What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

do you have any mu-mimo clients yet as normal clients dont or cant use mu-mimo ? , as almost none of us have yet broadcom suggest mu-mimo will be ready by mid year but at this stage its no biggie , the rest of the 88u works great both in wireless coverage and performance

I like the RT-AC88U, but am leery because of the SNB review ... I have been watching for firmware updates and there was one on May 27. However, at the bottom of the ASUS downloads page, the Multi-Mu firmare is still listed as Alpha (Dec 2015).

Does anyone know if the May 27 firmware includes Multi-MU functionality, or is the Dec 2015 Alpha Multi-Mu firmware totally separate and therefore still not ready for prime time per the SNB review?

Thanks.

MU-MIMO for this router is in BETA form. And will be in BETA from till the FCC makes MU-MIMO official some time soon. Good luck finding any MU-MIMO ready clients.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

do you have any mu-mimo clients yet as normal clients dont or cant use mu-mimo ? , as almost none of us have yet broadcom suggest mu-mimo will be ready by mid year but at this stage its no biggie , the rest of the 88u works great both in wireless coverage and performance

I think folks are generally going to be very under-whelmed with MU - it's not a speed thing, it's a capacity thing - and it takes at least 2 MU capable clients to even be considered...

FCC has nothing to do with MU...
My Asus POC stated none of their MU-MIMO firmware will be Official until the FCC gives them approval. Just relaying the message. Don't shoot the messenger. LOL!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

My Asus POC stated none of their MU-MIMO firmware will be Official until the FCC gives them approval.

Perhaps - they could be submitting a permissive change, related to HW perhaps, but the FCC only cares about limits, not how it's done.

Been there, done that, got the project t-shirts for the win

Your secret source at Asus is probably gaffing you off with an excuse for the delay...

Perhaps - they could be submitting a permissive change, related to HW perhaps, but the FCC only cares about limits, not how it's done.

Your secret source at Asus is probably gaffing you off with an excuse for the delay...
True. I'll get back with them and let you know. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Dude sorry my bad. It was the Wi-Fi Alliance's approval.

mu-mimo-cert.png

Hello to all,

I have some issues with the RT-88U that you may be able to help me with.
I'm running the latest official fw.
Issue 1: I have internal DNS servers that forward requests to google DNS. I receive warnings from trendmicro and see dropped packets in the log all pointing to google DNS using UDP and port 53 while the internal ports used vary (usually high-numbered ports). Anyone knows how to allow this traffic?
Issue 2: Parental controls WiFi scheduling does not seem to work. Using the android app one can enable or disable Internet access to specific macs. Does this setting override the WiFi schedule? Does the Internet access need to be set to no and then the schedule will override it?
Issue 3: I want to disable all radios during specific day times. This setting also does not seem to work, any ideas?
Issue 4: LACP does not work. I used managed switch that already carries a number of LACPs (some 4 ports, some 2 ports). When I enable LACP for the RT-AC88U the switch reports back a loop. Anyone know a way to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Is there a list for the asus router with regards to its regions with channels allowed on it with the power levels?

I know some as in Europe it is based on Germany but wondered if someone had compiled a list.

Thanks

I dont think there is an ac88u with all the channels allowed. The US has all the channels allowed. I wouldnt complain about power levels, 100mW is good for indoors. You wont find a consumer router manufacturer with all the channels allowed. I have an ac88u which says its from germany and it only allows every 4 channels from 36 to 140 except for some channels so they take the least internationally. It doesnt matter where you get your ac88u from they will all have the same channels and tx power.

If you're in the UK and you're in a place littered with superhubs you can use channel 140 as the superhubs dont have it.

As for LACP many cheap managed switches may not support the type of LACP used. Make sure STP is used on all switch chips.

RMerlin's firmware actually fixes some issues like disabling nmap so the GUI doesnt time out.

Hi, new to the forums. Just purchased this router to replace my Asus RT-N66U.

Just ponder if using the n66u as a wireless range extender is possible or even worthwhile.

Delivery should arrive any minute now :)

Hoping my settings from the N66u will carry over.

Toon

you cant carry over the settings, many things are different. What i would first do is install the latest RMerlin firmware for this. The added features and tweaks you can do is worth it.

you cant carry over the settings, many things are different. What i would first do is install the latest RMerlin firmware for this. The added features and tweaks you can do is worth it.
Will that play havoc with the warranty? Further to that....what significant changes does Merlin firmware offer over the official firmware?

Toon

OK so just got the router up & running. It's completely standard except with the latest firmware.

One question prior to installing MERLIN: When firmware updates release, can I still use the firmware checker within the ASUS WEB UI or the mobile app? Or do I have to check forums/websites for latest release periodically and manually update?

Just a query...not a biggy

Thank you

Toon

OK so just got the router up & running. It's completely standard except with the latest firmware.

One question prior to installing MERLIN: When firmware updates release, can I still use the firmware checker within the ASUS WEB UI or the mobile app? Or do I have to check forums/websites for latest release periodically and manually update?

Just a query...not a biggy

Thank you

Toon

I didn't implement any update checker. You have to manually check on the website - I always display the latest version available on the left sidebar.

I didn't implement any update checker. You have to manually check on the website - I always display the latest version available on the left sidebar.
OK fair enough, is it something you may look to implement down the line?

TY for your swift response.

Toon

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!