What's new

RT-AC86U Upgrade Path

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bertilak

Regular Contributor
Looks Like RT-AC86U is at end of life:
- NOTE: all the models supported by Asuswrt-Merlin on the
386_xx series are now officialy on Asus' End of Life
list, which means unless there are new major security
issues, no new updates will be provided by Asus.

What is the best upgrade path? What should I replace it with that will have a nice long support period?
I assume an AX model.

As long as your expected ISP speeds will be 2.5Gbps or less, the best bang for the buck router is the RT-AX88U Pro.

There is no crystal ball for determining which router will have the long support cycle we all want. But hedging your bets by not buying the most expensive 'flagship' models is a good start. (i.e. AXE and BE models, today).

L&LD, thanks.

Since I am moving from an AC86U it seems like the AX86U would be a obvious choice.

Amazon makes it hard to compare the AC86U to the AX88U since their comparison charts are not apples-to-apples. The one difference I can see is 5700mbs vs 6000mbs but there is nothing to tell me why there is this difference. Might that extra antenna have something to do with it?

What about the XT8 systems -- AX6600? I get two for less than twice the price of one AX88U. Also, they look like a more convenient form factor. Does the AX88U have something the XT8 systems don't have? I seem to remember that there is something different between the white and the black XT8s other than the color. Is this true?

P.S. I had been considering moving to a mesh system even before hearing about the end-of-life for the AC86U. I'd like to iron out that issue before making any changes.

Last edited:
Amazon makes it hard to compare the AC86U to the AX88U since their comparison charts are not apples-to-apples. The one difference I can see is 5700mbs vs 6000mbs but there is nothing to tell me why there is this difference. Might that extra antenna have something to do with it?
I assume you mean the RT-AX86U not the RT-AC86U. The difference is the AX86U has 3 streams on 2.4GHz whereas the AX88U has 4 streams on 2.4GHz. On 5GHz they both have 4 streams (the AX86U's forth antenna is internal).

Colin, thanks. Yes I made a typo. Something skipped a track! All those ACs, AXs, 86s and 88s make my eyes cross. Throw in a couple of XTs and things get really messy.

And thanks for the info.

I'm on the same boat, although my AC86U is still going strong and no plans on upgrading yet (Latest Asus firmware is best to date and 90 days uptime)...have been contemplating going AX86U PRO or a diff Asus router!

I'm on the same boat, although my AC86U is still going strong and no plans on upgrading yet (Latest Asus firmware is best to date and 90 days uptime)...have been contemplating going AX86U PRO or a diff Asus router!
Yes, this router has been very good to me. I use Merlin firmware.

I do have some concerns:
  1. I have gigabit fiber service but my router only gets between 500 mbs down and 600 mbs up directly from the gigabit ethernet connection.
  2. Wireless speeds in the house are about 315 mbs down and 360 mbs up.
  3. Now of course I have an end-of-life concern!
None of those are urgent.

Last edited:
Yes, this router has been very good to me. I use Merlin firmware.

I do have some concerns:
  1. I have gigabit fiber service but my router only gets between 500 mbs up and 600 mbs down directly from the gigabit ethernet connection.
  2. Wireless speeds in the house are about 315 mbs down and 360 mbs up.
  3. Now of course I have an end-of-life concern!
I have 1GB cable and get roughly same speeds wired and wireless (no issues with speed).

getting your speeds...Amazon has the ax86u pro on sale $219 free shipping for prime members...so I may upgrade sooner than l8r!

Last edited:
The RT-AX86U (and possibly the /s version too) has no updates planned for the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (whenever that may happen...). So considering buying that model is futile and a waste of money.

When I say the best bang for the buck model, that is exactly what I mean. And the RT-AX88U Pro is the only serious contender for that title today (for Asus routers with RMerlin support).

With regards to the ZenWifi systems, waste of time and money. Avoid at all costs for currently available models.

Last edited:

You can continue using your router, just don't open any services to Internet. When time comes the replacement model is RT-AX86U Pro. In case you need or will use 2x 2.5GbE ports - RT-AX88U Pro. If you like weird looking devices with RGB lights - GT-AX6000. All about the same hardware in different shape, all with similar performance.

I swapped my RT-AC86U for an RT-AX86U Pro five days ago and couldn't be happier with it. The RT-AX88U Pro is not available in my country (Australia), so it was a choice between the older, more expensive GT-AX6000 and the RT-AX86U Pro. I generally won't buy any device that hurts my eyes to look at and I have no need for the extra 2.5GB port, so the RT-AX86U Pro was an easy choice. Loaded up Merlin firmware immediately and it's been excellent.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!