What's new

New Home, New Network Options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

acfpt

New Around Here
Hello All-

I have just moved into a new home, and am trying to figure out how I am going to go about setting up a new home network. This might be a lengthy post because I have quite a few detailed questions.

Basics:

-I have Cat 5e and Coax running to all but one room where I want to establish a connection to the network (family room has coax only). Cat 5e is currently terminated for phone only (RJ11, not RJ45)
-None of the lines go to the same location in the room (Cat 5e and Coax usually on opposite sides of the room)
-I would like this network to support data transfer (accessing photos/videos on a NAS and backing up), video transfer (whole-house DVR system and/or media distribution via iTunes or similar), and be compatible with DSL and Cable television (providers are AT&T for DSL and Comcast for television)
-Both the Cat 5e and the Coax distribute from an OnQ box in my laundry room which is upstairs
-I will use wireless for casual internet use/printing/scanning to multiple computers

Here are the questions:
-Since Coax has Cat 5e beat by one drop location, would a MoCA network be the most appropriate choice? From what I have read, it would more than support the bandwith I would need for my purposes.
-Is it worth re-terminating the Cat 5e to RJ45 and converting it to an Ethernet system? I would only need one active phone jack to distribute a cordless phone system from a single base station. However, I don't have a drop at my main television, which means connecting a TiVo or similar via wireless.
-If I go with MoCA, which is what I am leaning towards, what equipment would I need to establish the network? I would initially need to attach a NAS to the network, the wireless router (Airport Extreme Dual Band), and allow 2 MacBook Pro's to attach to access the NAS and perform backups. The future would include at least 2 TiVo/DVR's

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tim-

Thank you for the information. Is there a particular reason why you suggest Ethernet over MoCA? I understand that the hardware is a larger $$$ investment up front, but it seems reliable enough.

Thanks again for the help.
Adam

MoCA installation isn't always problem free. Splitters may have to be replaced and you may need to experiment to get high enough throughput.

Ethernet just works.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!