What's new

How to get full house coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For some reason I thought they'd be on different LAN's since the router Lan 1 port is bridged to my pfsense box.

Then in this case, yes, they would be on different networks. I didn't realize you were running a router/pfsense between the ISP router in bridge mode and your network. If it is in straight up bridge mode, then it probably isn't going to work properly as an access point.

When I have used multiple wireless devices they have always been set the same. Same SSID same security level, same password, wireless access level like only N or N,G,orb. Can you mix security level access and still have clients switch wireless devices on the same SSID?

If you config. the routers as APs correctly, or use the ASUS I suggested above - which has a formal AP mode, you should have no issues accessing anything on your LAN, NAS included.
Printer, from Apple iPad can be hard as Apple is hyper-proprietary. I do it with the Bon Jour Apple printer support within my NAS.

Thanks everyone. I did just pick up a R7000 because the price dropped to $180 Can. I plan to use the Airport in the basement, R7000 on the main, and C7 upstairs. I'll look for an inexpensive router like the N-12 as Steve suggested.

I think if he wants it to be seamless as much as possible he needs to use same security levels. My understanding if he changes from one router used as an AP with say N only access with the same SSID and walks over to another router configed as a mixed mode he loses his seamless transfer as the connection needs to be renegotiated. So I am not sure any old router will do unless you want to use separate SSIDs. I would think AC router would be included in this statement also.

I'll look for an inexpensive router like the N-12 as Steve suggested.
Note that these ASUS products have formal mode choices for Router, AP, Bridge. Mine come from Newegg.

Separate SSIDs allow client devices that don't change from AP to AP to router properly (e.g., they imprudently stay with a weak signal). The user can manually choose an access device if the SSID suggests its location.
Some client devices are better at changing before the signal gets frustratingly weak.

Use power line and cascade a router and turn it into an AP. Use different SSID's for all networks. This is what I do in a 2600 square foot 2 story home and it works great.

Note that these ASUS products have formal mode choices for Router, AP, Bridge. Mine come from Newegg.

Separate SSIDs allow client devices that don't change from AP to AP to router properly (e.g., they imprudently stay with a weak signal). The user can manually choose an access device if the SSID suggests its location.
Some client devices are better at changing before the signal gets frustratingly weak.

Another way to do this if you just have one or two clients that are sticky, is if your routers have guest network ability, then run the main SSID all the same for them so that the clients that work fine will transition on their own. Then run a guest SSID (with all privelages enabled) with distinct naming for each access point.

So you have "My Home" as the primary SSID on all router/APs. Then you have "Kitchen" as one guest SSID, "Garage" as another, "Basement" as a third and so on.

Just a thought on it.

Also, yes, you'll have to have the same security on each router/AP as well as the same password. The mode it is running in doesn't matter (IE mixed, 11g only, etc.), or at least not that I have seen.

So I configured the routers that I have to all have static IP's, the same SSID, same encryption, and passwords. I'll run with this when I initially move into our house in a month. I'm trying to get it all working ahead of time so that it's pretty much plug and play when I move in as I'm only in the house for one day then I'm off to camp with my class of kids for the next 2 days. I just need to make sure that it all works out of the box for my wife.

Be sure the Static IPs are outside the range of IP addresses used by the router's DHCP server.

I did thanks Steve. I followed the guide that Tim linked for me. I think my upper range was something like 192.168.1.249 and I used .250 and .260

That should work correct? It seemed to work last night!

.260 will not work. The top range is .254.

.0-.254 is what can be used. .255 is used for broadcasts.

My suggestion is do one of two things. Use bottom or the top of the range for networking devices. For example, router on 192.168.1.1, the AP1 on .2, SP2 on .3 and use a reservation range of 192.168.1.100-.200

Or the top end with router on .1. So AP1 on .254, AP2 on .253, and then use a more standard reservation range of .2-.100.

That or use "even" IPs for the network appliances. Router on .1, AP1 on .100, AP2 on .150, AP3 on .200 and so on. Whatever mechanic makes it easiest for you to remember.

I use the top range working down. I think I am down to .250 at this point (3 managed switches, 2 APs and then my router is down at .1). I keep the APs on 254 and 253 and then the switches on 252, 251 and 250.

When I have used multiple wireless devices they have always been set the same. Same SSID same security level, same password, wireless access level like only N or N,G,orb. Can you mix security level access and still have clients switch wireless devices on the same SSID?

If you have the same SSID, don't mix auth protocols/shared secrets across multiple AP's - common SSID assumes same credentials, and a common LAN address...

For some reason I thought they'd be on different LAN's since the router Lan 1 port is bridged to my pfsense box.

If it's all the same LAN, keep it on one subnet - keeping it simple works much better...

In a home network, the only reason why I can see a VLAN/Different Sub-Net is for Guest networks, and that would imply a unique SSID for any AP's associated with that VLAN.

If you config. the routers as APs correctly, or use the ASUS I suggested above - which has a formal AP mode, you should have no issues accessing anything on your LAN, NAS included.
Printer, from Apple iPad can be hard as Apple is hyper-proprietary. I do it with the Bon Jour Apple printer support within my NAS.

I fail to see how Apple is "hyper-proprietary" with regards to Wifi access points - they comply with Standards - they do have their bonjour/mDNS stuff (and they don't play well with uPNP), but for AP/Client connectivity, they're no different than any other client...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!