What's new

Question about offloading Traffic Analyzer stats to USB...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
I realized this morning that my USB 2.0 flash drive was formatted HFS+ so I reformatted it from within the router GUI and changed the FS to FAT. I then reselected the drive in "Tools | Other Settings" and clicked the "Yes" radio button to remove/recreate files.

Despite doing this, all of the information on the Traffic Analyzer "Statistics" tab is still present. It looks like the Traffic Monitor tab did indeed reset.

Should I take this to mean that the historical info isn't stored on USB and rather somewhere internal to the router? I tried using the trash can icon to clear it and even that doesn't work.

Traffic Analyzer (Trend Micro) and Traffic Monitoring (Asus) are two totally separate features, with their own separate database.

So given the issues I've had with AI Protect, should I keep Traffic Analyzer off? Or does it not add the overhead that AI Protect does?

Traffic Analyzer has been enabled for years here, no issue.

By the way, it definitely looks like AI Protect (specifically the Malicious Sites Blocking feature) was what was killing the resources on my router after upgrading to 14 release. It's fast as fast can be now with AI Protection completely disabled. Sure wish I could use it, seems like a "nice to have" extra protection...

I use Malicious Sites blocking and Two-Way IPS (but not Infected Device blocking). No issue so far, however the Trend Micro engine is model-specific, so my RT-AX88U uses different components than the RT-AC86U (which incidently is the only model where the dcd daemon crashes frequently for some users).

Hmmm...I've been somewhat regretting getting the AC86U instead of the AX88U and now you tell me this. :)

What's the dcd daemon do, FWIW?

Hmmm...I've been somewhat regretting getting the AC86U instead of the AX88U and now you tell me this. :)

What's the dcd daemon do, FWIW?

Not sure, it's a proprietary daemon from Trend Micro, tied to their whole solution.

Ah, so that makes sense. I appear to have no issues at all as long as AI Protection is turned off but like I said, I'd really like to use it. Let me ask you this:

If money were no object at all, what Merlin-compatible router would you buy? I have until January 30th to return this one. I thought it would be more powerful than it is. Not really interested in "future proof" since I'm not sure there is such a thing as fast as things change. Just wanting to take full advantage of the firmware.

@htismaqe, RMerlin has an RT-AX88U which he uses as his full-time router. :)

Having had both the RT-AC86U and now the RT-AX88U, there is no question which one I would recommend. The RAM and the extra two cores, let alone the 4 external antennae and 8 ports makes it an easy recommendation if it is within your budget.

I think that's where I'm headed after we get back from our Christmas vacation. Thanks guys.