What's new

How does NODE work with Main Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whydoesmyhearthurtsomuch

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS AX6000 Router as a MAIN Router. And I have a ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 as a NODE router . I have noticed that the "Web History" on the Main Router shows the "MAC (BSSID)" of the NODE router rather than the MAC address of the actual Clients
logging in to the NODE ?. How do I log each person using the NODE , activity /website accessed ?. Where can I see their phone/computer MAC address on Logs ?.

You can't change the way it works. It is what it is. Drop the monitoring obsession, take your family out and enjoy the summer.

You can't change the way it works. It is what it is. Drop the monitoring obsession, take your family out and enjoy the summer.

lLOL, well one more last question. I only want 1 specific client MAC address to be able to access 1 particular Node. I have bound that client to the Node, but HOW do I stop anyone else accessing that specific NODE ?. ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 is Node.

lLOL, well one more last question. I only want 1 specific client MAC address to be able to access 1 particular Node. I have bound that client to the Node, but HOW do I stop anyone else accessing that specific NODE ?. ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900 is Node.
Short answer - you can''t.

However, you may accomplish the same thing by binding each WIFI client to either the router or node. The bad news is the binding does not always stick.

More bad news for you: Have you noticed the bandwidth and frequency of the AX6000 is limited? Yes? It is because of the AC86U AiMesh node. The AiMesh limits the ability of the mesh WIFI to the lowest device capabilities. Recommendation - Remove the AC86U from the mesh and set it up as an Access Point. Then you will be able to monitor the connections to each the router and AP.

But that could be a pain. As @Tech9 said "Drop the monitoring obsession."

Short answer - you can''t.

However, you may accomplish the same thing by binding each WIFI client to either the router or node. The bad news is the binding does not always stick.

More bad news for you: Have you noticed the bandwidth and frequency of the AX6000 is limited? Yes? It is because of the AC86U AiMesh node. The AiMesh limits the ability of the mesh WIFI to the lowest device capabilities. Recommendation - Remove the AC86U from the mesh and set it up as an Access Point. Then you will be able to monitor the connections to each the router and AP.

But that could be a pain. As @Tech9 said "Drop the monitoring obsession."

Thanks

The AiMesh limits the ability of the mesh WIFI to the lowest device capabilities.

I'm sorry, but this statement is incorrect. Tested with AX main + AC node few times* with very consistent results. When the client is connected to the AX main it has AX connection (up to 1200Mbps link speed, 80MHz wide channel). When it moves to the AC node it obviously drops to AC connection (up to 866Mbps link speed, 80MHz wide channel). The performance of the entire system is largely unaffected when using 4-stream routers on both ends. The backhaul link between RT-AX86U and RT-AC86U for example is >2Gbps when the routers are at about -60/65dBm. And this is larger distance because the routers are both higher power than clients.

* - the situation is different when using very old AC-class router for node as RT-AC68U or variants. They have 3-stream Wave 1 old radios plus a firmware bug in many firmware releases limiting the speed up to 500Mbps even to wired clients. Still, client connected to AX main will get AX speeds and the AC node won't be restriction, especially if it's mostly idle. Can't say about 160MHz wide channel (close to an airport location), but it's not guaranteed to work even with AX main to AX node anyway.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but this statement is incorrect. Tested with AX main + AC node few times* with very consistent results. When the client is connected to the AX main it has AX connection (up to 1200Mbps link speed, 80MHz wide channel). When it moves to the AC node it obviously drops to AC connection (up to 866Mbps link speed, 80MHz wide channel). The performance of the entire system is largely unaffected when using 4-stream routers on both ends. The backhaul link between RT-AX86U and RT-AC86U for example is >2Gbps when the routers are at about -60/65dBm. And this is larger distance because the routers are both higher power than clients.

* - the situation is different when using very old AC-class router for node as RT-AC68U. This one has 3-stream Wave 1 old radio plus a firmware bug in many firmware releases limiting the speed up to 500Mbps even to wired to it clients. Still, client connected to AX-Class Main Router will get AX speeds. Can't say about 160MHz wide channel (close to an airport location), but it's not guaranteed to work even with AX main to AX node anyway.

Noted thanks. Infact the TX Rate on the NODE is 877 which I think is "OK". sometimes goes a tad higher. And dBm is about 57-60

Noted thanks.

My reply was directed at @bbunge. He has experience with RT-AX86U (Pro) to RT-AC66U B1 (RT-AC68U variant) and this combination is not a good AiMesh example. RT-AX86U (Pro) main to RT-AC86U node changes the game significantly. RT-AC86U has 4-stream Wave 2 radio with 1024QAM support and can do up to 2167Mbps link speed.

My reply was directed at @bbunge. He has experience with RT-AX86U (Pro) to RT-AC66U B1 (RT-AC68U variant) and this combination is not a good AiMesh example. RT-AX86U (Pro) main to RT-AC86U node changes the game significantly. RT-AC86U has 4-stream Wave 2 radio with 1024QAM support and can do up to 2167Mbps link speed.
Mmmm I had tested it with an AC86U as well. Main AX86U would not go to 160 MHz on 5 GHz. Admit it was several months ago before I gave the AC86U away to a family that was running a very old G only router (they are very happy with the AC86U and I am about to upgrade them to an AX86U). And yes, the AC66U_B1 is taking up space on a shelf in the basement just-in-case...

Main AX86U would not go to 160 MHz on 5 GHz.

Probably, many reasons for this to happen. Firmware, environment, etc. But general statement "The AiMesh limits the ability of the mesh WIFI to the lowest device capabilities" is incorrect. AX-class devices will maintain AX-class speeds when connected to the main router and will run faster than when connected to AC-class node. At common 80MHz wide channels the difference in throughput is about 800Mbps vs 500Mbps (wired AiMesh) and much larger with retransmissions (wireless AiMesh). So lower class node is definitely not ideal configuration, but doesn't limit the entire AiMesh to its own capabilities. AiMesh is wired APs and wireless Repeaters after all.