What's new

Planning home setup, feedback wanted!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Master Pain

Occasional Visitor
Hi there! Long time lurker, first time poster.

The gear: I got two brand new RT-AC86U routers for really cheap (~$150 a piece). I also have a RT-AC66U (A1 version) still working good that I want to use to extend coverage in the new setup. I will flash the latest Merlin software on the Asus routers. I also have a RP-AC52 that can be added to the setup, but I haven't taken that into consideration just yet.

The situation: One house, one fiber line, two apartments - the line has to be shared for both apartments. One RT-AC86U is gonna be on the second floor, and the other + my old RT-AC66U on the first floor. The second floor setup is locked and cannot be changed for now, but I have full access to (and will admin) router settings for all routers on the network.

The goal: Optimally, a great WiFi coverage in the entire house with two separate SSID's (main and guest). I'm thinking that I'll be on the main SSID+cable, the second floor apartment will be on guest SSID (wireless devices only). Computer workstation on first floor must be prioritized for VOIP, video meetings and web development. There's also bad cell reception on the first floor, so WIFI calling without interruptions is also preferred.

The plan: I'll figure out the best placement for optimal coverage myself, but I'm not sure what will be the best setup out of these two alternatives for speed and reliability, or if you guys have a better idea:

pWqGPcE.png

ANY feedback is appreciated guys :)

Hi there! Long time lurker, first time poster.

The gear: I got two brand new RT-AC86U routers for really cheap (~$150 a piece). I also have a RT-AC66U (A1 version) still working good that I want to use to extend coverage in the new setup. I will flash the latest Merlin software on the Asus routers. I also have a RP-AC52 that can be added to the setup, but I haven't taken that into consideration just yet.

The situation: One house, one fiber line, two apartments - the line has to be shared for both apartments. One RT-AC86U is gonna be on the second floor, and the other + my old RT-AC66U on the first floor. The second floor setup is locked and cannot be changed for now, but I have full access to (and will admin) router settings for all routers on the network.

The goal: Optimally, a great WiFi coverage in the entire house with two separate SSID's (main and guest). I'm thinking that I'll be on the main SSID+cable, the second floor apartment will be on guest SSID (wireless devices only). Computer workstation on first floor must be prioritized for VOIP, video meetings and web development. There's also bad cell reception on the first floor, so WIFI calling without interruptions is also preferred.

The plan: I'll figure out the best placement for optimal coverage myself, but I'm not sure what will be the best setup out of these two alternatives for speed and reliability, or if you guys have a better idea:

pWqGPcE.png

ANY feedback is appreciated guys :)

I'd try Plan A but omit the 66U to simplify, and wire the 86U as an AiMesh remote node for whole house same SSIDs with fixed channels and guest SSIDs on the router/root node (2nd floor) only.

Missing information: sq ft of each level and what user access is permissible?

OE

I'd try Plan A but omit the 66U to simplify, and wire the 86U as an AiMesh remote node for whole house same SSIDs with fixed channels and guest SSIDs on the router/root node (2nd floor) only.

Missing information: sq ft of each level and what user access is permissible?

OE

Thank you for your reply!

I think I'll try your suggestion first, as I only need my computer to be connected by wire so I'll pop that right into the second floor main node via the RJ45 socket and place the 1st floor router more central.

If that doesn't suffice, I will try adding the 66U or maybe get another 86U to get a bigger range.

About Sq ft: both floors are about 650 Sq ft, but first floor is a basement apartment with concrete walls, so that might limit the range. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again!

About user access, I have total control over every device on the network, but limited physical access to the second floor router. But I will be the network admin.

About user access, I have total control over every device on the network, but limited physical access to the second floor router. But I will be the network admin.

Sounds like the 2nd floor users are not a privacy or security concern.

An 86U on each level should be ample coverage, even if not ideally located. With the lower 86U wired to the upper 86U, I would not hesitate to wire the lower PC to the lower 86U.

Be sure to set the lower 86U node connection priority to wired/Ethernet (from within the upper 86U webUI).

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!