What's new

Mesh router vs regular for mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kofii12345

Occasional Visitor
Hello.
I want to add router to my home to extend range. I like the look of the typical mesh zenwifi router nut I am concerned about comparision to regular one like RT-AX55 for example. Is it worse for zenwifi that it doesn't have external big antenas in terms of range and performance? Are mesh models work better as nodes than regular ones? What model do you recommend to get the best range?

Many routers these days have internal antennas. In fact, some have both internal and external antenna. The AX86U and AX86U Pro have three external antenna and one internal antenna. Does it make a difference? probably not.
Best range? It depends on your environment. Walls, floors and WIFI interference from neighbors.
Recommended routers? RT-AX88U Pro and the RT-AX86U Pro are the most recommended as well as the GT-AX6000. Other Asus AX routers are good as well but it is a good idea to buy a recent release for the main router to hopefully get longer support. Some AX routers are already in End of Life status.

Hello.
I want to add router to my home to extend range. I like the look of the typical mesh zenwifi router nut I am concerned about comparision to regular one like RT-AX55 for example. Is it worse for zenwifi that it doesn't have external big antenas in terms of range and performance? Are mesh models work better as nodes than regular ones? What model do you recommend to get the best range?

If ASUS, consider the RT-AX88U Pro or the RT-AX86U Pro. Skip the ZEN models. Arriving next gen 3.0.0.6 'pro' firmware will require Pro models.

OE

Thanks. RT-AX88U is super expensive. Is it worth to pay that money to use it as a node instead of ZEN? The main router is AC86U and it will connect wirelessly.

Well worth the upgrade.

Make the RT-AX88U Pro (not the original RT-AX88U) the main router. Use the RT-AC86U only if needed (and even then, I'd use it in Media Bridge mode).

The RT-AX88U Pro is a superior model to the (once great, now EOL) RT-AX68U in the link above. Notice that a single RT-AX68U is superior to 2x RT-AC86Us.

Thanks. RT-AX88U is super expensive. Is it worth to pay that money to use it as a node instead of ZEN? The main router is AC86U and it will connect wirelessly.
No, there is no significant improvement with the AX88U Pro vs. the AX86U Pro. The AX86U Pro is a great router for most homes.

It is good to save a bit of money these days!

My AX86U + AC86U AiMesh would not hold 160MHz bandwidth; now with AX86U Pro + AX86U, it holds 160MHz indefinitely.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!