What's new

Modern recommended wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Royal2000H

Occasional Visitor
Helping out someone. They're currently using a RT-AC3200 as the router for their small business. Most devices are connected via a switch connected the to RC-AC3200. Few wifi devices as well. They've had this router for a long time.

Recently having connectivity issues, requiring network reboots etc. Spectrum has come a few times and two different technicians have suggested that the router should be upgraded/replaced.
They tried putting a Spectrum router in there, seems fine, but their router does not allow port forwarding and 1 of the devices on the network does require ports forwarded to it.

So the question is... what is the current recommended router?

I see a lot of recommendations for the RT-AX86U Pro but many of those comments are aging and at this point there may be a better one available.

Stability/reliability is most important. Not being used for tinkering or anything crazy. No one is gaming.

Thank you for your help

Many similar threads come almost every day.

Helping out someone. They're currently using a RT-AC3200 as the router for their small business. Most devices are connected via a switch connected the to RC-AC3200. Few wifi devices as well. They've had this router for a long time.

Recently having connectivity issues, requiring network reboots etc. Spectrum has come a few times and two different technicians have suggested that the router should be upgraded/replaced.
They tried putting a Spectrum router in there, seems fine, but their router does not allow port forwarding and 1 of the devices on the network does require ports forwarded to it.

So the question is... what is the current recommended router?

I see a lot of recommendations for the RT-AX86U Pro but many of those comments are aging and at this point there may be a better one available.

Stability/reliability is most important. Not being used for tinkering or anything crazy. No one is gaming.

Thank you for your help
Well yes, the AX86U Pro is still one of the most recommended led by the AX88U Pro. The GT-AX6000 also receives good recommendations. From time to time the AX86U Pro goes on sale and you can save $30 or more. I own an AX86U Pro and I would use it in a small office if I were still working for people.

Many similar threads come almost every day.

Sorry didn't see this subforum. Thanks for moving the topic! I'll also browse it too. Totally missed it.

Well yes, the AX86U Pro is still one of the most recommended led by the AX88U Pro. The GT-AX6000 also receives good recommendations. From time to time the AX86U Pro goes on sale and you can save $30 or more. I own an AX86U Pro and I would use it in a small office if I were still working for people.
Thank you for your response!

Only 20 dollars more for AX88u Pro, would you say that ax88u Pro is better than the ax86u Pro then? Asked differently, for the same price would you go with the 88?

I looked at the GT-AX6000 too but figured it's marketed toward gamers and wouldn't really fit in their office as nicely. But again also only $40 more than the 86 ($20 more than the 88), if the performance is noticeably better --- or it's more likely to stay reliable for longer, then it's worth the added cost.

The GT-AX6000 is the older model. The RT-AX88U Pro is the newer and better one. With possibly longer support.

Synology RT-6600ax

Seems a like a good fit - and you get free VPN licenses for your remote workers...

I noticed that the Asus RT-AX88U Pro has some vents on top right above the logo. Can this be an issue with dust?

Yes.

A vacuum works great once in a while.