What's new

Impossible to update to last firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

protobock

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I'm now running firmware 3.0.0.3.178.15 on my N66U. I tried to update to the last version but it does not work: The whole process runs without any problem but the router sticks to 3.0.0.3.178.15 after reboot.
I had already made several updates without any problem in the past.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you for your help

Try a different browser? Clear your browser cache?

Are you trying to update to f&w .20 ? Be aware that the NVRAM is is changed and you have to maually set all your settings again after the update to the latest f/w. You have to wait at least 5 minutes after updating the f/w
before you rebooy it. How do you update eg do you download the f/w and have it on your pc and then update pointing to this f/w:s location `?
As a last resort you can put the router in rescue mode and use the mini-web gui to clear the nvram and then the Asus utility programs - Firmware Restoration and upload the new f/w that way.

Hi,
I'm now running firmware 3.0.0.3.178.15 on my N66U. I tried to update to the last version but it does not work: The whole process runs without any problem but the router sticks to 3.0.0.3.178.15 after reboot.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you for your help

Are you trying to update to f&w .20 ? Be aware that the NVRAM is is changed and you have to maually set all your settings again after the update to the latest f/w. You have to wait at least 5 minutes after updating the f/w
before you rebooy it. How do you update eg do you download the f/w and have it on your pc and then update pointing to this f/w:s location `?
As a last resort you can put the router in rescue mode and use the mini-web gui to clear the nvram and then the Asus utility programs - Firmware Restoration and upload the new f/w that way.

Yes, I am trying to update to .20. I am already running a Merlin built so I think it is already a 64K NVRAM, isn't it?
Yes I downloaded the fw file to my HD and update from there.
I do not want to lose all my settings (not enough time now to set them again) so I wil not try the rescue mode today.
Thank you for your suggestions

Well, I managed to update to .20 this way:
I updated to the last official Asus fw online and then I was able to update to Merlin's build .20.

One thing to try when having issues updating is to disable Download Manager, then reboot your router. You might be running too low on RAM to be able to upgrade the firmware.

Thank you for the advice.
I now have the same problem to update to (.21). I disabled download master and rebooted with no success. And I can't update to official Asus version either. There is no more button on the user interface to do it automatically (as I did successfully before).
Have a nice week-end

I removed the automated check to avoid people accidentally reflashing the original Asus firmware. You can still download it from their website, unzip it on your computer, then flash it through that same web page.

Do you know the basics on using telnet/ssh? If so, I could try guiding you through manually flashing your router over telnet in case it's an issue with your computer or your web browser preventing you from flashing the router.

Hi,

I had the same issue several times. The only thing that worked was to unplug all wires (WAN/LAN/USB - not sure if the last step is needed) excepting the one from the router to my PC. After that, the router flashed ok via web browser.

I could try guiding you through manually flashing your router over telnet in case it's an issue with your computer or your web browser preventing you from flashing the router.
That would be nice really.

That would be nice really.

Move the firmware to the router (either using scp or by plugging a USB disk), then run the following command:

mtd-write -i /mnt/sda1/yourfirmware.trx -d linux && reboot

Be careful with this, as I don't think there is any validation made on the file prior to writing it to flash! This shouldn't be used unless you are really sure you know what you are doing, that the file is the correct one and it isn't corrupted. If the router doesn't reboot after the flash seems to have been completed, then it means mtd-write returned an error. Don't reboot until you actually fixed it, or be prepared for a trip through recovery mode.

RMerlin, isn't it easier/safer just to use FW restoration utility to flash in case webUI doesn't work on this?

RMerlin, isn't it easier/safer just to use FW restoration utility to flash in case webUI doesn't work on this?

Yes, but you're the one who asked me for the procedure ;)

I constantly flash my two routers that way BTW. Much faster for me to copy the newly compiled firmware using scp, switching SSH session to the router, and flashing the test firmware from the shell. But yes, this is definitely not something you'd want to do unless you were absolutely sure you knew what you were doing.