What's new

[RELEASE] ECLIPSEMON v0.0.1 - Crazy Complex Solar Eclipse Astronomical Calculator to predict if a Solar Eclipse will appear today!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Viktor Jaep

Part of the Furniture
ECLIPSEMON v0.0.1
Updated April 8, 2024

Executive Summary: ECLIPSEMON is a crazy complex astronomical measurement script that will let you know if a Solar Eclipse is scheduled for today, giving pertinent info on what type of Eclipse (Total or Annular), max duration, and location(s) affected by its path. The database is up-to-date all the way out to 2027!

ECLIPSEMON is free to use under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPL 3.0).

This project is hosted on GitHub

Download link:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/ECLIPSEMON/main/eclipsemon.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/eclipsemon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/eclipsemon.sh"

Usage:
Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/eclipsemon.sh

Significant Screenshots:

This is the default screen when a Solar Eclipse is predicted for today... and what luck! Today is an Eclipse day! :)

1712593535742.png

Or on any other normal non-Eclipse day...

1712593596621.png

Enjoy!

<tongue-in-cheek>

Last edited:
<RESERVED>

Sorry everyone... HAD to do it. ;)

Why didn’t you tell me to get the router with me? Now I need to stare at the sky like a caveman. :(

Why didn’t you tell me to get the router with me? Now I need to stare at the sky like a caveman. :(
No need to go outside and look at an actual eclipse now that you have ECLIPSEMON! :p

Last edited:
Add remove the clouds as a menu option, please. Eclipse in 1h, you have 45min. Thank you!
Trying to create an API integration with the National Weather Service and NASA in order to tap into some cloud-blasting satellites... please stand by.

Please hurry, point the Cloud Buster over the Pacific Ocean now, the shadow is moving with >3500km/h!!!

Please hurry, point the Cloud Buster over the Pacific Ocean now, the shadow is moving with >3500km/h!!!
Targeting... almost theeerrrreeee.... just a teensy eensy bitsy mooorrree.... and, there y[CONNECTION HAS BEEN SEVERED]

Almost hit me on the head man! Are you drunk? Aim again and fire more precisely! 🤪

Ah well, sorry buddy, my RT-AX56U is in the luggage conveyor heaven at Las Vegas Airport so I can‘t test and release an amtm update in time.

I might catch a glimpse of the event on the plane when I depart at 2:45 pm back home.

We‘ll have to prepare better for 2044 or so for the next eclipse in the US.
@Tech9 let us have a visual after, just as I will post some pics eventually from my now ending trip here in the Southwestern deserts.

This was from the 70% "peak" at my vantage point captured on my Pixel 8 Pro like a complete amateur... but I'm sure @Tech9 is going to have some great ones to share! :) I will be ready for 2045!

1712606053731.png

Last edited:
Downtown Cleveland -- came for NCAA Women's Basketball Championship game and eclipse was a bonus!

Attachments

• 20240408_151530.jpg
    20240408_151530.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 25
Another perspective from Cleveland...

Attachments

• image000001 (4).jpg
    image000001 (4).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 25
Total eclipse of the sun!

Attachments

• IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Last edited:
Viktor, you have 2 years to improve the Cloud Buster code....

The weather did not cooperate, unfortunately. Rebooking the eclipse for August 12, 2026 in Spain.

It was really bad in my location, thick clouds decided to cover the sky right at totality moment.

1712625380967.png

We missed the crown completely, some shots through the clouds only were possible and had to be done quickly. Moving to another location was considered, but thousands of cars, narrow roads, many people, police, checkpoints - it was a bad idea. The wireless network collapsed after the eclipse, the Internet at the resort was good for text messages only. Going to a diving spot tomorrow at least to take some shots of marine life so the disappointment is not complete. Will ask for money back after I return home. 🤭

Viktor, you have 2 years to improve the Cloud Buster code....
Working on it as we speak... I blame sunspots for the failure earlier.

The weather did not cooperate, unfortunately. Rebooking the eclipse for August 12, 2026 in Spain
Sounds like a fun getaway! Looks like Northern Spain... another narrow window of opportunity there! Should give you a pretty nice corona at 0.8978! (not the beer)

I think I might go for a nice vacation on the northeast coast of Greenland... hope there's some sweet resorts out there!

1712627961186.gif

It was really bad in my location, thick clouds decided to cover the sky right at totality moment.

We missed the crown completely, some shots through the clouds only were possible and had to be done quickly. Moving to another location was considered, but thousands of cars, narrow roads, many people, police, checkpoints - it was a bad idea. The wireless network collapsed after the eclipse, the Internet at the resort was good for text messages only. Going to a diving spot tomorrow at least to take some shots of marine life so the disappointment is not complete. Will ask for money back after I return home. 🤭
Sounds like a madhouse. Some colorful sea creatures should cheer you right up! :) Enjoy your stay!

Last edited: