What's new

[Release 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't know about you guys but I'm resetting to factory defaults and manually config to see what the legitimate changes really are.
After complete reconfig No change in memory usage. I set to factory defaults and reconfigured no change.

I updated my RT-AC88U today with the 382.1 Firmware and this is the first time that I’ve noticed any out of the ordinary indications. I always reset to default and establish a basic configuration before upgrading to a new firmware. After the Router is updated with new firmware, I perform a reset to defaults again and then perform my normal Router Configuration; then a power off reboot. I have 7 wired and 35 wireless devices on my network and I manually assign each one.

The first oddity is that my wireless Orbit Sprinkler Controller shows up in the Client List as a Wired Device. However, it shows up correctly in the Wireless Log as a 2.4Ghz device. I've removed and re-entered it, power cycled it and the Router, nothing changes this misrepresentation.

The second oddity is that my System log is flooded with the following unless I set “Log only messages more urgent than” to Warning. To the best of my knowledge I didn’t deviate from any prior settings since I use a printout of changes to go by. I did notice that “Optimize AMPDU aggregation” is set to Disable in the Wireless Professional Settings for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

Nov 12 17:22:39 kernel: CONSOLE: 029290.399 wl0: wlc_ampdu_rx_recv_delba: AMPDU OFF: tid 0 initiator 1 reason 39
Nov 12 17:23:12 kernel: CONSOLE: 029322.537 wl0: wlc_ampdu_rx_recv_delba: AMPDU OFF: tid 0 initiator 1 reason 39
Nov 12 17:23:30 kernel: CONSOLE: 029340.927 wl0: wlc_ampdu_resp_timeout: cleaning up resp tid 0 waiting forseq 0x25d for 200 ms
Nov 12 17:23:39 kernel: CONSOLE: 029349.943 wl0: wlc_ampdu_rx_recv_delba: AMPDU OFF: tid 0 initiator 1 reason 39
Nov 12 17:24:12 kernel: CONSOLE: 029382.377 wl0: wlc_ampdu_rx_recv_delba: AMPDU OFF: tid 0 initiator 1 reason 39

The first oddity is that my wireless Orbit Sprinkler Controller shows up in the Client List as a Wired Device. However, it shows up correctly in the Wireless Log as a 2.4Ghz device. I've removed and re-entered it, power cycled it and the Router, nothing changes this misrepresentation.

Seems to be a bug in Asus's new networkmap, also occurs with the stock firmware. You'll have to wait until they fix it. In the meant time, it's merely cosmetic, just ignore it.

The second oddity is that my System log is flooded with the following unless I set “Log only messages more urgent than” to Warning.

Same thing with stock firmware, Asus compiled the wireless driver with debug logging. Nothing I can do about it, it's been known since the first beta.

All I can say is WOW!!! ty soo much merlin.. only been running this 1 day but it is stable so far and QOS is actually working perfectly.. I cant even make it break... This is the 1st FW I've had on this badboy (rt-ac3100) I might actually be afraid to ever update lol.. thank you again for your great work! :)

I'm running bandwidth limiter and its now perfection. I got th full range of dhcp being throttled and a couple static out of dhcp being individually throttled as well and its all working perfectly :)

Last edited:
RMerlin; thank you very much for your response; it is very much appreciated!!! No problem, since I've never encountered a hiccup with your Firmware I thought I should mention the two anomalies. I was running your 380.68_4 before flashing to this release, so I didn't see any of the issues beforehand; guess I should have read the Beta Thread a little more closely!!!!! :oops:

Thanks for the firmware :)
While everything seems to be running fine, it's weird to see CPU1 utilization stay ~15-30% with everything set to default and no network traffic. turning on/off ai-protection/qos doesn't seems to have impact to the CPU usage. Was upgrading from beta4, and didn't think I had that issue. It all started after I did factory reset on final version. I also tried 30-30-30 reset, go back to beta4, and even tried to use firmware restoration utilities to go back to ASUS firmware. But it seems to be acting up on its own? Not sure if I am the only person experiencing this high CPU usage.

