What's new

Has my ZenWifi XD5 (AX3000) router been compromised?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rippan

New Around Here
I'm experiencing an odd issue with my router. It's an XD5 model, but occasionally it starts up as XD4PRO, and other times as XD5, as seen on the admin page.

Any changes I attempt to save are not preserved; the router always reverts to the settings that I once initially set, this happens after each restart. Consequently, I cannot change WiFi settings, passwords, or similar configurations.

We have tried updating with all available BIOS/firmware versions listed on Asus's website.

We've also started the router in rescue mode and tried installing all the firmware updates through this method. The "Firmware Restoration" process indicates success, but when logging into the router, it still shows the old version of firmware with the same issues.

We have performed a factory reset through the admin settings.

We have also factory reset the router by holding down the reset button.

However, each time the router is restarted, it reverts to this firmware with the old settings: 3.0.0.4.386_50001-g2f05b63

Firmwares we have tested:

XD5_3.0.0.4_388_23347-g4b5bfc3_nand_squashfs.pkgtb
XD5_3.0.0.4_388_23949-g62861d5_nand_squashfs.pkgtb
FW_ZENWIFI_XD5_300438650001.pkgtb

All these are listed on Asus’s website under the ZenWifi XD5 product.

The other two XD5 WiFi devices have been updated and are working fine.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

None of those resets worked. No reset was performed.

Unplug all Ethernet, USB, and WAN cables.

Unplug the AC power adaptor from the wall and from the router. Leave the power button in the on position. Wait a minute or two before powering it up again.

Perform a reset. Try all possible methods.

If it still doesn't work, your hardware is defective.

I'm experiencing an odd issue with my router. It's an XD5 model, but occasionally it starts up as XD4PRO, and other times as XD5, as seen on the admin page.
It looks like XD4 Pro is the name of the XD5 that is old in China and surrounding countries. Was the router bought from that region?

Return them.