What's new

Fun with ChatGPT...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
I was trying to lookup a particular Microsoft service wondering what that service was for. After spending five minutes on their webpage, I was still totally unable to tell what that service was actually doing, as their page was nothing but marketing buzzword bingo.

I decided to ask ChatGPT to write me a buzzword-heavy release announcement for Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1. Here's what it came up with.

🎉 Introducing the groundbreaking Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, the pinnacle of networking innovation! 🚀
🔥 Ignite your network's performance with unparalleled speed, stability, and security enhancements! Our team of experts has meticulously crafted this update to elevate your networking experience to unprecedented heights.
🚀 Supercharge your connectivity with advanced features designed to empower your digital lifestyle. From seamless streaming to lag-free gaming, Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 ensures a flawless online experience for every user.
💡 Unlock the full potential of your Asus router with cutting-edge optimizations and enhancements. Say goodbye to buffering and hello to lightning-fast speeds, thanks to our state-of-the-art technology.
🔒 Safeguard your network with robust security measures that provide peace of mind in an ever-evolving digital landscape. With Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, your data stays protected from cyber threats, ensuring a worry-free online environment.
🌐 Seamlessly integrate with the latest networking standards and protocols, ensuring compatibility with all your devices and applications. Whether you're at home or on the go, Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 keeps you connected, wherever life takes you.
🎨 Experience the future of networking with a sleek and intuitive user interface, designed to simplify setup and configuration. With Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, managing your network has never been easier or more enjoyable.
🌟 Join the revolution and elevate your networking experience with Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1. Upgrade today and unleash the true power of your Asus router!

Why do we keep hurting ourselves with all of these meaningless product announcements that are completely uninformative?

I should have provided it with the actual content of the 388.1 changelog (I was hoping it would look it up itself since that release should predate their cutoff training data).

I think this would be a better approach:

Avast ye scallywags! Feast yer eyes upon the legendary Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, the pinnacle o' networkin' innovation on the high seas! ⚓
🔥 Set yer sails for uncharted waters with this update! Unmatched speed, stability, and security enhancements await ye! Crafted by the finest hands, this update be settin' a new standard fer networkin' excellence!
🚀 Amp up yer connectivity like never before! From smooth sailin' streams to battle-ready gaming, Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 guarantees a voyage without rough waters fer every soul aboard!
💡 Unleash the full potential o' yer Asus router with the latest tweaks and upgrades! No more waitin' around like landlubbers, only swift speeds fit fer a pirate's plunder!
🔒 Guard yer treasure trove with the mightiest o' defenses! Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 keeps yer booty safe from any scurvy dog lookin' to plunder yer data on the digital seas!
🌐 Seamlessly integrate with all manner o' devices and applications! Whether ye be docked at home or off on a grand adventure, Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 ensures ye stay connected, no matter the voyage!
🎨 Navigate the seas of networkin' with ease! The user interface be as sleek as a polished cutlass, makin' setup and configuration a breeze! With Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, commandin' yer network be as simple as raisin' the Jolly Roger!
🌟 Join the ranks o' the networkin' revolution! Upgrade to Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 and unlock the true power o' yer Asus router! Onward, me hearties, to new horizons!

I like the fact that it keeps yer booty safe... ;)

Should have used Google Gemini right on your router.

Using the addon

New Addon - ChatAI - have a chat session with Googles Gemini AI Bot​

Here is the output from chatai on an AX88U Pro:

chatai Chat Log: 2024-05-08-15-03-21

Q: write me a buzzword-heavy release announcement for Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1

**Unleashing the Cutting-Edge Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1: Empowering Your Home Network**

Get ready to revolutionize your home network with the groundbreaking Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1! This latest firmware release from the renowned router optimization expert delivers an unprecedented suite of game-changing features and enhanced performance.

**AI-Powered Optimization**

Harness the power of artificial intelligence with Merlin's AI Mesh functionality. It optimizes your Wi-Fi coverage and performance by seamlessly managing multiple routers, ensuring a seamless and stable connection throughout your home.

**Ethernet Link Aggregation (LAG)**

Boost your wired speeds to the next level with LAG. By combining multiple Ethernet ports into a single virtual connection, Merlin 388.1 unleashes the full potential of your high-bandwidth devices and provides an ultra-fastwired backbone for your network.

**Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service)**

Prioritize your critical applications and online activities with Merlin's advanced QoS engine. Its intelligent algorithms analyze your network traffic in real-time, allocating bandwidth resources dynamically to ensure that your video streaming, gaming, or video conferencing remains smooth and uninterrupted.

**Enhanced Security**

Protect your network from cyber threats with Merlin 388.1's robust security features. Advanced parental controls and firewall options allow you to customize your security settings to meet your specific needs, safeguarding your privacy and devices from malicious attacks.

