What's new

high performance NAS: Windows Server 2003?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zsero

Occasional Visitor
I am looking for some solution for the file sharing needs of 30 client PCs. There would be no other tasks like Exchange server, just file serving for XP PCs, and maybe secure FTP for remote file transfers.

As I have researched, the best solution is either 1. a high performance NAS, or 2. a dedicated Windows Server computer with RAID5 card.

If I go with dedicated Windows Server, I still don't understand
1. Which version to choose, 2003 Standard, 2003 SBS, Home server or 2008?
2. Is it possible to do simple folder-level password protection without Active Directory and Domain controller, using Workgroup networking and "net use" logon scripts?
3. When do I need CAL licenses? Do I need them with Workgroup networking, or just if I use Active Directory? Home Server and NAS boxes doesn't need any if I know correctly.
4. Are the CAL licenses connected to concurrent network sharing connections, or there is no limit not like the 15 concurrent limit in XP?

You might want to consider using a Linux server with Samba/LDAP. This will give you basic login, as well as share permissions on the file server.

I wouldn't go with 2003 for just file serving/ftp, as it's really not the greatest at either. If you reall want to go this rout, I would go for 2008 server. It's made for faster file shares, as well as supporting FTPS (FTP over SSL) which 2003 can't.

An XP workstation would more than likely work for what you need. If you're not using it to manage logins, 2003 is overkill.

XP workstation would be perfect, if it wouldn't have that 15 concurrent filesharing connection limit.

I was thinking about Microsoft solutions because I read that linux SAMBA implementation still doesn't have the same performance as Microsoft server products.

Would you recommend FreeNAS, Openfiler, ClarkConnect or SME Server?

If you're set on going with Microsoft Server, I would go with 2008 SBS, it will give you the best file search times.

As for Linux/Samba. I really can't say, I'm not that great with it.. I'm an MCSE, so Linux takes a backseat for know how, sadly.

I can't really recomend a NAS OS either, as I've only briefly used FreeNAS and OpenFiler. FreeNAS had a bit of a wait time on loads, which bugged me, however speeds seemed to be decent.

XP workstation would be perfect, if it wouldn't have that 15 concurrent filesharing connection limit.

I was thinking about Microsoft solutions because I read that linux SAMBA implementation still doesn't have the same performance as Microsoft server products.

Would you recommend FreeNAS, Openfiler, ClarkConnect or SME Server?

Is there any place / anyone that has done a comparative between these 4 ?

As far as I know: no. I've been searching for such an article myself and also could not find any.

I'd really welcome such an article as well!!!!