What's new

rt-ac88u + synology ds 415+ link bonding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pete y testing

Very Senior Member
hi guys

have the above setup and has enabled link bonding in the 88u and setup bonding in the 415+ but im not seeing any extra throughput

have 1 ethernet connected comp that can download at 117 MB/s

if i start a second download on a different ethernet connected comp of the same file the first slows to about 70 MB/s and the second 40MB/s

so its apparent the bonding isnt working

the 415+ is set for

IEEE 802.3ad dynamic link aggregation

see

https://www.synology.com/en-global/...p/DSM/AdminCenter/connection_network_linkaggr

or is there a different setting i should use

hdd are setup in jbod mode

pete

Last edited:
JBOD does not increase disk performance and is one reason may not be seeing a difference.

You need a RAID0/5/10 with enough disks (3 or more) to see disk performance increase more than an 1GbE Ethernet connection can do.

Or, have the disk be all ssd's.

hi

atm they are just 4 x 1TB hdds 7200 spin but i didnt think the hdd's where the issue and the 1 gig limit was the ethernet and that turning on bonding should double that speed irrelevent of the hdd's , its just im not seeing any improvement , might throw the ssd's in it and see if it makes any difference but i suspect its not the frives but rather the bonding not actually working

pete

just tried

adaptive load balancing and balanced xor with the same results , just hits the same 117MB/s wall shared between the downloads , will try and reformat with raid and see how it goes with these drives first

further changing to synology hybrid raid see's the same 117 MB/s limit no matter if its 1 orr 2 downloading , so the bonding is not working

so checking the traffic monitor there is traffic on both bond 1 and bond 2 with 2 simultaneous reads coming from the 415+ ( from different comps ) but the are approx 1/2 of the 117MB/s max

suggesting that the bond is working but the supposed 2000mbps is not as its still limited to 1000mbps / 117 MB/s max

Last edited:
have the above setup and has enabled link bonding in the 88u and setup bonding in the 415+ but im not seeing any extra throughput

have 1 ethernet connected comp that can download at 117 MB/s

if i start a second download on a different ethernet connected comp of the same file the first slows to about 70 MB/s and the second 40MB/s

Wonder if you're saturating the SoC switch fabric - should be getting better rates than what you're seeing...

What happens if you move from the RT-AC88U to a managed switch that support link aggregation?

What happens if you move from the RT-AC88U to a managed switch that support link aggregation?

havnt got one so will have to go look for one to test

And what happens with iPerf2/3 and iozone?
will test this later in the week when im back home ( on the road for work atm ) , i generally only test with smb copy and paste

And if you're doing SMB/CIFS copy (read/write), is SMB3 enabled on the NAS?
will check this as well , is it normally on by default ?

pete

havnt got one so will have to go look for one to test

will test this later in the week when im back home ( on the road for work atm ) , i generally only test with smb copy and paste

will check this as well , is it normally on by default ?

pete

Some do, some don't - and typically it's an option to enable - backwards compat thing...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!