless I set them to AP mode, after which I can using the IP address.

The only moderately "advanced" feature I used on my previous router (AX88U, had to be replaced) was port forwarding for a NAS. I imagine I can still do that on the T-56. Other than that, I never really used any special functionality. In case you're wondering why I have the ET12's then, it's because they were a gift :)

In which case it probably is a lot simpler to leave them as APs and leave the routing and firewall duties to the T-56. You could even go back to either of the configurations in your picture in post #1 if that makes the cabling easier. The only reason you couldn't do that before was because one of the ET12s was in router mode.

EDIT: Your issue with accessing the ET12's GUI might be because of your client's DNS or browser settings. Some browser's will not let you connect to HTTP and redirect you to HTTPS instead, which probably isn't enabled by default on your ET12.

Last edited:
In which case it probably is a lot simpler to leave them as APs and leave the routing and firewall duties to the T-56. You could even go back to either of the configurations in your picture in post #1 if that makes the cabling easier. The only reason you couldn't do that before was because one of the ET12s was in router mode.

In that case I'll leave them in AP mode for now. The wiring right now is good as well, so I'll leave that as is.

One final question I have, which may be unrelated to all of this: my Samsung Galaxy S22 connects to WiFi but shows "Connected, no internet" more often than not (it does work at times). My other devices (iPads, iPhone, MacBook) have no such problems it seems. I should note that other wifi networks at family for example work without a problem on the S22.

Is there anything that rings a bell as to why that may happen? Perhaps a specific setting that Android/Samsung does not play well with on these newer model routers/mesh systems?

EDIT: this happened in router mode as well.

Last edited:
I can't think why your S22 would have a problem. I assume you don't have this problem when you connect to the T-56's Wi-Fi? Some devices have issues when connecting using 802.11ax. You could try turning that off (Wireless - General > 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode) as an experiment and see if that makes any difference.

I can't think why your S22 would have a problem. I assume you don't have this problem when you connect to the T-56's Wi-Fi? Some devices have issues when connecting using 802.11ax. You could try turning that off (Wireless - General > 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode) as an experiment and see if that makes any difference.

After a few Google searches, it seems that wifi 6 is indeed an issue for a few Samsung phones including the S22. I've disabled Wifi 6 on the 2.4ghz band and connected the S22 to that for now to see how it goes.

It's a known issue. S22 Series have WiFi and Bluetooth issue which makes disconnection and slow speed. Bluetooth issue has been fixed with a new firmware. But WiFi issue has not been fixed yet. It happens a lot when Bluetooth and WiFi are turned on.

After a few Google searches, it seems that wifi 6 is indeed an issue for a few Samsung phones including the S22. I've disabled Wifi 6 on the 2.4ghz band and connected the S22 to that for now to see how it goes.
Bluetooth issue has been fixed with April firmware. But WiFi issue has not been fixed yet. You have to wait for the new firmware.

Bluetooth issue has been fixed with April firmware. But WiFi issue has not been fixed yet. You have to wait for the new firmware.

I see, I appreciate the info!

I'm running into a weird issue: I disabled Wifi 6 but it seems that it only disabled it for one of the two AP's, the one on my first floor. However, when I connect to the AP on the second floor and try to access the admin, it redirects me (looking the IP in the address bar) to the AP on the first floor.

How do I access the AP on the second floor, which is set up as a AI Mesh node with Ethernet Backhaul still?

I see, I appreciate the info!

I'm running into a weird issue: I disabled Wifi 6 but it seems that it only disabled it for one of the two AP's, the one on my first floor. However, when I connect to the AP on the second floor and try to access the admin, it redirects me (looking the IP in the address bar) to the AP on the first floor.

How do I access the AP on the second floor, which is set up as a AI Mesh node with Ethernet Backhaul still?
If you have both APs configured as AiMesh then you can't access the GUI's independently, they're meant to be administered centrally. The fact that it doesn't disable the radios on both APs would seem to be a bug/oversight/limitation IMHO. As I said in another thread recently, I don't see much advantage to running two APs in AiMesh mode rather than as standalone APs. I suggest you run them as regular APs and then you can administer each one separately.

Last edited:
If you have both APs configured as AiMesh then you can't access the GUI's independently, they're meant to be administered centrally. The fact that it doesn't disable the radios on both APs would seem to be a bug/oversight/limitation IMHO. As I said in another thread recently, I don't see much advantage to running two APs in AiMesh mode rather than as standalone APs. I suggest you run them as regular APs and then you can administer each one separately.

Alright, I will give that a try later today.

If I keep the SSID's and passwords the same, will devices seamlessly switch between the AP's still?

If I keep the SSID's and passwords the same, will devices seamlessly switch between the AP's still?
I don't know about seamlessly :D but yes, keep the SSIDs/passwords the same. Roaming between access points is predominantly a client side decision whether you're using AiMesh or not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!