What's new

Prospective RT-AX86U Pro purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calzor suzay

Regular Contributor
First ever 'proper' router was a RT-AC68U, upgraded to RT-AC86U many years back now and made use of the older model in an AiMesh config.
Network is expanding over time, mainly with IOT devices and Wi-Fi versions have increased as new devices have been bought etc.

So... looking at the RT-AX86U Pro, it seems high up the asuswrt download list so well supported and a good user base. Good reviews etc
My question is more around the 'pro' version which seems to have the ability to have vLANs.
Does this mean I can run my IOT devices on one vLAN, Media (speakers, TVs etc) on another, and phones, PC, laptops etc on another?
Or is it more marketing BS rather than proper separate routable vLANs?

Given no 3.0.0.6 firmware release yet for the AX86U Pro, it's still in Marketing. Call it BS, if that helps you, but that would be premature, imo.

OE

Old routers in AiMesh are unlikely to support this configuration anyway.

Or is it more marketing BS rather than proper separate routable vLANs?

When 3.0.0.6 is released for the AX86U Pro, it will be proper VLAN, but non-3.0.0.6 routers will not recognize it. This may be fixable with scripting.

OK I might hold off for a while, there's no burning need to upgrade and yes I would assume I'd need to do the main unit and another Wi-Fi 6 unit for any mesh. I can spend money on other toys for now :)

Still, the AX86U Pro is a very good router. Now on sale for $199.

Is the RT-AX88U Pro better? Seems the same but more LAN ports on the back.
Lose 2.5GB port but I'm not really fussed by that but I use the 4 ports now and having more would be handy and allow me to remove a TP Link switch. This seems to be on the 3.0.0.6+ firmware as well.

Check the specs again. You are looking at the older RT-AX88U, not the newer Pro version.
Hmm I was looking at the Amazon write up.
So 4 x 1gb and 2 * 2.5gb with one of those as WAN.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!