What's new

Move the Router Antennas up or down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lukass2000

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
would like to screws my asus RT-AC87U to the wall in my livingroom.
Would set the router completely up, whereby the antennas point downwards.

So my question:
Does it make a difference whether the antennas are aligned up or down?

Could that make worse my wlan range on my floor?

Hello,
would like to screws my asus RT-AC87U to the wall in my livingroom.
Would set the router completely up, whereby the antennas point downwards.

So my question:

Could that make worse my wlan range on my floor?
As long as the antennas are basically vertical in both cases, the radiation pattern will be nearly a "doughnut" with the best signals at right angles to the antenna axis--in other words strong in horizontal directions in your case.

I suggest to mount the router with the antennas up or down based on best network- and power cable routing.
My concern with the antennas close to the wall is the wall structure and bad effect to the signal.
If the wall is armed concrete it would not be the best to mount the router against it.

Just do a controlled test. Too close the the wall mounting can have an effect depending on what the is the material of wall. It is all case by case, no general rule.

So my question:

beamforming takes care of most of these issues these days , antenna orientation used to be a thing back in the days of wireless G and N but not so much any more

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!