What's new

Quick question on use of VPN for new guy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paliv

Very Senior Member
So I am new to using VPNs. I don't torrent, or need to hide internet use from the wife, and I know a VPN service doesn't actually offer as much privacy as they want you to think. What I do want to use it for is traveling. Specifically my wife and I want to stream stuff and generally browse when we are staying at a house we're staying at with some friends this summer. I'm pretty sure they'll offer free public wifi...which make me uneasy. I basically just want to know if IKEv2 apps for iOS are secure enough to ward off anybody using wireshark to try to sniff out passwords and that sort of thing. All the privacy advocate cry foul about IKEv2 and the NSA, which I honestly am not worried about. I don't use the internet for much more than light browsing, and obviously we won't be using any sensitive data. I just want to practice general caution.

Using a VPN when traveling is one application where VPNs actually greatly increasing your security by helping to prevent man in the middle attacks. What you are concerned about is already prevented by web sites which use https which is becoming the norm. With HTTPs your data is encrypted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I definitely have been trying to parse the privacy talk from the security application.

I use Nordvpn IKE on my macbook and iphone while traveling. Before I bought a subscription, I read a lot about Nordvpn product and I am trusting them completely.