What's new

Looking to buy AX router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T-Bo4

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Looking to change my wrt32 for an AX router to get wifi 6 and wider coverage.

1- Keep current wrt32
----- PROS : Less expensive solution and already flashed with operwrt

2- Asus TUF-AX4200
----- PROS : Openwrt compatible and can get it at a reasonable price

3- Asus RT-AX86U Pro or RT-AX88U Pro
----- PROS : Merlin compatible and wide wifi coverage

4- Netgear RAXE-300
----- CONS : No wireguard support and no opensource firmware

5- Asus ExperrWifi EBR63
----- Amazing dashboard and features, but no opernsource firmware and only ax3000

6- Any other idea? Let me know

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @T-Bo4.

Just note that for option #3, those two models are not comparable. The RT-AX88U Pro is the superior model, even for a higher price. Particularly if you want to keep this new router as long as possible, or, get the highest possible price for it when you do decide to sell it for WiFi 7 products in about 18 months to two years from now.

1- Keep current wrt32

I would keep using the existing OpenWrt router.

Hi guys,

1- Keep current wrt32

2- Asus TUF-AX4200
----- PROS : Openwrt compatible and can get it at a reasonable price

3- Asus RT-AX86U Pro or RT-AX88U Pro
----- PROS : Merlin compatible and wide wifi coverage

4- Netgear RAXE-300
----- CONS : No wireguard support and no opensource firmware

5- Asus ExperrWifi EBR63
----- Amazing dashboard and features, but no opernsource firmware and only ax3000

6- Any other idea? Let me know

Thanks!

If ASUS, then No. 3 (on sale this week).

Note that arriving next gen 3.0.0.6 firmware will require 'pro' models.

OE

I've had several Linksys routers over the years going back to the WRT54G which was an amazing product for its time. I doubt you will get another router that will significantly beat the WRT32 for range. Bandwidth yes but with increased bandwidth comes a slight decrease in WIFI range or so I've been told. I'm not so sure the Asus AX88U Pro is significantly better than the AX86U Pro (which I have and really like).
Depending where you purchase from you can buy a router, try it and send it back if it does not work for you. I've done this with Amazon a couple of times with no questions asked.
And, for many, the Merlin firmware is well worth it!

I've had several Linksys routers over the years going back to the WRT54G which was an amazing product for its time. I doubt you will get another router that will significantly beat the WRT32 for range. Bandwidth yes but with increased bandwidth comes a slight decrease in WIFI range or so I've been told. I'm not so sure the Asus AX88U Pro is significantly better than the AX86U Pro (which I have and really like).
Depending where you purchase from you can buy a router, try it and send it back if it does not work for you. I've done this with Amazon a couple of times with no questions asked.
And, for many, the Merlin firmware is well worth it!
the wrt54g was great used mine for years then came the wrt300 and wrt600 which lost support after 6 months , Linksys never bothered to fix a few bugs on them then dropped all support after a few months , never bought Linksys again .
I would go for the 88u pro , best bang for the $

And to @TheLostSwede question above - How many clients need or can do >500Mbps over Wi-Fi?

Marvell 88F6820 in Linksys WRT32X is excellent. In some applications like true SQM it may outrun Broadcom BCM4912 in Asus Pro models. WRT32X also has better chances for continued 3rd party firmware support. Both DD-WRT and OpenWrt run on it fine. The future of Asuswrt-Merlin on Asus Pro models is unclear after Asus move them all to 3.0.0.6 firmware. If WAN speed is up to Gigabit and Wi-Fi 6 is really needed I would add an AP to WRT32X and call it a day. If VLANs in OpenWrt work properly on WRT32X a VLAN capable business AP is perfect fit and ahead of what's currently available to many home AIO routers, including Asus.

Just note that you will not get wider coverage...

The WRT32's, like the rest of the Marvell based WRT's - they were odd - good performers, and with factory firmware, e.g. Marvell WiFi drivers were quite good...

Marvell 88F6820 in Linksys WRT32X is excellent. In some applications like true SQM it may outrun Broadcom BCM4912 in Asus Pro models. WRT32X also has better chances for continued 3rd party firmware support. Both DD-WRT and OpenWrt run on it fine.

Except for Wireless - there's the factory stuff, which Marvell no longer has a stake in... It's still a good platform for OpenWRT based on routing, but it's showing it's age - there is no active development on that platform.

Most of the work these days is on MediaTek and Qualcomm over in OpenWRT land - and there, because of the open nature of MT76, MediaTek has been openly participating...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!