What's new

Need some advice on a Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

du3443

New Around Here
Hello Everyone, I am new here and pretty new to networks in General.
I work for a small company. We have 2 P.C.'s that only do shipping and general internet surfing. Then we have 8 Imac's, the oldest one 2007. We do alot of FTP uploads and downloads and a lot of large file transfers inside the office. We are switching from being wireless to wired and I need to get a switch that will handle all of the above. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could guide me in the right direction. Do I need Managed or Unmanaged, and as far as that goes what is the difference. I mainly want to make sure that the Switch can handle the large files that do deal with and I would love for it to be simple and reliable. We would like to have at least 20 ports because we are growing pretty rapidly and don't want to purchase another switch in a few months.
Thank you in advance for any guidance.

So at minimum, you're probably wanting a 24 port switch. And keep in mind your router and a few other things take up ports, so maybe even 24 is tight. Maybe go for 48 or 2x 24's.

For that kind of scenario, you probably don't need too much. Managed switches are typically a little higher end, but unless you're dealing with things like QoS, VLANs, or STP then it doesn't much matter. Given your large file transfers and the sort, Gigabit is probably a good idea. Slightly beefier switches also tend to have a bit more RAM and processing power behind them.

Personally, my first choice is almost always the HP ProCurve line. Rock solid, reliable, lifetime warranty. If you need to use the warranty, replacement is fast and efficient. But D-Link and Linksys make some good switches as well, but if your getting into the 24+ port level with GigE, then I would go HP.

Thanks for your Reply

Ok that gets me started, Do I need to have a routher before my switch?
I might really be stupid, I was thinking of going from my cable modem to the switch. I am I going down the wrong path?

I might really be stupid, I was thinking of going from my cable modem to the switch. I am I going down the wrong path?
You definitely need a router if you are going to share an Internet connection. What are you using now?

You usually dont put a switch right on your cable modem. You need it to go into a router as Tim mentions.

Ironically, you can put your internet connection into a switch. This is usually referred to as implementing an 'edge' switch, used if your ISP gives you multiple IP's and you don't want to / can't use 1:1 NAT. This is something more advanced typically for multiple IP use, but you have to know what you're getting into to do that - and you still need a router anyhow. Otherwise, in most cases throwing a switch up between your cable modem and router is basically just adding a redundant device. It's not doing anything for you and just sucking up power. And it's one more device that can potentially fail or cause problems.

What you're probably going for is:

Cable Modem ---> Router ---> Switch ---> Computers/Devices

Last edited:
My router now!

Right now I have one of the new Airport Extreme wireless router with 4 ports.
Will that work? and if so would you reccomend that or should I get something a little beefier?

I found this switch and it is in my price range. Will it do what I need behind my Airport? HP J9019B 10/100Mbps + 1000Mbps ProCurve 2510-24G Switch

Or I found this one.
HP J9078A 10/100/1000Mbps ProCurve Switch 1400-24G
Let me know what your professional opinion is on these.

Thanks, In advance

Last edited:
Funny as I've used both those switches, they're both really good. I've actually used and deployed a ton of 2510-24's (non G versions, only 10/100). They're a good solid switch. Either one of those should serve you really well. And like I said HP's warranty is pretty good. Every time I've needed to use it I've gotten a brand new switch at my door in 1 or 2 business days.

An airport extreme should be ok, although I haven't used them much myself. They seem to have a pretty loyal fanbase and a decent feature set. It really just boils down to whether you need a router that can do more with more support for protocols like QoS, VLANs, advanced subnetting, VPN functionality, etc. It doesn't sound like the size of your business requires alot of this yet, but if you're growing fast things can change. For example, if something like a VOIP phone system is in your future, many of those features start to become desirable. For example, you say there's a lot of large file transfers going on - QoS can be helpful to manage traffic and mitigate the effect this has on other activies. In a business of 5-10 people, this probably isn't a big deal to begin with, but once it gets to 20, 30, 40+ people little things like this can start to become a problem. Throw VOIP in the mix and things get even more troublesome.

My rule of thumb in a business environment is always to get something that will sustain you for a solid 3 year period, especially if lots growth is expected. That's what I recommend, if the budget doesn't support it, fine. But 6 months down the road when trouble arises I can rest on my initial recommendation.

Ok Here goes

Well I purchased one, I figure I can always return it if it not what I need, I went with your input and I got an HP.
I went with the HP J9078A 10/100/1000Mbps ProCurve Switch 1400-24G I wasn't sure but I thought that this one has all ports that are gigabit and the other only had two, I may be off on that but that is what I read and since we all have gigabit connection on our mac's I thought it would be the one for us.
I will be back to let you know how the purchase went and how the install goes, I can't think you all enough for your help. You are all a lifesaver.
Thanks,
Dusty

The only one recommendation I'll have about the install, is that by default (at least when I was installing them), they aren't assigned an IP address, so the only way you can manage them (at first) is by a serial connection. You can go in, assign an IP address and then do everything by the web, you'll just have to get in via. serial & hyper terminal first. Minor pain in the butt. Otherwise, default settings should be fine. The switch supports a fair amount of features and toys, but in its basic form it will serve you well.

Yeah they have a default static IP out of the box, the 1800 models I commonly use, 192.168.2.10 I'm guessing the 1400 series would follow that standard.

no DHCP on them, so you'll need to assign your PC a static IP in the same range, something like 192.168.2.11/255.255.255.0, you can leave the gateway and DNS blank, only need to hit the web admin. Plug into switch...reconfigure LAN IP of the switch to match your network, plug into network, reset your PCs TCP to what it was before..should be all set.

Yeah they have a default static IP out of the box, the 1800 models I commonly use, 192.168.2.10 I'm guessing the 1400 series would follow that standard.

I could be mistaken, but isn't the 1400 series an unmanaged switch? In other words, it doesn't have an IP address of its own?

I could be mistaken, but isn't the 1400 series an unmanaged switch? In other words, it doesn't have an IP address of its own?

Didn't check his specific model...just going by memory on the 1800's I've installed. If all 1400s are unmanaged..you are correct, no LAN IP address, so literally just plug 'n play, zero config required.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!