What's new

'Fatal Signal Six' Rises From the Dead

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elmer

GTAXE16000: 3004.388.7_beta1

I recently bought a new router and have been extremely pleased with it, but now after almost flawless operation over the last month, I've had two nights in a row that I woke up to a 'no internet' and this message in the log:

potentially unexpected fatal signal 6.
CPU: 2 PID: 25936 Comm: dnsmasq Tainted: P O 4.19.183 #1
Hardware name: GTAXE16000_2GB (DT)
pstate: 00070010 (nzcv q A32 LE aif)

and a whole bunch of kernel diagnostics (pc, lr, sp, x12 ...).

So, I did a search and saw that this was a problem with AC units in late 2023, but was apparently solved. One possible source of the problem was AiProtection, which I have disabled. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I started a thread about the dnsmasq crashing issue, did a lot of testing but didn't really come to any conclusion other than there's a problem in dnsmasq itself.

If you have the scMerlin addon installed, it has an option to watch for the "dnsmasq Tainted:" string and restart dnsmasq when it sees it.

Thanks alan. I thought maybe it was related to some amtm scripts or my storage device, so I deleted all scripts and changed out the storage, then reinstalled the scripts (I am using YazDHCP since I have close to 90 devices). I also added scMerlin and turned on the dnsmasq watchdog, so we'll see what happens. On a positive note, I did not have a crash last night. Thanks again.

Was your dnsmasq crash associated with anything other events?

E.G. mine always happened after a dnsmasq restart on WAN-down.
But didn't happen after a dnsmasq restart on WAN-up

Not seeing anything related to WAN-down; fortunately the wan connection is pretty stable. Logs so far today are pretty clean. I'll keep watching events and will update with any info. Thx.

Just a follow up on the problem in case someone else stumbles upon it; It has disappeared, so it was probably solved by doing one or more of three things:
1. Installed scMerlin and activated dnsmasq watchdog
2. Removed YazDHCP (YazDHCP and possible storage failure might be intertwined)
3. Possible intermittent storage failure (wasn't sure, replaced the USB drive to be safe)
Sorry I can't narrow it down beyond that broad stroke. Thanks for the help.