**Improved Compatibility and Stability**

Experience maximum compatibility and rock-solid stability with Merlin 388.1. This latest firmware build supports a wide range of Asus routers and ensures optimal performance for the latest hardware and software.

**Upgrade Today, Unlock the Future of Networking:**

Don't miss out on the game-changing enhancements of Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1. Upgrade your router today and unlock a new level of network performance, optimization, and security.

End of Chat Log 2024-05-08-15-03-21

admin@RT-AX88U_Pro-0BD8:/tmp/home/root#

I had ChatGPT incorporate your release notes and written as if George Lucas was the author (since we just passed May the fourth)

In a galaxy not so far away, Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 emerges as the force to reckon with, reshaping the very fabric of networking! Released on December 3, 2022, this update, tailored exclusively for AX models, brings forth a new hope for connectivity excellence!

🌟 NEW: Witness the rise of the RT-AX86U_PRO with added support, while embracing the convergence of GPL 388_20566 for RT-AX88U and GT-AX11000, and GPL 388_21224 for all other AX models.

🌟 NEW: Embark on a daring adventure with the Experimental ROG UI version for GT models, housed as a separate firmware image within the distribution archive, ready to explore uncharted territories.

🌟 NEW: Prepare to journey to the outer reaches of networking with the introduction of WireGuard, featuring both client and server capabilities, promising a revolution in VPN technology with enhanced webUI features.

🌟 UPDATED: Stay ahead of the galactic curve with updated versions of getdns/stubby, zlib, and openssl, ensuring the safety and performance of your digital empire.

🌟 CHANGED: Amidst the cosmic shifts, bid farewell to DNSFilter and welcome the dawn of DNS Director, offering clarity and enhanced functionality. Plus, traverse the redesigned VPN Status and VPN Director pages for a more intuitive experience.

🌟 FIXED: Experience smoother operations as we quell the disturbances in the force with fixes addressing temperature graph inaccuracies, security vulnerabilities, and GT-AXE16000 random reboots, ensuring a seamless networking experience.

🌟 REMOVED: As the galaxy evolves, certain features like the Interface selector on the Speedtest page and NAT Type setting on HND 5.04 devices fade into legend, streamlining your cosmic networking journey.

Embrace the force of Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 and unleash the power of your network - the destiny of your digital empire awaits! May the force be with you! 🚀✨

we are doomed as a species

we are doomed as a species
I can even take it down another level... if you want?

Ugh, like, whatever. So, like, here's the deal. 🎉 They're talking about this new thing called Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, which they say is, like, some kind of big deal in the world of, like, networking or whatever. 🚀
🔥 They're saying it's supposed to make your internet, like, super fast and stable, and, you know, keep it safe from, like, all the bad stuff out there. Apparently, their team of, like, super smart people worked really hard on it.
🚀 And, like, they're saying it's got all these fancy features that are supposed to make your online life, like, easier or whatever. You can, like, stream stuff without any interruptions and play games without, you know, getting annoyed by lags.
💡 Oh, and they're, like, saying it'll make your internet router thingy work, like, way better than before. No more waiting for stuff to load, apparently.
🔒 And, like, it's supposed to keep all your info safe from, like, hackers and stuff. So, I guess that's a good thing?
🌐 They're also, like, talking about how it'll work with all your gadgets and apps without any problems, whether you're, like, chilling at home or out and about.
🎨 Oh, and they're saying it's got, like, this easy-to-use thingy that makes setting it up, you know, not a total headache.
🌟 So, yeah, they're, like, trying to get everyone to, like, upgrade to this thing and make their internet, like, better or whatever. Honestly, I'm, like, too bored to care.

Heavy, man!

Heavy, man!
I think I'm going to let the disinterested valley girl do all my release notes from now on. She does a much better job at it than I do. lol

Last edited:
Just unbelievable what people are spending their time on. The world has gone bananas.
Our parents used to spend their time sitting in front of the TV throughout the evening. Spending a few minutes to fiddle with an AI chatbot seems like time better spent to me since it does require you to think :) And it also gets people to interact with one another, rather than just absently talk about their day with their spouse.

While they train on our written and spoken communication, images, video, etc., we real human beings are training on their pap to detect AI-generated content. I would believe that humans win.

Wouldn’t this be an interesting question for ChatGPT: “Is this text human- or AI-generated?” and include the blurbs from above.

This is what i got with copilot

🎉 Release Announcement: Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.7 Unleashed! 🎉
Ladies and gentlemen, tech aficionados, and router enthusiasts, gather 'round! The moment you’ve been waiting for has arrived. 🚀

Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.7: The Quantum Leap

What’s Hot?