I'm at like 0-1% idle. ive got everything off running a double nat setup cuz I have to with static wan. but like everything off. running 2.4 in wifiG 20mhz chan6, 5hz on n/ac mode 40mhz chan44. ai-protection off, file sharing off, advanced wifi setting everything off except wmm apsd for mobile power saving. and running qos bandwidth limiter with my dhcp range limited and 3 separate devices static out of dhcp individually limited... things working flawlessly. I still find it too good to be true but 1day so far no issues

I did clear nvram before updating though then updated and did a factory reset from gui, then powered down, and then factory reset with the button on the back. and then re-entered all settings. thought id mention that incase it made the difference

Is there any way to stop

Nov 13 00:37:11 kernel: ERR[set_app_info_qos_meta:3361] It's a paid app, please assign a default bandwidth!

From filling up the log. It’s logging that every 2 minutes.

Is there a limit on how much is logged so it doesn’t fill up the memory?

What’s the difference between the “default message log level” and “log only messages more urgent than” settings?

ive never seen that in my logs. I have rt-ac3100 if it matters. I'm even downloading torrents atm testing cuz that used ot break the qos for me everytime buts its working perfectly and everything else is responsive including this site on the pc doing the torrents.

as for a limit you could raise the default log level maybe so it only saves more important logs. I think the default is what logs are displayed if your watching it and the log only etc is whats saved to the system log for viewing anytime. I think if I'm understanding them correctly

Last edited:
What’s the difference between the “default message log level” and “log only messages more urgent than” settings?

The first sets the "default" log level of messages without this specified (let's say 5 for example).

The second will make it so only messages higher then the specified log level get printed to syslog. So if this setting was set to 7, then loglevel messages lower then 7 wouldn't be printed.

Hi Rmerlin

IPTraffic for RT-AC86U is not supported for not HW limitation but only firmware limitation ? Next beta and add this feature ?

Thanks

I'm at like 0-1% idle. ive got everything off running a double nat setup cuz I have to with static wan. but like everything off. running 2.4 in wifiG 20mhz chan6, 5hz on n/ac mode 40mhz chan44. ai-protection off, file sharing off, advanced wifi setting everything off except wmm apsd for mobile power saving. and running qos bandwidth limiter with my dhcp range limited and 3 separate devices static out of dhcp individually limited... things working flawlessly. I still find it too good to be true but 1day so far no issues

I did clear nvram before updating though then updated and did a factory reset from gui, then powered down, and then factory reset with the button on the back. and then re-entered all settings. thought id mention that incase it made the difference
I also do nvram clear befor n after update; it's actually my first time getting this issue. When I downgrade to 380 based firmware, CPU utilitization back to normal ~0-1%. But once I change to 382 based, the CPU goes back to 15-30%. And that's with everything default, no ai-protection and qos.
6eduMJWll3ysqZJ23
Untitled.png
can't tell if there is anything actually wrong ;x

Last edited:
with my RT-AC88U; I've also observed more CPU usage regarding to version 380. At idle it's OK but when I torrent with 50mbit/s down CPU 1 gets around 70-80%, CPU2 gets around 5-10% which was 30-45% and 5-10% with 380.

and RAM usage was around 180-195MB now its around 230+MB. I use AiProtection, Skynet, AB-Solution with AB-Maximum (1,024,878 domains blocked). So I think all expected since AiProtection is more advanced in release 382.1.

Besides; all seems fine on mine.

I cleared the logs and my free memory went up by 50 MB. I’m hoping I don’t need to do that periodically and that the logs are at least truncated on their own periodically.

NAT acceleration should be "cut through forwarding". Flow acceleration is disabled.
Yep, I know it is CTF, but as tested when aiprotection is active, even you see CTF on, it is not working at all as it is being managed by the CPU reaching 100%

Yep, I know it is CTF, but as tested when aiprotection is active, even you see CTF on, it is not working at all as it is being managed by the CPU reaching 100%

With the AC86U and the new 382 code, Flow Cache is CTF and Runner is hardware acceleration. Runner does not work with AiProtect and QoS. Flow Cache still uses the CPU so that is why you still see it being hit as bandwidth goes up. Only Runner is true hardware acceleration bypassing the CPU completely.

Hi Rmerlin

IPTraffic for RT-AC86U is not supported for not HW limitation but only firmware limitation ? Next beta and add this feature ?

It's not supported because it relies on an old kernel module that is not compatible with Linux 4.1. It would need to be completely rewritten, which is way outside my field of expertise. So IPTraffic is unlikely to ever work on the RT-AC86U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!