What's new

Solved router connected to ISP router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paque1960

New Around Here
Where I live all the available ISP provide you with a pretty poor wifi router as your connection.

So I connect the WAN port on my own wifi router to one of the LAN ports on the ISP wifi router. I then connect the rest of my network devices to my own wifi router.

There are very few settings i can change with the access level i have to the ISP router, I have disabled the wifi and that's all.

I am wondering if there are any settings i should change in my own router with this set up? for example I can see NAT is enabled on the ISP router should i disable it on my own router?

My network consists of

TP-Link Archer AX55 AX3000 4-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
TL-SG108PE Smart Switch connected to the above router
TP-Link AP WA 901ND connected to the above switch

All devices on my network either connect to the switch or to the AP wifi

Last edited:
Leave it as it is. It's a common double NAT setup used by many. If you have no specific issues or needs - no further configuration is needed.

Is the ISP's router causing you identifiable problems? If not, leave the setup as-is. You've effectively got two levels of protection against intrusions into your LAN, which is not a bad thing.
If the ISP's router is causing you identifiable problems ... do they require you to use their router? Maybe you could just take it out of the picture and connect your own router directly to the incoming line. Of course, that makes you fully responsible for your own network security.

Leave it as it is. It's a common double NAT setup used by many. If you have no specific issues or needs - no further configuration is needed.
The most common case where a double NAT will cause you difficulties is if you want to run some type of server on the network connecting to your second router.

The other issue is when you contact support for a network issue they may try and blame all the problems on the double NAT.

Gamers relying on UPnP also may have issues in double NAT configuration, but solving currently non-existing problems is not needed.

I have been running my own router including a server with external access behind the ISP's router for many years now. I configured the ISP routers LAN IP to my routers WAN as DMZ, switched all ISP router wifi, firewall and filter functionality off and for the rest opened up ports 80 and 443 on the ISP router LAN IP (WAN IP for my own pfSense box) to get access to my server. It has been working perfectly so far.

Important is to make sure that both routers are on a separate subnet.

Is the ISP's router causing you identifiable problems? If not, leave the setup as-is. You've effectively got two levels of protection against intrusions into your LAN, which is not a bad thing.
If the ISP's router is causing you identifiable problems ... do they require you to use their router? Maybe you could just take it out of the picture and connect your own router directly to the incoming line. Of course, that makes you fully responsible for your own network security.
It is not causing me any problems that I know of, its just there are so many articles on the net about double NAT. I wish I could get them to just give me a modem but thats not going to happen (im in Indonesia). I see some of the posts below are going into changing settings in the ISP router but as I said in my first post I dont have admin access to the router. Being that i dont do online gaming or run a server as mentioned below no issue for now.
I would like to get remote access to my network but i guess thats a different story......for another day