• IGD2 Support for UPNP/PCP: We’ve transcended the mundane IPv4 world and ascended to the IPv6 heavens. 🌐 Say hello to pinhole support for clients! Just enable it on the WAN page, and watch your network dance like a caffeinated squirrel.
  • Openvpn 2.6.10: It’s like OpenVPN got a turbo boost. Faster, more secure, and ready to tunnel your data through the fabric of spacetime. 🌌
  • TOR 0.4.8.10: Because anonymity is the new black. Surf the web like a shadowy ninja, leaving no trace behind. 🕶️
  • Wireguard Kernel v1.0.20220627: The future is now! Encrypt your traffic with the power of a thousand suns. ☀️
  • Dropbear 2024.84: Not just a cute name. It’s the SSH server that’ll guard your secrets like a dragon hoarding gold. 🐉
  • Strongswan 5.9.13: Fixing CVE-2023-41913 because we’re not just building castles; we’re fortifying them. 🏰

What’s Changed?

• CA Bundle Magic: Inadyn no longer needs manual CA bundle definitions. It’s like we handed it a treasure map. 🗺️
  • Sysinfo Page Revamp: We’ve added graphs, removed fluff, and made it sexier than a Tesla Cybertruck. 📈
  • Memory Liberation: Networkmap now considers reclaimable memory as “free.” It’s like decluttering your brain after a meditation retreat. 🧘‍♂️
  • Anti-DoH Forcefield: “Prevent client auto DoH” now shields against Apple’s iCloud Private Relay. Because privacy is our jam. 🍓
  • NAT Passthrough Redux: The firewall no longer plays hide-and-seek with traffic. Adjust settings like a DJ spinning records. 🎧
  • Legacy ALG Retirement: SIP, RTSP, and H323 ALG are out of the game. Modern VoIP setups rejoice! 📞

What’s Fixed?

• Cronjob Collision: Cru changes won’t collide anymore. It’s like synchronized swimming for your tasks. 🏊‍♀️
  • Timezone Time Warp: Crond now respects your timezone changes. No more time-traveling cronjobs. ⏰
  • MiniDLNA Web Interface: Accessible via more than just an IP address. We’re all about inclusivity. 🌈
  • OpenSSL Security Patch: CVE-2023-5678 & CVE-2024-0727? Not on our watch! 🔒
  • Timeout Tamed: Long lists won’t make System Log timeout anymore. It’s like a patient librarian. 📚

What’s Gone?

• Temperature Page: We’ve folded it into the Sysinfo page. Less clutter, more zen. 🌡️

How to Get It?

Remember, fellow router wizards, this release is like a phoenix rising from the firmware ashes. Upgrade, explore, and conquer the digital frontier! 🌟
Stay connected, stay magical! 🧙‍♂️
Asuswrt-Merlin: Where routers dream of electric sheep. 🛸

Code:
ChatGPT to write me a buzzword-heavy release announcement for Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.7 using this changelog https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/master/Changelog-NG.txt in English

I am reminded of the time I asked ChatGPT about the benefits of a certain Nordic treaty. It responded that the treaty did not exist. Odd, it was referenced throughout my wife's doctoral dissertation, which I proof-read and her advisor lauded, and it was easy to find on Google.

I think this would be a better approach:

Avast ye scallywags! Feast yer eyes upon the legendary Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, the pinnacle o' networkin' innovation on the high seas! ⚓
🔥 Set yer sails for uncharted waters with this update! Unmatched speed, stability, and security enhancements await ye! Crafted by the finest hands, this update be settin' a new standard fer networkin' excellence!
🚀 Amp up yer connectivity like never before! From smooth sailin' streams to battle-ready gaming, Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 guarantees a voyage without rough waters fer every soul aboard!
💡 Unleash the full potential o' yer Asus router with the latest tweaks and upgrades! No more waitin' around like landlubbers, only swift speeds fit fer a pirate's plunder!
🔒 Guard yer treasure trove with the mightiest o' defenses! Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 keeps yer booty safe from any scurvy dog lookin' to plunder yer data on the digital seas!
🌐 Seamlessly integrate with all manner o' devices and applications! Whether ye be docked at home or off on a grand adventure, Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 ensures ye stay connected, no matter the voyage!
🎨 Navigate the seas of networkin' with ease! The user interface be as sleek as a polished cutlass, makin' setup and configuration a breeze! With Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1, commandin' yer network be as simple as raisin' the Jolly Roger!
🌟 Join the ranks o' the networkin' revolution! Upgrade to Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 and unlock the true power o' yer Asus router! Onward, me hearties, to new horizons!
Life would be more fun if we all talked like pirates one day of the week.
Not the same day, mind you - everybody gets one day, randomly decided by some generator that specifies which day based on the 3rd letter of your middle name. 26 letters, 7 days...yeah...I'd wager that less than 10% of us on any given day be talkin' pirate-like.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!