What's new

Orbi RBR50 Dropped Packets AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theoak

Regular Contributor
System:
World
DSL Model
Cable 1
Personal Router (running Untangle)
Cable 2 (Internet Port on Orbi Router)
Orbi Router (AP Mode)
WiFi
Orbi Satellite 1​
(Port 1 on Orbi Router) Cable 3 (Port 1 on Sat 2)
Orbi Satellite 2
I had a RBR50 that was doing random reboots. Along the way I noticed that my personal router would report "dropped" packets on Cable 2. This plugs into the "Internet" (WAN) port of the RBR50.

From what I read "dropped packets" are not necessarily a bad thing but I don't remember seeing that from prior access points.

Yes, I swapped all the cables, no change.

So I RMA the RBR50 and get a new one.

My configuration process is essentially:

1. Configure wifi
2. Configure wifi channels
3. Configure logging
4. Configure Daisy Chain (turn off)
5. Maybe a few more settings
6. Set to Access Point.
7. Set SSID
8. Whole home now connects to WiFi

Steps 1 to 5 I notice no dropped packets! The Orbi router is in Router mode during these steps as that is how it first comes up. Wahoo! I am thinking that my original must have had really had issues.

I then flip the Orbi to Access Point mode. Bam ... "dropped" packets start showing up.

Home network seems to be fine and stable.

Anyone else with a similar configuration notice this?

Sounds awfully similar to the R7800 data corruption issues in AP mode with the WAN port in use.

Is Netgear really that bad at fixing bugs?

I saw references to that and the use of the WAN port in AP mode for other routers.

I am suspecting that it is the same thing.

I could try and flip the cable to a LAN, but then the router glows pink with nothing in the WAN port. I guess if I need mood lighting ...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!