What's new

Limiting speed factor?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agnej

New Around Here
Hey all,

I built my first NAS this weekend but I had thought it would be a little quicker.

The spec is as follows...

Athlon xp 1800, 512mb ram, 400gb ide hardrive, running freenas.

Its plugged into my bt voyager adsl modem for wifi.

When I connect through the wifi from my mac book I can only send or receive at the fastest of 3mb/s?

Any ideas as to why this is so slow?

Thanks in advance

As slow at that seems, you'll only over get about 25Mbit/s real-world throughput over Wireless-G, so 3MB/s is about right (assuming we're not confusing megabyte with megabit).

You would have to go hard-wired or Wireless-N to see any big performance boost. Even temporarily, try testing the speed over a wired connection and you'll likely see it's a lot faster.

Hey,

thanks for the reply....

which leads me to my next question..

Would I see much gain buying a Netgear WNR854T RangeMax NEXT 802.11n Wireless Router?

I dont need lightening fast speeds. I just want it quick enough that I can send across dvd iso's without having to wait an hr. Even 20MB/s would be great.

N seems to get about 35Mbit/s, or about 4MB/s in real-world speed. A decent improvement over G, but still relatively slow compared to wired speeds. To get 20MB/s (160Mbit/s), you'll need to step up to Gigabit Ethernet, as even 100Mbit (12.5MB/s) ethernet isn't theoretically capable of those speeds. Those are very reasonable and attainable numbers for GigE, but not wireless G or N.

Have a look at this thread.

Whether or not it's worth it is up to you, but based on your expectations N wont help much.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I'll probably end up buying a wireless n router and running a cable from my server in the attic to my room.

This means that when im burning dvds etc I can use the cable, but when I want to just steam movies/music or move small files I can still do it anywhere in the house.

I also need the new router as my bt voyager modem only has 1 lan slot anyway:mad:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!