What's new

Is safe to setup "Alert preference"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Equinox

Occasional Visitor
I am considering setting up the "Alert Preference" within AiProtection. However, since the setup requires my Gmail and password, I have some concerns about sharing my password, especially since I don't fully understand how the alert system operates behind the scenes. e.g. what sending email server it goes through? does the password transferred with encryped or clear text?

Please advise. Thanks

Why do you need the alert? Giving your information away (involuntarily) or voluntarily is always a risk.

Regardless of encrypted, clear text, or any other 'guarantees' you may be sold, nobody can ensure your data remains secure.

Decide to share less, not more. Not every convenience is worth it (and actually, most aren't).

It's best to create an app specific password from within your Google account. That being said, the throwaway account I used that worked for a long time has NOT worked for a long time. Not sure if it's just my experience or not.

That being said, the throwaway account I used that worked for a long time has NOT worked for a long time. Not sure if it's just my experience or not.
I used a 'Throwaway' Gmail account as well.
It stopped working a couple of releases ago.
It changed so there we syslog entries instead, but they've stopped as well now.

It's not worth setting up.