What's new

How do I test my throughput?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

little_scrapper

Occasional Visitor
Like any piece of hardware I like to test it. So what do I use to test my routers wireless and wired throughput?

That way I can compare it to what type of performance it 'should' be delivering in case I need to make some tweeks.

But the new laptops and netbooks the 802.11b/g/n are set to mix mode and can't be changed unless it has driver option for it? I got two newer laptops both showing 300mbps on dual core AMDs. Very quick and no lag. More like 150mbps for TX. Speed has to be set to auto if you force it on wireless adapter it going to not connect or some screwy message can't find a network to connect to. I just leave that as it is.

But the new laptops and netbooks the 802.11b/g/n are set to mix mode and can't be changed unless it has driver option for it? I got two newer laptops both showing 300mbps on dual core AMDs. Very quick and no lag. More like 150mbps for TX. Speed has to be set to auto if you force it on wireless adapter it going to not connect or some screwy message can't find a network to connect to. I just leave that as it is.
This post makes no sense. How is this relevant to the thread topic?

Well since no-one is answering my question, and the link in that article for testing performance is dead, I am trying jperf; but what do I put for a server address for testing?

Last edited:
Well since no-one is answering my question, and the link in that article for testing performance is dead, I am trying jperf; but what do I put for a server address for testing?

Nonsense one is not! But it does make sense! LOL

But anyway There are some really free programs you can use like like netcps (this was develop to measure packets being sent through cisco catalyst switch but can be use to test your routing speed in seconds. (example how long would it take to transfer 150mbps over a wireless LAN to another wireless LAN), LAN speed test (although this is measuring LAN to LAN or wired LAN) you can use it on either wired or wireless. I've tested both the ESR-9850 and Belkin N+ my results was pretty interesting on wireless and wired side.

Netcps (uses server.exe/client.exe) very easy to use program. LAN Speed Test is a Windows Base program. There are some examples of how I used this with ESR-9850 here:

http://tipstir.the-talk.net/hardware-reviews-f1/engenius-esr-9850-t1-15.htm

Last edited: