What's new

Logout when Saving?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

labro

Occasional Visitor
On release 378.56_2 on both my old N66U and AC87U if I login to the admin panel from OpenVPN I am now unable to save any settings. If I try to change any settings on the router, it simply takes me back to the login page. Eventually it progresses to the point where it logs out as soon as you log in.

I've tried rebooting the router (via SSH) since the web interface just logs me out.
I've also tried deleting all cookies and switching browsers.

Sadly none of these seem to help. Even on LAN I am not able to login and stay logged in. I read about a change log on a bug related to this possibly? But not sure how to resolve this without doing factory resets.

Try accessing your router by its IP if you were accessing it by a hostname.

I'm new here. I do access my Asus RT-N66U router via IP. But have the same issue. Any page in the firmware UI when clicking on "Save" (or "Reboot" or "upload firmware", etc) goes immediately to the Sign In screen. Somehow, after 6-8 hours, yesterday, I was at least able to get through Setup, far enough to assign WPA-Personal passwords on the two bands. But the router is still broadcasting two open-login bands (in addition to my WPA-enabled bands), and trying to assign passwords to either of them, to disable them, in a sense, results in the immediate return to Sign In.

I installed merlin primarily to setup VPN, and that VPN setup was the first thing that went back to Sign In, when trying to "Save" changes. [Edit] And there's no advanced tab in the VPN setup, so a variety of VypyrVPN settings have no way of being injected... Doesn't really matter, I suppose, since even if it existed, saving the prefs would log me out, anyway

I use a browser with Zero plugins, as a test, and the firmware UI has the exact same result.If I select the merlin firmware, or Asus firmware, through "Browse" it will show the firmware as being ready to upload, but clicking "Upload" hesitates, then reverts back to Sign In.

I'm shopping for a new router. But figured I might as well try to get help, first. Thank you.

Last edited:
I tried what Merlin suggested and guess what! It worked. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm able to login (only) by IP address. Seems like a bug though.
flipper, you may want to try that as well, seems to work. Additionally, on my N66, I found that the upgrade between the previous release and this current one needed to be factory reset - things worked smoothly (but its in AP mode so it had to be reset anyway). Hope that helps.

There's a problem in how the http server handles referrers, but I'm unable to reproduce it here.

would strace output help and http requests being logged?

No. It's not a crash, it's something that doesn't work as expected.

I tried what Merlin suggested and guess what! It worked. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm able to login (only) by IP address. Seems like a bug though.
flipper, you may want to try that as well, seems to work. Additionally, on my N66, I found that the upgrade between the previous release and this current one needed to be factory reset - things worked smoothly (but its in AP mode so it had to be reset anyway). Hope that helps.
Thanks for the effort. I always access the interface with an IP address (numeric-only, no https, etc).

Just wanted to add my two cents to this thread on this issue. I too have noticed that when saving certain settings on the router, I get logged out right after the save and am forced to log back into the Merlin FW web site on the router.

Being unfamiliar with either the stock ASUS firmware or this Merlin variant, I assumed it was an annoying normal behavior of this router and FW combo. If it is not supposed to be doing this, I hope it can be fixed.

I always come into the router web pages using its default IP address: 192.168.1.1

I am also experiencing this issue on my N66U. I've tried factory defaults then restores. I also cannot update to the latest alpha or any firmware for that matter. Is recovery an alternative, or do you think it's correctable some other way?

I have confirmed that this problem exists on the RT-N66U in:
  • Merlin RT-N66U_378.56_2
  • Merlin RT-N66U_380.57_0
  • Asus RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_378_9383-gc6c2b9d
With each of these loads I have tried reverting to factory defaults and then manually entering my configuration changes. As soon as I start configuring advanced settings, such as manually assigned DHCP addresses, I get kicked out to the login screen. After this point, sometimes even trying to view a web page will randomly send me back to the login screen.

One other symptom that happens with each of the 3 versions of firmware, is that the Real-time Traffic Monitor will show the grid, but will not show the traffic graphs.

The only recovery I have found is to use the hardware button to reset to factory defaults (the web reset to defaults kicks back to the login screen), reloading Merlin RT-N66U_378.55_0, and then restoring the configurations I saved for that firmware load.

This appears to be related to the issue described in http://www.snbforums.com/threads/httpd-dying.29296/.

As an experiment, could someone with this problem please check the settings for cookie handling in your browser, and change it to accept all cookies (including 3rd party cookies).

Just wanted to add my two cents to this thread on this issue. I too have noticed that when saving certain settings on the router, I get logged out right after the save and am forced to log back into the Merlin FW web site on the router.

Being unfamiliar with either the stock ASUS firmware or this Merlin variant, I assumed it was an annoying normal behavior of this router and FW combo. If it is not supposed to be doing this, I hope it can be fixed.

I always come into the router web pages using its default IP address: 192.168.1.1
I'm having the same issue too. The new settings actually get saved and I have to log back in.
I also notice that if I do MAC and IP Address binding for a connecting client, my AC68U disconnects all connecting clients half way during setting saving progress and log me out when it completes the saving
and all disconnected clients have to reconnect.
I've seen this for both 380.57 and stock 380.1031. I always use router IP for accessing the router Web UI.

@RMerlin: May I ask if this is normal?

Folks,

There may be multiple issues at play here. I would like to mention my issue: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt...rowser-issue-see-my-post-of-2015-12-18.28205/ . In my case, I found that Merlin firmware and at least the two latest Asus firmwares are very picky about what web browser I use. I have to resort to using a browser on a lightly used Linux machine to access my RT-AC68P. I have not been able to isolate the problem on my preferred computer. Browser setting? Computer networking setting?

As an experiment, could someone with this problem please check the settings for cookie handling in your browser, and change it to accept all cookies (including 3rd party cookies).

I have tried the experiment. I upgraded the RT-N66U router with RT-N66U_380.57_0. Using Chrome, I browsed around a bit to prove that it was again kicking me back to the login screen at random times. I turned off the Chrome setting "Block third-party cookies and site data". Again I browsed around a bit and it was still kicking me back to the login screen at random times.

The issue doesn't appear to be related to accepting 3rd party cookies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!