What's new

narrowed my search to two wi-fi routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ct1615

Regular Contributor
After doing plenty of research on SNB and several other review sites I narrowed my choices to the following two routers. I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, smear campaigns, etc.,

Netgear WNR 2500 (I can get one for $47)

Asus N56u (I can get one for $75)

My current set up – roughly 1500sq ft townhouse
Basement Office (about 35ft from the router) – one PC w/ rosewill 450mbs 2.4 or 5ghz N adapter. This PC is used for gaming and web surfing. Games played are mostly single player (on my steam account) or an occasional RPG-MMO (guild wars, lotro, etc.,). This PC also has a dedicated wi-fi printer.

1st FL – will be the location of the router. It will have one smart TV hard wired to the router used for netfliz and amazon movies.

2nd Fl – 1st bedroom office (about 25 ft from the router) one PC with a 150mbs N adapter used for web surfing. This PC also has a dedicated wi-fi printer.
2nd bedroom (about 35ft from the router) has a HDTV we hook our tablet to through the mini-hdmi port to watch Netflix and amazon movies. Tablet has a dual 2.4/5ghz N adapter.

We also have two android phones used for checking email/basic web surfing along with the tablet (both phones are 2.4ghz). We currently receive 2-3 wi-fi signals in our townhouse from neighbors. PCs share sporadic files with one another (nothing more demanding then a vacation pic or two). Current ISP is 15mbs down/ 5mbs up. Budget is a minor issue and I plan on keeping the router for 2, maybe 3 years.

Personal opinion for the netgear – great 2.45ghz signal and throughput. The most demanding PC has a 450mbs adapter. We currently have nothing that will take advantage of a gigabit port and the two clients that can use 5ghz are also the two furthest from the router and include walls & ceilings. Router also supports IPv6 and has a better price.

Personal opinion for the Asus – has a 5ghz signal and has gigabit ports allowing it to theoretically have a greater usability life span. Unfortunately its 2.4ghz signal is not as good as the netgear, costs a bit more, and does not support IPv6 (not positive on that last one)

Buy both, try them and keep the one that operates better for you. In the end, it's the only way to decide, once you have narrowed the field.

Hi,
If I were asked to choose one between those two, it is ASUS which is newer and dual band. But whatever suits the intended use, lesser cost is better.

Last edited:
I'd not spend money on dual-band, esp. if most of your client devices are not dual-band.

If two story and coverage needed where its lacking, as it was in my case for iPAD that wanders... I paid $35 at Fry's for an ASUS RT-N12D1 which has a router mode, and and AP mode. It's been reliable. Handhelds don't need gobs of speed.

I ordered the netgear router. I will see how it does and post my feedback. If it doesn't meet expectations then I can return it and get the Asus.

the asus 56u is a pretty good router. i just retired mine for the newer 68. i used the 56u in a 1300 square foot house with out any issues.

if i where you,i would look more into an n66. seems like people really like them. you can find sales for these all the time.

is that the N66U or N66R? Either way both are a bit more then I'd like to spend but I will keep an eye out in the future if I see a great sale on one or the netgear does not fit my needs.

Very impressive reviews for N66U (including SNB), if i need a 5ghz signal I think I would start my search with that unit.

I set up the WNR 2500. Range is very impressive, using tablet apps like speedtest and wi-fi meter, my signal is always "excellent" on wi-fi meter throughout my townhouse rather then "fair-excellent" using my previous router. Speettest has my downlink throughput 10-20% faster on my tablet.

P.S. I found out the N66U and N66R are the same router, the "R" is the retail (bog box store) version but you can still find it online and cheaper...

Last edited:
So after taking advice from both Tim and Toyz I purchased a Netgear WNR 2500 and Asus N-66-R (refurbished for $79). Both offered very fast speeds on the 2.4 ghz frequency. The range of the WNR-2500 is outstanding; the wi-fi apps on my tablet always had signal strength at “Excellent” even in the furthest regions of my condo (two walls about 30ft from the router). The Asus on the 2.4ghz frequency would drop to “good” on the furthest area but still offered just as fast speedtest scores. The 5ghz signal strength on the Asus showed the fastest speedtest speeds (about 15-20% higher then 2.4ghz on either router). 20FT away and through a wall, signal strength was still good. At the furthest region of the condo the signal did drop more but speedtest scores were still the same as 2.4ghz frequency. I plan to test the Asus 5ghz on the dreaded weekend Netflix / Amazon movie stream test.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!