What's new

OpenVPN Setup Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well I'm out of ideas. It looks like it should work as far as I can see.

The only odd thing I've noticed (which wouldn't really cause this problem) is your LAN's domain name (LAN - LAN IP) is set to "hostname", which is a bit of an odd name.

Well I'm out of ideas. It looks like it should work as far as I can see.

The only odd thing I've noticed (which wouldn't really cause this problem) is your LAN's domain name (LAN - LAN IP) is set to "hostname", which is a bit of an odd name.
Sorry I edited that before posting. It is not the original domain name. I am probably being over cautious with public sharing clubbed with ignorance I am probably editing out unnecessary stuff.

So I noticed that when I connect to VPN on my phone I actually don't have any internet connection at all, but I can ping 8.8.8.8 or even my router 10.0.0.1 but not my server 10.0.0.133

How can I ping a public IP when I don't have internet? Is there anything in the server config advanced settings I can tweak.

Screenshot_20230630-153037.png

So I noticed that when I connect to VPN on my phone I actually don't have any internet connection at all, but I can ping 8.8.8.8 or even my router 10.0.0.1 but not my server 10.0.0.133

How can I ping a public IP when I don't have internet? Is there anything in the server config advanced settings I can tweak.
It might be saying that there's no internet if it can't resolve a common DNS name (e.g. google.com). Try changing back that DNS setting I mentioned before (VPN Server - OpenVPN > Advertise DNS to clients = No). You will loose the ability to resolve local names (but that's not working anyway) but public names should work.

Tried that, now there is internet with VPN and Google.com pings successfully. So does my router's IP. But still no luck with accessing any websites local or public while connected to VPN. This is just the weirdest thing.

I suggest you start from the beginning. You're no better off today than when you started this thread on Tuesday. No offense to ColinTaylor, but from your first post you mention how green you are with networking.

When you flashed the router with the latest RMerlin firmware, did you perform a full reset to factory defaults afterward?

Did you minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? Without using a saved backup config file?

Did you insert a USB drive that was previously used for amtm/scripts? Without first formatting it to NTFS on a PC?

If you didn't properly do the above, and in the correct order, then do so now. And until you get the basics working, do not use PiHole.

Note that toggling settings on/off past their defaults is not the same as leaving them at defaults on the first place.

Get your router and your network back to a good/known state again. Then add the VPN. Then, add Pi Hole, if needed.

Thank you, I have also reached that conclusion.

However that would be a slightly significant time investment and hence I will have to wait until after this coming week, July 4th week, at least. In order to do it right I do have a few questions :
  1. I have 3 AI Mesh nodes would I have to revert them to factory settings and re-establish connections again after hard resetting the router.
  2. When I reset the router - will it revert back to stock firmware?
  3. Do I have to save the config or parts of it at all before the hard reset process?
  4. Anything to do with the numerous clients connected wired or wireless y to the router? Should all of them be power cycled after the router reset before establishing the connection?
  5. If so, can they be power recycled one at a time and then connected before moving to the next client or should all of them be power recycled before establishing connections on any?
Thanks a ton @ColinTaylor for troubleshooting with me.

Last edited:
1. Yes, perform a full reset to factory defaults on the nodes. Do not connect to them directly via their GUI. Use the add AiMesh node function in the main router's GUI to re-associate them.

2. Performing a proper/full reset of the router's firmware does not revert it to stock firmware. What it does is allow the firmware that is currently installed to use its expected defaults and variables. Highly recommended when the changelog indicates to do so, but also when flashing from stock to RMerlin firmware (or vice versa) to allow the respective firmware you flashed and want to use the best chance of seeing the changed variables and defaults it expects to. Even when moving from major version jumps of the same firmware, a full reset is usually needed/helpful to have a stable network. And occasionally, even moving from a .10 to a .11 release, it is required to fully implement the major changes that the .01 release brought.

3. There is no point in saving the config today, your network isn't stable or reliable in its current state. If you restore it, it is effectively like you didn't do the reset in the first place. The best use for restoring a backup config file is explained in the following link. But note that in your case here, you're not going to need it.

What you may want to do after fully completing this process, is create a Word/text file of the changes you've made past defaults, and save it for the next time this process may be needed.

4. 5. I would power down everything in the network (including the modem/ONT). Remove all USB devices from the router(s). Remove all WAN and LAN cables (yes, I set up the router without being connected to the internet). When the router is secured and fully updated and set up with the defaults I want (see the links I proved above), then I power on the modem/ONT, wait for 5 minutes after it has fully booted up, then connect and power on the main router. At this point, I connect all wired devices, reboot the router, and test those devices again. Now I add the wireless devices one by one, testing them as I go. At this point, you should have a stable network with the router working and responding as expected. Only at this point would I add any nodes (and only if they are needed).

While the above seems like a lot of work, it really isn't. There is at most a 15-minute time period where you'll actually have no internet doing the above.

The following links may also be helpful to you to get your router/network to a good/known state.