What's new

New at Moca and need help. Will this work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wolf359

New Around Here
Moca.JPG

If you have questions about the diagram please ask. I need help. Will this work? I am going to use moca splitters.
Basically, will the two "outs" on the splitter be able to see each other and pass data? If not is there a device that will work in this situation? What is it called?
Thanks.
Jason

Yes, it should work ... provided a 70 dB "PoE" MoCA filter is added to the input port of the top-level 2-way splitter in the junction box, to secure the MoCA signals inside the residence (and also provide a reflective performance benefit to the MoCA signals). A second MoCA filter may be needed, on the modem, if the modem exhibits sensitivity to MoCA signals.

Also, the diagram is a little confusing in the Bedroom: the modem will connect to the primary router "WAN/Internet" port, and the MoCA adapter would be connected to a LAN port on the same router.

Related:

Thanks @krkaufman
I noticed the diagram was mislabeled this AM. Thanks for catching that. And thanks for the related posts.
I may keep my current setup (which seems to work really well) but it is nice to know I have options.
regarding my current setup: I need to know if I need a POE filter if my setup does not have the moca adapters on the same leg of the coax as the modem? Can it bleed through the ethernet?

MoCA is designed to use port hopping (passing between output ports), as described in one or more of the above links; regardless, a simple splitter doesn’t have filtering that would block MoCA signals … which is why the prior reply said that you may require a second “prophylactic” MoCA filter to protect the modem, if the modem exhibits sensitivity to MoCA signals.

I may keep my current setup (which seems to work really well) but it is nice to know I have options.
Not sure what this means as no suggestion was made to drastically alter the setup; and however well it may be working, a “PoE” MoCA filter is required, as described in the prior reply and linked “outline” comment.

If MoCA is already functioning absent a separate MoCA filter to protect the modem, it would appear that the modem, under its current configuration, is NOT sensitive to MoCA signals, so the additional “prophylactic” MoCA filter is not required. edit: Comment struck due to no evidence one way or the other, based on replies, given the "current" setup has the modem isolated from MoCA signals.

Last edited:
Sorry the diagram is not the current setup. The diagram is a proposed alternate setup. I am working on getting a diagram of my current setup posted. Long story short, current setup has no POE filter, and I don't think it needs one, however opinions differ and I wanted yours. The input for the internet comes in on coax and the moca is on a seperate leg, isolated from the input. That is my current setup. Do I need a filter?

If the MoCA signals have a physical path via coax to exit the home, a “PoE” MoCA filter is required to block MoCA from passing at the point-of-entry/exit.

If the MoCA-infused coax segment is physically isolated and so has no path to exit the home, no “PoE” MoCA filter is required to secure the MoCA network.

The latter appears to describe your current setup (assuming "separate leg from IN" means physically isolated) — and is preferable in a DOCSIS install, since it future-proofs for the evolution of DOCSIS spectrum usage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!