What's new

Replacement for my RTAC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pusb87

Regular Contributor
I am looking to update from my RT-AC86U to a newer Asus model that is supported by Merlin firmware.

The key thing I am interested in is throughput whilst running Open VPN clients. Currently with the 86U i can get d/l speeds of circa 200 -220 Mbps using VPN on a good day from an ISP of 350 Mbps d/l.

I will soon be getting 1Gig d/l from my ISP and so just wondering which Asus Router may have improved d/l capabilities when using Open VPN.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

RT-AX88U Pro

and i should have mentioned im primarily using ethernet connection where i would like improved throuhput

I do not think you will get 1Gbit OpenVPN with any available Asus router (500Mbit will be available). Wirequard will be close to 1Gbit

I would wait few months when wi-fi 7 routers will be more available as this is something I see point to upgrade router.

RT-AX88U Pro

This one won't improve OpenVPN speed much. The same type CPU core 1.8GHz vs 2.0GHz.

what d/l speeds may i expect when using openVPN ?

You may get 250-300Mbps on a good day. No home router will do Gigabit on OpenVPN. You need x86 CPU hardware.

This one won't improve OpenVPN speed much. The same type CPU core 1.8GHz vs 2.0GHz.

You may get 250-300Mbps on a good day. No home router will do Gigabit on OpenVPN. You need x86 CPU hardware.
true, but it supports wireguard

can it, I didnt know that, or is from one of the addons

The add-on is called Wireguard Session Manager and is available in AMTM.

The add-on is called Wireguard Session Manager and is available in AMTM.
Thanks for that.

Ive spent a bit of time looking at posts regarding the wireless manager etc for the 86u (386 firmware) and found it all to confusing and probably above my skill level .

I think I should wait till my 86u is no longer supported by Merlin and then look at something like the AX88U-Pro ( or its nearest match at the time) and use Merlins GUI versions of Wireguard implementation.

In truth I dont need anything like the sub Gigabit speeds where I use the VPN but I was just offered an upgrade from my ISP from 350 to 1 Gig for just a few £'s per month so I took the deal whilst it was there !!

Does that sound sensible ??

Thanks for that.

Ive spent a bit of time looking at posts regarding the wireless manager etc for the 86u (386 firmware) and found it all to confusing and probably above my skill level .

I think I should wait till my 86u is no longer supported by Merlin and then look at something like the AX88U-Pro ( or its nearest match at the time) and use Merlins GUI versions of Wireguard implementation.

In truth I dont need anything like the sub Gigabit speeds where I use the VPN but I was just offered an upgrade from my ISP from 350 to 1 Gig for just a few £'s per month so I took the deal whilst it was there !!

FYI - I upgraded my AX86U to the AX88U-Pro and now use the AX86U as a mesh device. I too was offered 1 Gb from my ISP and took it. As primary router, the AX88U-Pro gives me 944 Mbit / 40.4 Mbit consistently on speed tests without VPN (But all AI protections are enabled). So it should give you pretty decent speeds with VPN enabled. Using the 86U as a mesh device has greatly improved my experience with devices located far away from my primary router. Seems to be a great setup for me.

Attachments

• Speed.jpg
    Speed.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Mesh.jpg
    Mesh.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 15

Very sensible.
It might still be some time yet before Merlin drops the AC86, though. You'll probably have client devices that run better on wifi6/wireless-ax before then...and after, it can be used as an AP (for extra coverage/range) or maybe a media bridge that works almost as well as a wired switch.
I'd do (and am doing) the exact same as you did with your ISP package - watch for deals and jump when appropriate.

FYI - I upgraded my AX86U to the AX88U-Pro and now use the AX86U as a mesh device. I too was offered 1 Gb from my ISP and took it. As primary router, the AX88U-Pro gives me 944 Mbit / 40.4 Mbit consistently on speed tests without VPN (But all AI protections are enabled). So it should give you pretty decent speeds with VPN enabled. Using the 86U as a mesh device has greatly improved my experience with devices located far away from my primary router. Seems to be a great setup for me.
I too was planning to use my current AC86U as a mesh device once I buy another router.

If you don't really need this "mesh device" - don't reuse it just because you have it. Single router configuration works better.

True, but this is not what @pusb87 is asking for. RT-AC86U can run WireGuard as well.
running vpn through the router you are not going to get great speeds CPU just don't cut it

running vpn through the router you are not going to get great speeds

@pusb87 knows this already. The suggested model in post #2 may improve what he already has with about 12%.

AC86U is dual core. AX88U Pro is quad core.

I too was planning to use my current AC86U as a mesh device once I buy another router.
Before choosing a new router you should read here:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!